Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 01-25-2006, 04:24 AM   #11
NvrFstEnuff
Stock

NvrFstEnuff is on a distinguished road

Anyone else?
NvrFstEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:25 AM   #12
WiseAssJester
3" Exhaust

WiseAssJester is on a distinguished road

My suggestion, go to Hondas site and pull up the NSX.

Costs more then(considerably), weighs more than(noticable), produces less power than(dramatically) a Corvette.

You can pull the cars up on Hondas site.

BTW, my info is about a month or two old.

I don't like the NSX platform. They.. don't do anything for me.
WiseAssJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

lifesnotfair is on a distinguished road
Default Hrm...

NeverFastEnough: When you said you wanted a "fast daily driver", I could've guessed many things, but.... you want a 10 sec daily driver? Lol, that's kinda funny.

Yes, I'm guessing you'll need over 600 hp @ the WHEELS at least, to get there... but I might not know what I'm talking about.

There is a guy in z32power.com with a 300ZX as a daily driver... he can do 11.something, I don't remember how many HP he has, but I think it was over the 600 @ the wheels.. he even made a custom made little fuel tank with race gas (high octane), and with the press of a switch, BOOM, the fuel is drawn from that tank instead of the normal fuel tank. Insane stuff. Wanna know the best part of it? He runs the STOCK wheels! Hah... 16" I think... with semi-slick tyres I think, Nitto or something, don't remember.

Want my honest opinion? Whoever drives a 10 sec car daily, is nutz! =P It takes a lot to reach those 10 secs. And it's just not HP... then you gotta make the car take off nicely from the line, coz you'll wheelspin like a madman. :P
Old 01-25-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrFstEnuff
...Supra TT Mark IV - ...Twin turbo's are my selling point which I've always wanted a TT'd car...
Actuallly, TT's are generally more suitable to V-config engines (v6,v8,v10, etc.). The thing that makes the MKIV Supra's TT special is the fact that they run sequentially. Other than that one fact, there's no significant difference between the performance of two small turbos or one turbo twice the size on an inline-6 engine.
Quote:
...The car to me seems setup for the option of going to bigger turbo's from the factory but I could be wrong...
Sorry, there are no larger-than-stock TT's available from the factory. In fact, there are no sequential larger-than-stock TT's available from anyone.

Quote:
...BUT not sure on the forged internals part...
The internals are already forged (or close enough). The generally-accepted reliable max on oem internals is 850rwhp through a 6spd (i.e. 1000hp at the crank). The 'record' single-dyno-pull on oem internals is near 1100rwhp (about 1300hp at the crank)

Quote:
...if the 6 spd's are reliable/rear ends as well...
Yes ... in fact, over 1250rwhp (produced by 2jz-gte's with 'built' internals) has been repeatedly & reliably run at the dragstrip on through the oem 6spd and the oem diff. Iow, the entire 6spd driveline (other than the oem clutch) is rock-solid. The oem auto tranny isn't quite as beefy, and does need upgraded internals above about 500rwhp.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-25-2006 at 04:41 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:48 PM   #15
NvrFstEnuff
Stock

So I could even get the TT car and even just make it one big turbo. Turbo lag would then come into play obviously just don't know how much it would cause. This is all great info guys keep it coming, I dont even know if ill be comfortable in a supra but Im going to wait until my 97 Cobra is sold before I start looking. Its either this car or an 04 Cobra now which would be a great car but there are so many around here and Im starting to bore with them. I do understand the idea behind the sequential TT setup what I meant was that the car is setup TT'd from the factory so going with bigger turbo's wouldn't be that much of an undertaking. Sorry for the confusing post. Hell Id be happy with an 11 second daily driver and then I can turn it up to try for 10s on the weekends at the track. Something like that in my area would be a car no one would go after I know that. Mostly stock/slightly modded cars 12 sec+ and bad mouth'd drivers.

The driveline on this car seems almost limitless for what I want it for, but am I correct in saying the stock 2jz driveline differs greatly from the 2jz gte driveline?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:34 PM   #16
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
So I could even get the TT car and even just make it one big turbo. Turbo lag would then come into play obviously just don't know how much it would cause...
If you converted to a single turbo, additional lag may not be as big an issue as you might think. Note that there have been some advances in turbocharger technology since mid-to-late '92 when the Mkiv Supra's oem twins were spec'd. For example, if you got a modern-day single turbo that was exactly twice the flow capacity of one of the oem twins, there would be more lag than with the oem twins operating in sequential mode, but less lag than the oem twins operating in parallel.

Quote:
...I do understand the idea behind the sequential TT setup what I meant was that the car is setup TT'd from the factory so going with bigger turbo's wouldn't be that much of an undertaking...
Unfortunately you're wrong there. The Mkiv Supra's oem twins are two very custom twins squeezed into a very tight configuration. Replacing them with a bigger pair while still preserving the sequential operation is just not feasible.

Quote:
...The driveline on this car seems almost limitless for what I want it for, but am I correct in saying the stock 2jz driveline differs greatly from the 2jz gte driveline?
Yes. To be more precise, the 2jz-ge driveline differs greatly from the 2jz-gte driveline.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-25-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:07 AM   #17
NvrFstEnuff
Stock

Cool man your really helping me out. Personally I didnt like the idea of the "sequential" anyways. Seems as if there would be a slight or even larger downtime where the boost drops for a bit then spools back up with the second one. What size are the stock turbo's on them now? I was thinking of going with a 60-70mm single and just keep the boodt at a low/moderate level for around 400 on the street which I used to do in my 89 mustang gt, and that was great. But come track time I want to turn it up a bit more to around 500+ if possible.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:24 AM   #18
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Cool man your really helping me out. Personally I didnt like the idea of the "sequential" anyways. Seems as if there would be a slight or even larger downtime where the boost drops for a bit then spools back up with the second one...
Toyota invested a LOT of resources to make the sequential transition as smooth as possible. There is a separate actuator for the prespool...and the oem fuel & timing curves have been extensively 'tweaked' too. Oh, and it doesn't spool back up with the second one after the transition...it spools back up with both.

Quote:
...What size are the stock turbo's on them now?...
CT12B's.

Quote:
...I was thinking of going with a 60-70mm single and just keep the boodt at a low/moderate level for around 400 on the street...But come track time I want to turn it up a bit more to around 500+ if possible.
You don't need a 70mm turbo to make 500rwhp...a 60 would be fine.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:40 AM   #19
NvrFstEnuff
Stock

Would a 60mm handle putting the car within 9 seconds of a 1/4 mile as long as the driving/rest of the car is supported with the proper equipment to handle the power.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:46 AM   #20
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Would a 60mm handle putting the car within 9 seconds of a 1/4 mile as long as the driving/rest of the car is supported with the proper equipment to handle the power.
No...not unless you're spraying LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of nos too...