Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > General Discussions > Non-Generation Specific Questions

Old 06-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
mrvetten
Stock

mrvetten is on a distinguished road

I just bought an 88 Supra Turbo. The alleged "new clutch" was slipping. So i bought a new "good for 450hp" clutch and it still slips! Any ideas? everything looked good when we put the new clutch in. Oh yeah it needed a new slave cylinder too, old one was siezed. thought that was the problem but nope.. anyway, "they" said it needed a 500 mile breakin period I'm only at around 250-300 or so. is it possible it will just stop slipping all of a sudden? it seems to only slip top of 3rd, 4th and 5th, you know power gears getting ready for boost. any help would be grateful... also the clutch pedal starts to engage almost all the way to the top
mrvetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
KingDiamond
12psi boost

KingDiamond is on a distinguished road

something doesn't sound right to me, when you put in the slave cylinder , did you bleed the air out of it?
KingDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
mrvetten
Stock

yes, found the problem!! the linkage from the pedal to the master needed to be adjusted. the threaded rod from the master to the pedal wasn't letting the pedal go all the way up, hence the throwout bearing was riding all the time. still getting hot though. whats the easiest check for blown head gasket? t-stat? has a new sender. thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 12:31 AM   #4
KingDiamond
12psi boost

why do you think you have a blown head gasket, is it over heating, if so when, is it all the time, stop and go, after long rides.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
mrvetten
Stock

it seems fine driving around town, but when i get on the highway for a while, the temp needle sky rockets. it doesn't over heat that i have to pull over, but i'm scared that its gonna. If i coast for a while, it gets even hotter, then i put it back in gear and go and the temp drops a little. i'm tempted to put a regular temp guage in there temporarily to see what it actually is, maybe the new sender we put in is bad, although it does seem hot when i stop, and i can hear it gurgling.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #6
KingDiamond
12psi boost

Make sure your fan clutch is operating properly, when the car is hot the fan clutch should not spin without resistance by hand, if you can just push on the fan blade real quick and get a good spin out of her, then you need to replace it. Also check at the bottom of your radiator especially cause its not something you see real easily for corrosion, radiator could be all corroded down there, and the fins could be falling apart, check the upper part of the radiator to for any corrosion. I have had that where the radiator doesn't leak but when a lot of the fins are missing and corroded it can cause it to run hot. Check for signs of blown head gasket, i'm sure you probably know what to look for but if not, check for oil coolant mixture, loss of coolant, white smoke coming out of the tail pipe after she has warmed up. Also you might want to go ahead and just replace the thermostat to eliminate that as a possibility, there so cheap, and easy to install, its worth the 5 bux or so, to do this ahead of time before it becomes a problem.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:10 AM   #7
ddmcse
500whp yet?

ddmcse is on a distinguished road

put in another gauge
for ten yrs my stock gauge has been whacked ..i've replaced every sensor related to the temp over time and nothing has fixed the gauge . pulling the instrument cluster off sounds like great fun but it's not going to happen today ..
you'll find a nice spot to add a gauge ..just past the turbo on the block .i forget exactly what is there ,,you'll see it and realize that if you remove this coolant outlet you can put the sender unit from the new gauge ( make sure the sender is not too long as it will screw right into the block and touch the internal walls .you shoudl be able to get at it from under the car without removing the turbo you can feed the gauge line/wire through the firewall where the wiring harness goes through
My Supra KiXGaS
ddmcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 06:37 PM   #8
mrvetten
Stock

thanks. I actually already have an electric fan, and a brand new radiator, go figure. I checked the coolant and it doesn't appear to be contaminated. The funny thing is the car HAD a regular analog guage to check the "new" engine" (60k miles) temp and it seemed fine when i drove it for a little while, so i took it out as it was temporarily installed (looked like crap!!). I'm actually starting to think the stock guage is just wacky. I think my next step is to install the analog guage back in and watch it for a few weeks. Thanks for the input, keep you informed, BTW are there a few ways to check for a BHG? I was told this motor already had the steel gasket done but.. you know... when you buy a used car.....kinda wonder...
Old 07-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #9
ddmcse
500whp yet?

ddmcse is on a distinguished road

the common thought is to replace the head gasket with a metal head gasket , torque the head down better than factory specs and you are all set . however let me tell you thats bullshit
the two surfaces need to be flat flat and smooth as glass . a guy will pull out the head and have it finished, bolt it back on and call it a day , but what about the block . the block most likely gets zero attention
My Supra KiXGaS
ddmcse is offline   Reply With Quote