Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 03-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
scruffboy
walbro fp

scruffboy is on a distinguished road
Default Scruffboy needs help!

Hi guys (and gals),

If you read my previous post you are aware that my door was hit by a truck while I was broke down on the shoulder. I have his registration, name, company, etc. I do not have a police report. I was in the middle of nowhere without my cellphone and was not thinking clearly. Once I get an estimate for the door, how should I proceed? The company boss said if it was reasonable he would work with me. What if he gives me a line of bull? Do I have any recourse in this matter? Any legal begals out there want to give me some advice, or maybe just someone who has been through something like this before.

Any help appreciated,

Scruffboy

P.S. You guys are the best. There's not a better Supra forum around.
scruffboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:11 AM   #2
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

i think you can file a case against them if they refuse to pay... but hey what do i know, im only a senior in high school. you said all you need is hinges, you can find some somewhere im sure. good luck, and hope you dont run into any more bad luck...
Old 03-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
scruffboy
walbro fp

Default Re: Door Trouble

Well, I'm back on the road, the car runs great, but the door is a little more than hinges. One auto body shop spit out a $1300 estimate (insane). Toyota wants $900 just for the door panel. I spoke to a guy I know who has done body work for me before and he said it will need to be pulled some but he could hook me up for $500. I will tell this company if their driver (he said it would have to come out of his pocket) gives me $300 I'll be happy, I ain't lookin to juice nobody, but the guy did hit my door. I have been writing for a local paper and as a reporter I've gotten to know a lot of cops. They say that since I have all the info from this guy I can still file a report. They said that half the time they don't respond to fender benders and just tell the people to exchange insurance info, and I did that. I was just hoping someone else out there may have gotten hit before and would be able to tell me what they had to go through.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

i understand that you don't wanna rip anyone but with the guy that quoted $500 i would put the dude that hit ur car into direct contact with him so he can pay...
don't ask for $300 coz then you have to shell out $200 and why should you

get quotes all on paper... and show them all to the guy and he'll see the cheapest and should pay up

good luck with it

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
scruffboy
walbro fp

Default Re: Quotes

Yeah, your right. I sent the guy quotes from regular body shops showing an average of $1200 of damage and also the quote from toyota of $980 just for the door, no labor. I asked for $400 and he readily agreed. Like I said, the money will come out of this drivers check, and I don't want to stick it to anyone who works for a living. So now I just have to shell out $100 from my pocket to get the door straightened. By the way, I love the pictures of your build, especially the motor sitting on what looks like the kitchen table, lol. I now have my car in pretty good mechanical shape. New water pump, clutch, belts, hoses, battery, magnaflo cat, full tune up, etc;. I would like to get the body into shape. Except for the door, and a little ding in the front fender, its in pretty reasonable shape. The body work is not something I would like to tackle myself. What can I expect to pay to get this car looking "pretty"? Any idea folks?

Thanks,

Scruffboy
Old 03-15-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
j3pz
500whp yet?

j3pz is on a distinguished road

just a little comment real quick... its not sticking it to anybody if they did something, he hit your door, he should have to pay. you didnt do anything wrong unless you threw the door open, knowing he was going to hit it... im not trying to say what your doin is wrong but you shouldnt have to pay anything.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
scruffboy
walbro fp

Default Re: Stickin it

Well, its done with. I accepted the offer and will put $100 out of my pocket. Then I would like to really get some work done on the body. I will be coming into some cash soon as I'm getting a nice IRS refund and our union negotiated a contract that pays back raises, payable in lump sum. I should be able to put together about $2500 by spring. Can that buy me some nice body work and paint?

Scruff
Old 03-16-2006, 06:45 AM   #8
sportriderseattle
3" Exhaust

sportriderseattle is on a distinguished road
Default sticking it

well I agree that if someone causes damage to you they owe you, however its nice to see someone so honest and reasonable. Its all about karma and you clearly have great karma. It'll come back to you in a good way. its nice to hear there are still some good people out there.
Dan
sportriderseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
scruffboy
walbro fp

Default Reply to Dan

Thanks Dan, you made my day. This situation has had me a little down, but I now realize it is only a machine, things could have been much worse.

Sincerely,

James