Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 09-09-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
tspicer
Stock

tspicer is on a distinguished road
Default its supra time

im looking at buying a supra between the 94 and 98 model.
Will be fairely standard, 2j with twin turbos and 6 speed box.

What do you have to look for in the supras, aka rust, knocks bangs etc

Alreaddy had a look at a nice silver 94 model but it had rust around the rear window and the seats were worn alot.

thanks tim
tspicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspicer
im looking at buying a supra between the 94 and 98 model.
Will be fairely standard, 2j with twin turbos and 6 speed box.

What do you have to look for in the supras, aka rust, knocks bangs etc

Alreaddy had a look at a nice silver 94 model but it had rust around the rear window and the seats were worn alot...
If it has been well-maintained, and bone-stock, these cars are very reliable. Even that rust around the hatch can easily be cleaned out and repainted, as the metal there is quite thick.

As you know, seats are a regular wear item on any car. You can get the oem seats recovered, or replace them with racing seats (eg. Sparco Milano).

The big thing to look for is maintenance records, and whether or not it has been modified.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-09-2007 at 02:30 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
tspicer
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
If it has been well-maintained, and bone-stock, these cars are very reliable. Even that rust around the hatch can easily be cleaned out and repainted, as the metal there is quite thick.

As you know, seats are a regular wear item on any car. You can get the oem seats recovered, or replace them with racing seats (eg. Sparco Milano).

The big thing to look for is maintenance records, and whether or not it has been modified.
What if the records are in japanese?

What should i look out for in the way of mods?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
What if the records are in japanese?
Hire a translator?

Quote:
What should i look out for in the way of mods?
Ideal is bone-stock. If there are any mods, then you have to assess how well each mod was done: Fore example, were electrical modifications done by 'twisting the wires together', or were they done with 'gauge-specific die-crimp with shrink-wrap'? If you don't have confidence evaluating the quality of work, then you should hire an expert to help you assess...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
tspicer
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
Hire a translator?

Ideal is bone-stock. If there are any mods, then you have to assess how well each mod was done: Fore example, were electrical modifications done by 'twisting the wires together', or were they done with 'gauge-specific die-crimp with shrink-wrap'? If you don't have confidence evaluating the quality of work, then you should hire an expert to help you assess...

thanks for clearing that up, what about previous damage to the car where abouts should i be looking eg what main parts are supras known to be hit.

tim
Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
thanks for clearing that up, what about previous damage to the car where abouts should i be looking eg what main parts are supras known to be hit...
Pretty much any place and every place that you need to work on to install modifications. Here's a starting point for some of the more common mods:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/index.html