Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 08-22-2005, 11:50 PM   #1
pdogg

Hey folks

. OK, well I've hit a snag with my 'ol beast - she won't run essentially, but there's more to it than that. I'll start with the current symptom, and then lay out some details that were a precursor to this event.
Right now, it will turn over and try to run but it lopes up & down about three times before knocking off with the engine bouncing between 2600 and 1000 RPMs ; and while doing this , the check engine light while come on and off in tandem with the loping of the engine (weird ?) . Ok, now to get to little things that came before it broke down. The first thing that was a sign was I was getting two engine error codes, and couldn't pass my emissions (essentially the car was running very rich) - the engine codes are #31 (air flow meter signal) and #24 (intake air Temp signal) - Ok, now logic would suggest that the AFM module is obviously bad and explains it running rich and then loping and knocking off - I have just replaced the Air Fuel meter and double checked the ECU to make sure everything is good to go.
So, where I'm at now is that logic tells me it should crank right up - yet, my supra is still doing the current symptom of loping 3 times and knocking off or just knocking off after turning over once. Now, let me add something to this equation -- I recently removed the carbon can for the evaporative emmisions for the fuel tank (I read somewhere that it isn't an issue, but just don't plug the line after removing the can) - ok, so I don't think this could cause a problem, although it is possible the line was temporary clogged so some pressure may have built up in the fuel tank --- Now be aware, my Supra is a jdm engine swap so it came with no exhaust recirculation system, nor was it equipped to take the line that normally comes from the black carbon canister.
Can somebody shed some light on what you think this could be??
I'm hoping someone on here has knowledge to see my explanation above and know exactly what it is because I'm perplexed.

These symptoms seem like they lead to a single issue , but it seems there must have been a second malfunction besides the Air Fuel meter happening simultaneously, ughhh. Come on , help a brother out ;o)

Take it easy, and thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:59 AM   #2
monkihead
SP58GT

monkihead is on a distinguished road

i've never had this problem on a toyota but a honda. the 2 main culprits were the map sensor and the idle air control valve. the map was bad due to the car not meant for boost, therefore popping the sensor. the idle air just went bad. if your running a non-turbo i'd check for vaccum leaks between the afm and the throttle body as well.

monique- better off dead

monkihead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

k...

if it came with a jdm throttle body the "one" line on the throttlebody (where normally you have two) is the one that goes to the cannister

2. fix ya boost leak

it's a weally weally weally big one

intercooler pipes... somewhere

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:14 PM   #4
1988gte
3" Exhaust

1988gte is on a distinguished road

try unplugging your oxygen senor and see if it runs or runs better. Worked for me.
1988gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

^ good suggestion.... but for this problem won't work

he is running excessively rich from a boost leak.. and by unplugging the 02 would then make it run richer still

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:10 PM   #6
pdogg

Thanks, I'll try that. I was thinking I might need a new O2 sensor -- but , like supragirl said, It would likely make it run more rich -- but since I now have my AFM replaced, things could be different now. I don't recall that a bad 02 could keep it from starting, but I could be wrong - maybe if it had a short in it, that would cause some serious problems, but I'm not too knowledgeable on emissions stuff.
I appreciate the input and answers, I'll update my troubleshooting as I go along. Maybe
you can help me out Supragirl, as you seem to know what you are talking about. And who said car stuff was only for guys, LOL. I respect a knowledgeable girl in the realm of vehicles and engines -- and you drive a supra to boot, you rock. I still hunting for that damn boost leak, but it's so tight in there around the turbo -- It must be the main intercooler hose on the bottom of the turbo. If I was smart (and not broke) then I'd be slapping a
hard pipe kit on there and be done with the worrying -- but I might have to improvise. Any ideas?

take it easy.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
suprafreak90
Stock

suprafreak90 is on a distinguished road
Cool

if its a money problem you can have any half decent exhaust shop build you a hard pipe set for about $200
and i think your 02 problelly fine it sounds to me like the iac valve ...check the plug in and the hose that runs to the cross pipe and then to the intake for any cracks...ive seen leaks in the iac hose system trip an afm code
suprafreak90 is offline   Reply With Quote