Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 08-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
Sn4zzle
Stock

Sn4zzle is on a distinguished road
Default First Time Help

So I am turning 16 in a few months and plan to get a job when I turn 16. My grandmother said she will give me a few thousand towards my first car so if I can pick up a job and get another few thousand that way I would have roughly $6-$7k. Now with that much I should be able to get a car and I am looking at a mazda rx7 FC, Supra mkII, ae86 (if I can find one) or a 240sx. Now we do have local drift competitions that you need to be 18 to compete in so I may do that in 2 years but for now what would be the best car out of these to get? I will have a job before I get a car so I am going to play on changing the suspension in my car no matter what. Basically I am thinking change out; struts, coilovers, coilover bar, sway bars, break pads, lightened flywheel, better clutch. I may change out the intake/exhaust system but for now that would be the stuff I plan to change out. What would you guys think would be the best platform to pick up?
Sn4zzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Mk3FirstCar-Mike
3" Exhaust

Mk3FirstCar-Mike is on a distinguished road

First off, I'm going to say that most teenagers are going to at least be in a minor car wreck. It's recommended that you get a cheaper, slower car to start with so you gain experience. On that note, if you still decide to get an older sports car(As I did, however I still have an older, cheaper car to start with for the first year)
Take this into consideration: RX-7s are rarely maintained well and the rotary engines are nice, but not if you want loads of power. That being said, if you do get one, make sure it's been well-maintained.
The AE86 is preposterously rare, probably more expensive than the others. It's also fairly... well.. slow at stock settings. Meaning you won't be getting the most horsepower for your money. They are, however, fairly fun to drive, as I've been told on many occasions.
240sx's are also fairly slow at stock settings and don't really have a whole lot of potential for power without an engine swap or a turbo. They do, however come fairly cheap in the first place and have plenty of available upgrades.
MKII's and MKIII's come with a decent amount of power and the possibilities for their engines are fairly high, but as they're meant to be grand-touring cars, they're heavy (MKIII's are 3400lbs).The weight of them makes them a little harder to begin drifting, but at the same time, much more predictable while doing so.

As for your upgrades: Coilovers are a good place to start, but if you're going to get them, don't cheap out. By that I mean, you'd might as well save for them and get a $1500+ set that IS REBUILDABLE. Some people say that it's best to get an average, cheap set simply to experience the difference, but even those are over $500 and I can't in all good sense, tell somebody to waste money on them. Tein is another thing to stay away from. I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard andbody who knows suspension tell me that they like Tein. HKS and Apexi` would be good brands. Coilovers come in a set and completely replace the shock/strut, spring and the "bar." Keep in mind not to get a set that is overly stiff, though, or you will lose all comfort you had while street driving.
Sway-bars are nice to get, you can probably get a set for around $300.
Brake-Pads.... You know wut-do. Etc..etc..
Aluminum Fly-Wheels will reduce the time that it takes the car to rev, providing better, and more responsive power through the entire range. However, they do require that you dismantle part of your transmission to install. An aluminum drive-shaft would have roughly the same effect for about the same cost, with more ease-of-installation, but you pick whatcha-want.
As for the clutch, they are rated for certain amounts of torque and you really wouldn't need to get a stronger one until you get more power and begin thrashing your car through corners.

If you've got any questions, or I said something stupid(I probably did) feel free to ask or yell at me.

"It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." – Mario Andretti

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you." – Jeremy Clarkson

"When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round." – Hans Stuck
Mk3FirstCar-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Sn4zzle
Stock

Alright thanks, my friend says that no matter what I should get a twin turbo.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Mk3FirstCar-Mike
3" Exhaust

Twin-Turbo + 16 + First Car... I have a problem with this.
It's by no means a bad option, but that's going to deliver power from 3-500 horsepower, depending on how it's tuned. That's a lot of power for anybody to have in a street car.. and assuming you're like me.. You're going to drive like a f*cking maniac at random times. If you do end up getting a TT, make sure you know what you're doing while you're driving and don't speed in areas where you don't know the road well or in populated areas (not saying that I'm condoning speeding in any condition). You're also going to have to get bigger brake discs after you get so much horsepower, as the stock ones won't suffice. Drilled and slotted ones will also provide better cooling, which is, of course, good for braking.

Setting the car up for twin turbos would also be fairly expensive... and then there's finding a manifold for the build...
Things that would be required for a twin turbo set-up:
New Fuel System(Injectors, Fuel Pump, etc.)
Remapped A/F Ratio
Turbo Timer
Boost Controller
Twin Turbo Exhaust Manifold
Wider Exhaust
Wider Down Pipe
Wastegate
Intercooler
(I'm sure I'm forgetting some)

I would, however, recommend that if you get a Supra, to get a turbo model. They don't have a preposterous amount of power, but still a fairly good amount(About 230HP) and are easy to upgrade once you get some solid driving experience in.
In the mean-time, I suggest reading up, using various sources, about the cars that you're considering purchasing and the upgrades for them to ensure that they're readily available and not overly expensive.

Side note:
For God's-sake... please don't lower your car any more than 2" when you do get coilovers for it. It will, more-than-likely, completely ruin the way it handles. That is all. Have a nice day.

"It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." – Mario Andretti

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you." – Jeremy Clarkson

"When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round." – Hans Stuck

Last edited by Mk3FirstCar-Mike; 08-20-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Additional Information On The Subject
Old 08-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Sn4zzle
Stock

I think I will just stick to upgrading whatever car I get suspension. Talked to my grandmas mechanic and he said basically upgrade bushings and any engine parts first, then upgrade the suspension like how I though in terms of struts, strut bars, and sway bars. He said coilovers should not be a big deal but if they are then he will help me out. Basically my mechanic is going to look over the car to see what needs replacing, what would be good to upgrade first, etc.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
Mk3FirstCar-Mike
3" Exhaust

Not trying to shatter your dreams here. I'm just trying to speak realistically.
And if you're going to start in any *race-type* event. You will eventually have to overhaul the engine as the mechanic stated. A ridged suspension with adequate power to the wheels is also important for drift and race events.

Don't cheap out on performance car parts. It will haunt you.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Sn4zzle
Stock

As you stated, it will need an overhauled suspension which is the first thing I will do. In 2 years or when the engine blows, whichever comes first, I will replace the engine.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #8
d12cons34
Stock

d12cons34 is on a distinguished road

240sx's are also fairly slow at stock settings and don't really have a whole lot of potential for power without an engine swap or a turbo. They do, however come fairly cheap in the first place and have plenty of available upgrades.