Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 09-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
kevo
Stock

kevo is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie.....From across the water.....

Hi Guys.....I`m a newbie on your forum....Firstly...Thank you for allowing me to join you guys.
I`m from Cleveland /England....Also knows as blighty britain....And,A fellow supra owner. I have just purchased a 1994 Silver Jap speck twin turbo 6 speed,She has only 38,800 kms (24,250 miles)on the clock...1 Jap owner,Non smoker totally immaculate example....With the service history,JAAI Inspection certificate,BIMTA milage check ect,ect....
And,I love it......However,I have a little annoying problem....

Sometimes when i start the engine i get a sort of tappety sound till the oil light extinguishes if the cars been left over 3 or 4 days.....But,After the initial start,All the rest of the time its that quiet you cannot hear the engine running at all.....
The internals of the engine look as if its never ever had any dirty oil in there at all,Neather has it seen any rain.....(There is`nt even a dirt stain on the underside).
When starting the engine,The oil light only takes a couple of seconds or so to go out.....But,I`m a little concerned with the noise,This is the first Supra i have owned,And wondered if any of you guys have experianced the same sound please.....??????.
Thanks Guys.....Kev.
kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
kevo
Stock

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo
Hi Guys.....I`m a newbie on your forum....Firstly...Thank you for allowing me to join you guys.
I`m from Cleveland /England....Also knows as blighty britain....And,A fellow supra owner. I have just purchased a 1994 Silver Jap speck twin turbo 6 speed,She has only 38,800 kms (24,250 miles)on the clock...1 Jap owner,Non smoker totally immaculate example....With the service history,JAAI Inspection certificate,BIMTA milage check ect,ect....
And,I love it......However,I have a little annoying problem....

Sometimes when i start the engine i get a sort of tappety sound till the oil light extinguishes if the cars been left over 3 or 4 days.....But,After the initial start,All the rest of the time its that quiet you cannot hear the engine running at all.....
The internals of the engine look as if its never ever had any dirty oil in there at all,Neather has it seen any rain.....(There is`nt even a dirt stain on the underside).
When starting the engine,The oil light only takes a couple of seconds or so to go out.....But,I`m a little concerned with the noise,This is the first Supra i have owned,And wondered if any of you guys have experianced the same sound please.....??????.
Thanks Guys.....Kev.
Well Guys...Perhaps,I`m not as wecome as i thought.....Not even a wecome to our forum......We welcome every new guy on the english forum ..Americans,Canadians,Everybody.....

OH well-Sorry i intruded......
Old 09-24-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well Guys...Perhaps,I`m not as wecome as i thought.....Not even a wecome to our forum......We welcome every new guy on the english forum ..Americans,Canadians,Everybody.....

OH well-Sorry i intruded......
Welcome!

Unfortunately, my schedule does not permit me to sign on more than once a day. This is the first I've seen of both of your messages!

Also keep in mind the Mkiv Supra section of this board has relatively light traffic. Please be patient when requesting a response.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-24-2007 at 11:32 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...Sometimes when i start the engine i get a sort of tappety sound till the oil light extinguishes if the cars been left over 3 or 4 days.....But,After the initial start,All the rest of the time its that quiet you cannot hear the engine running at all...
For what it's worth, and in my experience, the oil light never stays on in a US-spec MKIV Supra when you start it, unless your oil level is low. When I fill mine, I use six (US) quarts (=1.25 UK gallons, or 5.68L), which takes it right to the top of the full-line on the dipstick.

If your Supra's oil level was/is completely filled (with full synthetic, right?) and it still makes the noise, unfortunately I don't have an easy fix to get rid of that noise. Best case, it's something as simple as the clicking of your injectors in your (cold) fuel system. Worst case it could be your oil pump, the early stages of rod knock, or both. Trying to diagnose something like this is extremely tricky over the internet.

Also, I do have a contact in the UK that I can forward you to if you need to find a shop that is experienced with Mkiv Supras.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-24-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
kevo
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
In a US-spec Supra, the oil light never stays on when you start it, unless your oil level is low. When I fill mine, I use six (US) quarts (=1.25 UK gallons, or 5.68L), which takes it right to the top of the full-line on the dipstick.

If your Supra was/is completely filled and it still makes the noise, unfortunately I don't have an easy fix to get rid of that noise. Best case, it's something as simple as the clicking of your injectors in your (cold) fuel system. Worst case it could be your oil pump, the early stages of rod knock, or both. Trying to diagnose something like this is extremely tricky over the internet.

Also, I do have a contact in the UK that I can forward you to if you need to find a shop that is experienced with Mkiv Supras.
Thank you PWPANAS,...For your reply....Looks like i need a new oil pump me thinks......
Thanks again....Kev.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Thank you PWPANAS,...For your reply....Looks like i need a new oil pump me thinks...
You're welcome.

I hope it's not the oil pump, but if it is you'll likely have to pull the engine to change the oil pump. The oil pump is actually behind the oil pan in a couple of areas, so there's no way to swap the oil pump without removing the oil pan. There's almost no room to pull the oil pan off unless you pull the engine. It actually can be done without pulling the engine, but only with great difficulty. Most that have tried have come to the conclusion it would have been easier to pull the engine. Be sure to use the TSRMs when doing this work.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-24-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
kevo
Stock

Thanks PWPANAS......If you could let me know the contact above please.....
Cheers.....Kev.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
evosupra
Banned

evosupra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default noise when starting?

Hi there,
I have tonz of experience on these cars.
I am a supra owner myself !

Usually when you hear a tick on startup until the oil gets moving, the bearings are starting to go ! You may want to drop the oil pan and check the rod bearings.

If the rods have a little play, you will need to remove the lower bearing caps and check the bearings for wear and also check the Crankshaft journals for scratches. then install new one ! Should take you about 3 hours of your time and a torque wrench.

Let me know if you need any advise or specs ok?
evosupra is offline   Reply With Quote