Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 11-04-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
GCPRO
Stock

GCPRO is on a distinguished road
Default Weirdest Non-Starting Problem

I could not find this problem reported in another thread. It has been plaguing me for years now. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Problem:
  • Car randomly will not start
Vehicle info
  • 1990 Supra with 7MGE JDM engine replacement 3 yr ago
  • T-top
  • Viper alarm
Symptoms
  • Not related to humidity, temp, engine temp, etc.
  • Flicking key repeatedly sometimes gets it to proceed
  • Leaving car unlocked seems to make a difference
  • Not using Viper (use old style key in door to lock/unlock) seems to improve things
What’s been tried
  • Replaced starter motor 2 times over last couple of years. Another one (Bosch this time) is going in this weekend (not expecting it to make a difference)
  • Replaced battery
  • Battery power and ground cables replaced
  • Ignition switch and tumbler replaced
  • Replaced relay supplying V to starter solenoid
My intuition is that the Toyota theft deterrent system is disallowing it to start, although I am not sure how to test/fix this. I got frustrated trying to follow the aftermarket Viper wiring installation and gave up.

Anyone else see such weirdness? Any ideas?
GCPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
SupraMan1784
SP58GT

SupraMan1784 is on a distinguished road

before i read that last sentence i was gonna say its teh factory security system...there should be a thread either here in general questions or the mk3 thread that talks about this a little more, if you replaced the ignition and all the components...i definitely would assume its the ant-theft system it gave me problems at the start but now its behaving so im not goin nuts like i used to
421whp 400(399) ft*lbs of torque on tap @ 15 psi

"Always outnumbered, never outgunned."
SupraMan1784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:51 PM   #3
toyota_guru
Intake

toyota_guru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPRO
I could not find this problem reported in another thread. It has been plaguing me for years now. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Problem:
  • Car randomly will not start
Vehicle info
  • 1990 Supra with 7MGE JDM engine replacement 3 yr ago
  • T-top
  • Viper alarm
Symptoms
  • Not related to humidity, temp, engine temp, etc.
  • Flicking key repeatedly sometimes gets it to proceed
  • Leaving car unlocked seems to make a difference
  • Not using Viper (use old style key in door to lock/unlock) seems to improve things
What’s been tried
  • Replaced starter motor 2 times over last couple of years. Another one (Bosch this time) is going in this weekend (not expecting it to make a difference)
  • Replaced battery
  • Battery power and ground cables replaced
  • Ignition switch and tumbler replaced
  • Replaced relay supplying V to starter solenoid
My intuition is that the Toyota theft deterrent system is disallowing it to start, although I am not sure how to test/fix this. I got frustrated trying to follow the aftermarket Viper wiring installation and gave up.

Anyone else see such weirdness? Any ideas?
check out behind the fuse panel under the dash, supras have a tendancy to leak at the door causing the back of the panel to corode and mess up the factory theft system. I've replaced 3 fuse blocks for symptoms you have described here.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:35 AM   #4
crusader1545
Stock

crusader1545 is on a distinguished road

also the viper alarm could do it it did the same thing to my dodge
Old 11-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
scruffboy
walbro fp

scruffboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Won't Start

It probably is the factory anti-theft system. This happened to me and I posted before about it. To re-set the alarm, turn the key twice to the left (with the door open). That worked for me for a while, then one time it didn't work. I remembered someone posted that the drivers side lock is always used and sometimes wears out the system, so to try the passenger side door. I did this and it worked. (See how it pays to read these boards) Does anyone out there know how to disarm this damn thing? It's way more trouble than its worth, and I would just as soon do away with the anti-theft system altogether.

Thanks,

James
scruffboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #6
SupraMan1784
SP58GT

SupraMan1784 is on a distinguished road

im thinking about pulling the whole thing out and replacing it with a newer system...but i probably wont do it unless it starts acting up on me again... so far its been good no problems for a long while...hopefully it stays like this
421whp 400(399) ft*lbs of torque on tap @ 15 psi

"Always outnumbered, never outgunned."
SupraMan1784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
GCPRO
Stock

GCPRO is on a distinguished road
Default Non-start update

So, this past weekend I replaced the starter motor with a different brand - Bosch. So far the beast is working great. The symptoms support a "limp" starter in that repeated key clicking would eventually get it to turn over. Also, it seemed to be more likely not to start when the engine was hot and then sat for a few minutes (increasing cylinder gas pressure).

I had ignored this possibility because I had replaced the starter before a couple times with no apparent long term fix (as I recall now, it did work OK for a month after replacement). But, being a cheap SOB, I replaced the starter with the same cheapest model from the same supplier. The Bosch certainly has more torque.

Consider this one closed unless (until) I return with the bad news. Thanks for the input.
GCPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:51 AM   #8
sportriderseattle
3" Exhaust

sportriderseattle is on a distinguished road
Default Non Start

my '86 does this whenever it feels like it. It's clearly the stock theft deterant system. I have found that locking the doors from the inside then closing the door with the outside door handle in the "up" or open position will set the alarm. Then wait for the security blinky light to activate correctly, then unlock the door from the outside, will reset the system. You may have to try both doors to trace which door is causing the prob. So far, I have found no fix, only how to get it started again.
sportriderseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
Gigler
Stock

Gigler is on a distinguished road
Wink Key

May be the contacts at the back of the ignition, after you sayin flickin the key off and on, bells rung in my head sayin contacts in the key asembly, worth a look, let me know how you get on.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:24 AM   #10
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

I have some trouble with my alarm too....it just randomly goes off for about 2 mins. car off....car on...doors locked/unlocked. the other day...i accelerated kinda hard...and that caught the attention of a cop. then as he was behind me the alarm decided to go off and he immediatley pulled me over. anyone know how to disable the factory alarm? or just remove it altogether?
Isphius is offline   Reply With Quote