Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 06-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
kusupra3
Stock

kusupra3 is on a distinguished road
Default Water pump

Hey everybody, need some input..
Does it matter what kind of brand of water pump I get. Don't know which one to get. There's Aisin, NPW, GMB, and Beck Arnley.

And is the job difficult??
kusupra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Bill UK is on a distinguished road

Good question, AISIN manufacture for Toyota Motors, General Motors, Honda Motor Company and Nissan. The stock water pump has the name AISIN on the outside of the casting. So its very likely if you buy an AISIN pump it will be the same as the stock Toyota. Generally the stock pump is fairly reliable considering the amount of miles on the Supras now days, but its not uncommon for the impellors to disintegrate, which often happens on engines that have had a long history of a BHG. The coolant turns very acidic when mixed with combustion gases and over a period of time it will etch away the pump impellors. The Toyota pump cost about $200 in the UK where as the Quinton Hazell (the one in the pic) cost $72. As you can see the Toyota has a press steel impellors and the QH is made of much thicker cast steel. Not sure of the performance or reliability of the QH .I know many UK owners have used them without any problems. The replacement is quite straightforward; Drain the coolant, loosen off the alternator belt, remove the four fixing nuts holding the fan on and remove the fan. The pump is bolted on with an assortment of nuts/studs and bolts, just remember where they go when you refit the new pump and remember not to over tighten the bolts/studs they screw into soft ally. Sorry cant help with the other pump manufactures.

Bill UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
kusupra3
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill UK View Post
Good question, AISIN manufacture for Toyota Motors, General Motors, Honda Motor Company and Nissan. The stock water pump has the name AISIN on the outside of the casting. So its very likely if you buy an AISIN pump it will be the same as the stock Toyota. Generally the stock pump is fairly reliable considering the amount of miles on the Supras now days, but its not uncommon for the impellors to disintegrate, which often happens on engines that have had a long history of a BHG. The coolant turns very acidic when mixed with combustion gases and over a period of time it will etch away the pump impellors. The Toyota pump cost about $200 in the UK where as the Quinton Hazell (the one in the pic) cost $72. As you can see the Toyota has a press steel impellors and the QH is made of much thicker cast steel. Not sure of the performance or reliability of the QH .I know many UK owners have used them without any problems. The replacement is quite straightforward; Drain the coolant, loosen off the alternator belt, remove the four fixing nuts holding the fan on and remove the fan. The pump is bolted on with an assortment of nuts/studs and bolts, just remember where they go when you refit the new pump and remember not to over tighten the bolts/studs they screw into soft ally. Sorry cant help with the other pump manufactures.

Wow Bill UK that was great. Thx for the reply, very informative. Yup Toyota here in Canada charge about $180 CAD.

I just have one more question for anybody who can help. I sort of know the answer to this but I wanna be sure. Does the the water pump come in 2 different type, one being for a turbo and one for a NA, or will it accommodate for both.

Thx in advance.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
Bill UK
AEM EMS

Both are the same and no difference between the years, they normally come with the gasket and four new fixing studs for the fan. Toyota part #16100-49755
Old 06-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
kusupra3
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill UK View Post
Both are the same and no difference between the years, they normally come with the gasket and four new fixing studs for the fan. Toyota part #16100-49755
Thanks Bill UK
Old 06-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
kusupra3
Stock

well after installing the new water pump. I still have a leak. After further investigation I found it was coming from the area around my exhaust manifold. Just revving the engine and it was coming out like water fall. I think now that my water pump wasn't the problem. But is there even any coolant that is suppose to be in that area???????
Old 06-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
Bill UK
AEM EMS

There are two metal pipes running along the block under the exhaust manifold, they both connect to the water outlet housing (that's the part the thermostat housing bolts onto) one connects by way of a rubber hose elbow (marked in red) and the other one connects using a flange with two bolts. It’s more than likely it will be the rubber elbow, not very easy to get at. The blue part in the pic is a small heat shield; you may be able to bend this back to gain access to the hose clip. The easiest way I found is to work from the front of the car using a pair of round nose pliers, you can just about get them in there to release the hose clip if its facing the correct way. The part # for the hose is 16283-42010. The other possibility is the gasket that connects the flange to the housing, also marked in red.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
ddmcse
500whp yet?

ddmcse is on a distinguished road
Cool

it's not just plain rubber tubing , it's a formed 90 degree bend , prolly need to get it from toyota .

here's a point to remember .. once you start blowing hoses , you could say they are just old and needed to be replaced , but the toyota supra has a history of blowing head gaskets
a long history
My Supra KiXGaS
ddmcse is offline   Reply With Quote