Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 01-17-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
vtec_545

i want to buy Toyota Supra but i want to modify her up to 500hp or more and i can't found out still what's better to take non-turbo Supra or Supra Twin-Turbo? As there will be a lot work to do and a great deal of parts will be changed and thrown away, i want to now what's the most painless way to do that. perhaps anyone had the expirience, would be great to know that. thx B)
Old 01-17-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
gunnersmate_2nd_class
Stock

gunnersmate_2nd_class is on a distinguished road

I am a high performance car lover and have had the pleasure of rebuild 3 complete cars. In your case, there are a few things to consider here before making plans about what you want to do. As far as non-turbo and twin turbo cars of any sort, both can be very painful. Since you are wanting to hit 500 hp or more, you must figure out how to do this. Most likely, you are going to find yourself either upgrading the twin turbo kit or buying a new one for a car without turbos. First, look at your options. If you buy the car with the twin turbos, basically everything is set for the car with only minor tweeking to get the performance desired. But if your car is only hitting 350 hp instead of the 500 that you really want, then you have to upgrade. This means that you are going to have to find the kit that is going to provide you with enough power. This means that you are going to have to buy a larger fan and the neccessary parts to install it. But if you go this route you must establish you intake and exhaust limits. For example; you install a much larger turbo on your Supra and it requires a particular high performance intake manifold, but you keep your stock on, the end result may damage the intake manifold or the even blow the welds off. So as you start to upgrade your turbo kits, you MUST upgrade everything else that is affected. As far as getting a non-turbo and adding a turbo kit, you are looking to do about the same amount of work as you would be just upgrading the twin turbo kit. But the difference is that you don't have to uninstall the old kit or worry about throwing a lot of parts away. Plus you get more pride knowing that you did everything from beginning to end. I would personally get the non-turbo and buy a whole new engine from a junk yard or something of that nature. Doing it this way, you can choose a much larger engine like the 2JZ and continue to build on with out to many problems. Also, while you rebuild this entire new engine, you can still drive on the old one and get well aquainted with your new car before going all the way with what you want. Most importantly, make sure that you have an expert there to assist you in any way. Best thing to do is get yourself into a safety class or something along those lines because there are other parts that you must get or you are going to total your car. Just make sure you are comfortable knowing what you are doing with turbo's. If you have questions, my email is gunnersmate_2nd_class@hotmail.com or my number is 619-757-0863. Names Orion!
gunnersmate_2nd_class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
JayMark

Humm, you obviously don't know much about supras eh? Do you actually know what turbos are and what they do? Hem, well, if you go N/A (non-turbo) you can maby archeive 500hp but only with tredemous amounts of money, time and even nitrous. With the twin-turbo version, you can easily go to over 800hp with the same amount of money.

To get 500hp at the crank, you could go for a BPU++. It costs less than $2000 in all and it includes:

- Electronics (boost controler etc.)
- Bigger downpipe
- Less restrictive exhaust (that will sound better also)
- Lighter cam gears
- Lighter crank pulley
- Bigger and stiffer blow-off valve (better response and effectivness)

With those few mods you can go from 320bhp to 500bhp (a little more than 400whp) if your car is in great conditions, dosen't have too much milleage and is carefully modded by professionals.

You could also break the 800hp barrier with under $10 000 but that's another story.

Good luck with your project dude, you chose the right car!
Old 01-25-2005, 01:02 AM   #4

Oh I just took a look at the first reply and if I may suggest: don't listen to him! Well, he's got some truth but saying that going from N/A to turbo is no more work than changing your stock turbos is NOT TRUE.

The non-turbo supra engine is not at all like the turbo one so if you want to convert it to a turbo one you have to change MANY things. Keep in mind that the N/A is set to use air at the atmospheric pressure. If you cram in compressed air from a turbo, you have to change a lot of parts to get the right compression ratio for an example. And that's only one of the many things.

I've already seen such a thing (N/A to turbo) but it's even more expensive than buying a turbo supra engine in the first place.

If you chose to get a supra, get the turbo one. The supra is well know for it's remarkably strong engine that can handle 800+hp on STOCK internals. Also keep in mind that it's only a 3.0L engine so without forced induction (turbo) you can't except to get THAT much power.

Turbo all the way.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
JOE
Stock

JOE is on a distinguished road

Yes the best option would be to buy a turbo rather than a Non-turbo because would get more power out of the engine. 800bhp?
JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
vtec_545

see this one and say what you think of that
http://www.supraturbo.com/street_power_jan...an-feb%2098.htm
Old 01-28-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

alrite my turn finally

no the na-t takes a little more than the straight 7mgte swap... and a few things to change... ie.. pistons, drilling for oil feeds, oil feeds for piston squirters etc ... it can be done but takes alot of fiddly work.. and machining by your machine shop

yes turbo's are way more fun than non turbo's... but you get what's available... you can always find the 7mgte and transplant it later on or do the na-t conversion 7mgte will probably be easier

do a search on supraforums.com and on there you should find everything you need

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:29 AM   #8
22Two
Stock

22Two is on a distinguished road

DUDE WHICH ONE SOUNDS BETTER!! HAHA! not that hard if you ask me! GO FOR THE TWIN!
22Two is offline   Reply With Quote