Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 06-23-2005, 04:17 AM   #1
My86.5MintSupra
Stock

My86.5MintSupra is on a distinguished road

Hello all, I just joined this Forum. I am a proud owner of a 1986.5 Supra N/A. I have owned it since 1993 and mostly it sits garaged...It had about 60,000 on it when I bought it in 93, and I just flipped 100,000 about a month ago, It now has 100,013 miles. I didn't even want the car when I bought it, but a very good friend of mine got in some financial trouble, she owed 6,200 on it so I bought it for what she owed. Like I said, I wasn't even really interested in it back then, but now I doubt it is ever going anywhere... Id sleep with it if I Could.

Everything works, The Power seats, mirrors,The AC is lacking a bit but still cools, The climate control, the suspension control. The interior is like new, no rips, tears or stains, no fades. The car is absolute original including the exhaust which shows no signs of age.

She is going to get new stem seals this season because I guess do to sitting so much they have deteriorated to the point that it smokes a bit on start up after sitting for a week or so. Also I am pretty sure it has developed the head gasket problem that is typical on the MK3. It uses water, after a little driving around when you shut it down for an hour or so and then restart it you can hear the water flow into the heater core which indicates the water level is low.

What is the typical power loss when the gasket goes bad, anyone know? It certainly has experienced a noticable loss, it used to get sideways in second, now Im lucky to get a chirp.

First time I got it out this year the first of spring, I drove it to work and walked out after work to find the front passenger side fender bashed in, someone backed into it. Its kind of funny because I guess I show signs of being obsessed with it so much, that they were scared to death to tell me. I found a used fender for 75 bucks, and a body shop that is going to paint it to match the factory paint for another hundred. Through general conversation in the break room I was talking about it, and the next day a hundred and 75 bucks turned up in an envelope in my desk drawer. Which again is funny, because it shows its not that they avoided telling me because they didn't want to pay, they just wanted to live!!! :lol:

But anyway, thats my baby... Glad I found this forum. And if anybody has any tips, tricks or suggestions on the head gasket please type away.

Does it seem like I am pretty proud of the car I didn't even really want???
My86.5MintSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

LMAO!

yeps i know that feeling, ppl are always scared to death of hurting my car :lol:

i think once you own a mk3 you never own anything else

as my personalised plate says
SUPRRA
anything else is just transportationg

with the head gasket, make sure she doesn't overheat too much etc, you don't wanna warp that head

new gasket + arp head studs (gasket can be either hks bead type metal head gasket or a toyota genuine one)
if you get arps torque it to 82ft lbs
if you get standard toyota bolts torque to 72ft lbs

make sure the block face is cleaned and checked for any bowing or warping also and make sure there isn't any pitting in the block face
take the head to a reconditioner and get it rebuilt, valve seals etc and make sure it hasn't gone soft or warped and get it cleaned up and milled/skimmed if necessary

replace any old broken hoses you find, new water pump, radiator flushed (by radiator company), thermostat, radiator cap, new seals for cams and valve covers

basically as long as the engine is cleaned/prepped properly and torque the bolts down to the new specs (72 or 82ft lbs) you should be good to go
do a compression check on her (warm) at some stage and make sure you have good compression, if it's a bit low you may want to save up a few more pennies and just wack new rings and bearings while you're at it

oh yea... if you do use a metal head gasket the block face requires a mirror finish in order for metal gaskets to seal

good luck and nice to have ya round

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:07 AM   #3
My86.5MintSupra
Stock

Quote:
Originally posted by suprra_girl@Jun 23 2005, 07:39 AM
LMAO!

yeps i know that feeling, ppl are always scared to death of hurting my car :lol:

i think once you own a mk3 you never own anything else

as my personalised plate says
SUPRRA
anything else is just transportationg

Yeah, at the time I bought the Supra, I was actually driving an 88 RX-7. As you can see, the Supra stayed, the 7 left.

Its still an awsome car nearly 20 years later. People still break their necks looking. I guess as more and more years pass, you see less and less of the MK3's, and certainly less of them that are in any kind of condition.

When I get it out and toodle around town in it, especially to the car wash....I am garunteed atleast one guy who will ask "You want to sell it?" And I normally respond "you'd have better luck getting me to sell you my Girlfreind".

Thanks for the tips on the gasket.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
KingDiamond
12psi boost

KingDiamond is on a distinguished road

Yeah people stopping to ask if your selling the car is definately something i've had many a times, and the funny thing is sometimes the people say i don't care which one, i'll take any of them i just want a supra. Then of course i tell them not for sale.
KingDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:55 AM   #5
My86.5MintSupra
Stock

Quote:
Originally posted by KingDiamond@Jun 24 2005, 05:46 PM
Yeah people stopping to ask if your selling the car is definately something i've had many a times, and the funny thing is sometimes the people say i don't care which one, i'll take any of them i just want a supra. Then of course i tell them not for sale.
Yeah, in a way its flattering that everyone wants to buy my car. But after about the first 150 people that asked, it starts getting annoying. Especially when you say "hey thanks man but its not for sale" and they start tossing prices anyway.

No lie, Me and my cousin hook the trailer up every once in a while and make a run down to georgia and just driving around looking in feilds to see what we can find. I found a 1958 pick up somebody had put on a late 70's blazer frame. It was 4 wheel drive. Needed a motor, wiring ETC. I talked the guy into selling it to me for 2500 dollars and hauled it back up here. It was sitting in the driveway which is off the road quite a bit but very visible. After people saw it sit there about a month, I had atleast 15 people knock on the door in 3 weeks.

I took white shoe polish and wrote in big letters "NOT FOR SALE" on the front window of the truck. 2 days later, guy knocks on the door anyway. I got extremely crappy with the guy....about a week later same guy rolls up into the driveway with another guy, they get out and are looking at it. I opened the door and politely told them once again, wasting your time man. The guy he had brought back asked what I had in it, I told him with what it cost to drive down and haul it back, plus what I paid for it around 3000 dollars. He said "I'll give you 6....I said "SOLD".

I wasn't as attached to that truck as I am my Supra though...I don't think if somebody got stupid and said 9 or 10 thousand I could turn it down. But I have laughed at 5 a couple of times.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
KingDiamond
12psi boost

KingDiamond is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't sell any of my supras no matter what they offered. Simply there not for sale.
KingDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote