Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 06-12-2006, 03:40 AM   #1
Poptart
Intake

Poptart is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Just got a Supra

Hello, I am new to this whole car thing...but

I just bought a 1987 Toyota Supra today...

It is pretty much stock, all I need is to replace a few small things...since it doesn't run right now..

I am wondering on what to put in it, as upgrade wise, it doesn't have turbo in it...I was thinking about putting that in there...

If you have any questions to ask me....or tell me what is good to start putting in the vehicle..I would like to learn about some more things with cars...so please don't make fun of my stupid questions if I ask any.. =)

Thanks,
Ken
Poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:40 AM   #2
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road

My best advice is to worry about getting it running and road worthy first before you even THINK about upgrades. Solid running engine, good brakes, decent tires, functioning heat/AC, all lights and electricals working...those are all things you should spend your budget on first.

After that there are a lot of upgrades that can be done very reasonably. Exhaust, cold air intake, lowering springs, minor body mods, JDM parts...it all really depends on what your budget is and what kind of skills you have in turning wrenches.

Welcome to my obsession! keep your head and arms inside the ride at all times!

Eagles may soar, but weezl's never get sucked into jet engines!

theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Poptart
Intake

Alright, well first it has an electrical problem and isn't running...so I am trying to figure where that is...needs new belts...distributor...

But, after all that if I can figure this crap out (Trust me, I have no clue to what I am doing most of the time) But..I have the repair manual I have been looking at...I am not going to go around pulling all the crap apart...Just right now..Cleaning out interior...washed it all down...so it looks halfway decent...now time to work on the engine..

It tries to start over..but it won't...so any suggestions?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road

An internal combustion engine needs 3 things to run: fuel, spark, and compression. The easiest one on to check on a Supra is spark. Pull a spark plug out, using an insulated or non metal tool hold the threaded part of the plug against ground somewhere. Have someone crank the engine, if you got nice blue spark your electricals are fine.

Fuel and compression are little hard to check. you need to see if you have adequate fuel pressure at the injectors but you need a fuel pressure gauge to do it properly. I dont know for sure on the Supra 'cause I havent had to get in there and check myself, but usually there is a fuel pressure relief valve somewhere on the the fuel rail. It looks like a tire valve basically. if you press the valve you should get a squirt of fuel. if there is no valve on the Supra, you might just be able to squeeze the soft supply line going to the fuel rail and see if if it feels like there is pressure there. Otherwise your going to have to buy or borrow a fuel pressure gauge.

Compression is relatively easy to check, it just requires the proper tool. any auto parts store should have one. You simply place the testers hose in place of each spark plug and crank the engine over. Read your higest compression and watch for leakdown, then move on to the next plug.

So in short, test for spark, test for fuel pressure, test for compression...whichever one is your issue will require further diagnostics, but at least you will have a place to start.

Eagles may soar, but weezl's never get sucked into jet engines!

theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Poptart
Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWeezL
An internal combustion engine needs 3 things to run: fuel, spark, and compression. The easiest one on to check on a Supra is spark. Pull a spark plug out, using an insulated or non metal tool hold the threaded part of the plug against ground somewhere. Have someone crank the engine, if you got nice blue spark your electricals are fine.

Fuel and compression are little hard to check. you need to see if you have adequate fuel pressure at the injectors but you need a fuel pressure gauge to do it properly. I dont know for sure on the Supra 'cause I havent had to get in there and check myself, but usually there is a fuel pressure relief valve somewhere on the the fuel rail. It looks like a tire valve basically. if you press the valve you should get a squirt of fuel. if there is no valve on the Supra, you might just be able to squeeze the soft supply line going to the fuel rail and see if if it feels like there is pressure there. Otherwise your going to have to buy or borrow a fuel pressure gauge.

Compression is relatively easy to check, it just requires the proper tool. any auto parts store should have one. You simply place the testers hose in place of each spark plug and crank the engine over. Read your higest compression and watch for leakdown, then move on to the next plug.

So in short, test for spark, test for fuel pressure, test for compression...whichever one is your issue will require further diagnostics, but at least you will have a place to start.
Thanks for you response WeezL, I will let you know on further information =)
Old 06-15-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
sxy_blk_supra
Stock

sxy_blk_supra is on a distinguished road

I just bought one too... Mines an 88... LOL maybe We can build these things together,,, um Mine is running but still stock... got a bigger dump pipe on it though thats it
sxy_blk_supra is offline   Reply With Quote