Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 06:13 AM   #1
sd88supra
3" Exhaust

sd88supra is on a distinguished road
Default Firestone crashed my Supra!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums, but have been a fan of the Toyota Supra for almost a year now. Let me just get to the point:

A little over two weeks ago, I took my 1988 Toyota Supra (non-turbo) to Firestone to get an engine diagnostic to make sure it was doing good and I had just bought it (five days prior). It was in great condition, no rust, no scratches, clean interior, very well taken care of, with only 108k miles. I was lucky enough to find it for only $2200 (crazy, huh?). I actually wasnt present when it happened, I got my girlfriend to take it because I had to work. So on the test drive, the idiot technician crashed with a '99 Camry. The police report claimed the driver of the Camry as at fault, but because it happened under the use of Firestone, they are responsible. So after taking it to a Toyota shop, they estimated about $6000 to repair it. Of course, because it is a Toyota shop it will cost more, but Firestone wants to give me $2200 and let me keep the car, since their "research" only shows the car is worth that much. The car is not totaled, as they tried to convince me otherwise. However, I live in very expensive Southern California (San Diego to be precise), and $2200 wont cover the cost to repair it. Plus, I have a rental right now (Firestone is paying for it but Im paying for the insurance) and I cant afford $12 a day. So, I have decided to take them to court.

To win the case, I will need some tangible evidence to show that they did not wreck a Honda or any mediocre car. So <b>I'm asking you guys and gals for some good information sources on Toyota Supras, beside these forums.</b> I will post some pictures. Help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wreckedsupra.JPG
Views:	3771
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	47   Click image for larger version

Name:	wreckedsupraside.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	48   Click image for larger version

Name:	wreckedsupradetail.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	49  
Old 10-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
ddmcse
500whp yet?

ddmcse is on a distinguished road
Cool

WTF

some complete jackass must have been driving that car and punching the hell out of it . thats not a minor crash thats a shit load of damage .

YOU JUST CAN'T TRUST ANYONE WITH YOUR SUPRA .

i have no advice on this subject . i think you got the screwing of the year
My Supra KiXGaS

Last edited by ddmcse; 10-19-2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
Kristamarie
Stock

Kristamarie is on a distinguished road

Go to the library and get some case law on similar cases. They will have to give it back to you in the same condition as you left it, or replace it. I just left San Diego two years ago with my 86 Supra. What Firestone? Let me guess, the one on Morena? You can always go KBB.com for the actual value of the car for resale. Good luck. There is nothing like a Supra and I can bet you are missing your baby alot.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
Kristamarie
Stock

Oh yeah, I forgot. Keep copies of all newpaper ads with similar year models for sale, as proof they are not cheap and they do keep a higher resale value.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
SupraMan1784
SP58GT

SupraMan1784 is on a distinguished road

thats some good advice..wow...i cant believe they crashed it...never heard of that happen before..this is a first...i have no advice...i dont abide by the law that much...so i wouldnt know how to comply with it hahaha...but kristamarie's advice would seem to be most practical....just show the judge teh fast and furious movie hahahaha....not only will he get a kick out of it.. he might understand that...supras are amazing cars
421whp 400(399) ft*lbs of torque on tap @ 15 psi

"Always outnumbered, never outgunned."
Old 10-19-2005, 07:32 PM   #6
sd88supra
3" Exhaust

It was the Firestone on Convoy St. in Kearny Mesa. It was an idiot driving it, and evidience points out he was speeding. The lady of the Camry was pulling out of a parking lot.

Has anyone here sued a corporation? I can't take it to small claims, $5000 is still a loss.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
Kristamarie
Stock

My aunt has a transmission done there (Firestone) and eventually had to have it replaced. You will always be better off learning how to do the work yourself. I did. Contact your insurance company and let them handle it. They have excellent attorneys that will defend you. Did you have full coverage? You can also have some else contact them, explaining that they are representing you. Don't have to be an attorney to say that, but it gives them the assumption that you are.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
lethalwithasupra
3" Exhaust

lethalwithasupra is on a distinguished road

no one pulling out of a parking lot is traveling fast enough to do that kind of damage to a car built like the supra. firestone was thrashing hell out of your supra ... probably would have missed the camry entirely if he hadn't been such a fool. its hard to see a car coming down the road at speed limit+++

if you're fully insured ,your insurance company should cover you. check your contract with them ... might find they'll pay for replacment or repairs, whichever's cheaper.

talk to a lawyer.

ps - their " research " sounds more like your mentioning to them how much you paid for the car. they are trying to screw you and screw your supra big time.

Delivering it home with a friend driving the Supra for the first time. I drop gears and make a scream from the twin pipes flowing down this pony's flanks and it takes off like it's tail's on fire.

I look back when the Honda gets to its tap-out and the Supra's only two lengths behind. No one I've let ride my bike has told me its slow, they've all loved the thing. That car is a good thing indeed.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:08 AM   #9
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

yep good advice above

get sales ads advertising mk3 supras in the condition yours is in and show em.. i bet they'll be around 4-6k

i would like to know what speed he was doing or the location of your front iron currently as it doesn't appear to be in the front bumper

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:04 PM   #10
sd88supra
3" Exhaust

Exclamation Update

After reviewing the police report and speaking to the witnesses of the accident, turns out the idiot driving my car was indeed thrashing the hell out of it. First thing he hold the cop was he was driving at the speed limit (35mph). A little suspicious, huh? And I have told Firestone in writing to kindly send payment of 6k before I take them to court. Theres no way they can win, every piece of evidence points at an idiot driving my car. People have told me to go with another car, but I just cant let this one go to waste.

Anyway, I feel that using the 6k to get it fixed at Toyota seems like a waste. Id have new original parts but now I need your advice on getting my baby restored.

First of all, its a non-turbo model, and I dont race. I just like cars with juice for when I need it (like idiots on the freeway, if you know what I mean), and I dont really wanna put up with the maintenance for the turbo. My stock supra was fast as hell anyway. I was just thinking of installing an intake/exhaust system but I hate that sound and like I said, I dont race, I just speed sometimes.

As far as body parts go, I need the fenders, hood, headlights, and possibly the whole bumper kit. I have found aftermarket parts but they are made of fiber glass/carbon, and Id like mine of steel like I originally had it. Also, getting all the original parts from Toyota will run me at around 3k. People have told me getting aftermarket parts could run me less expensive and I would be getting improved parts. So Im looking around. I have checked the junkyards in my area and as I suspected, no supras. Help for info on these parts is appreciated.
Closed Thread