Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 09-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
more power...
Stock

more power... is on a distinguished road
Question my new supra

hey ppl, i just got a stock supra TT and im lookin to upgrade as much as possible, i dnt kno much about cars but even if it's not street legal, i would appreciate you tellin me what good upgrades are and how much they are worth rough, thx loads
more power... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by more power...
hey ppl, i just got a stock supra TT and im lookin to upgrade as much as possible, i dnt kno much about cars but even if it's not street legal, i would appreciate you tellin me what good upgrades are and how much they are worth rough, thx loads
A downpipe isn't street legal (esp. in Cali), but it's one of your first mods. You'll also need a BCC and a boost gauge. Those three mods will set you back about $500-$600 in parts and maybe $300 or so in labor. It'll put you at "bpu" level, which is the best bang-for-your-buck upgrade. After these mods, you can safely increase your boost to 16psi on 93 octane pump gas. "Bpu" can get you an additional 100hp, with just those few mods!

Please clarify - when you say "upgrade as much as possible", what exactly do you mean? In other words, what is your total budget (including labor), and your horsepower goal?

Where's Qatar?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-05-2007 at 02:20 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
more power...
Stock

Well my budget is between 60-75000$,goin for 800hp roughly, and qatar is in the middle east, but im british, moved here bout 3 years ago,

thx for the reply

Last edited by more power...; 09-08-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Well my budget is between 60-75000$ and qatar is in the middle east, but im british, moved here bout 3 years ago...
  1. Is your Supra a 6spd or an auto?
  2. Do you mean 800rwhp (=940hp) OR 800hp (=680rwhp)?
  3. What is your intended application for this vehicle? (eg. top speed, roadracing, drag racing, autocross, drifting, daily driver, etc.)
  4. How important is appearance and creature comforts such as stereo/custom dash/widebody/etc. ('bling' can suck up a significant portion of your budget)?
As I hope you would assume, I'm not asking these questions just to be nosy. To be budget-efficient, all modifications must be designed to compliment your Supra's intended usage. Also, please keep in mind if you answer "800rwhp, all of the above" to my questions, (unfortunately) your stated figure won't be nearly enough. Here's an example:
http://www.speedforsale.com/viewcar.php?vid=248
(don't look at the selling price; look at the stated investment - 2nd line in the title)
...and then please notice that this is 'only' a ~700rwhp vehicle. The reason it cost so much is because it was built for roadracing+dragracing+show, with an equally meticulous emphasis on all three.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-08-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
more power...
Stock

800 hp, 75000 is the most i have to spend on it at the moment but im gettin around 150000 in total to upgrade it, road racing, and for now appearance and sound systems are my second priority, im gna do a bit racing before adding all the extra weight that comes with appearance.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
800 hp, 75000 is the most i have to spend on it at the moment but im gettin around 150000 in total to upgrade it, road racing, and for now appearance and sound systems are my second priority, im gna do a bit racing before adding all the extra weight that comes with appearance.
  1. Is your Supra a 6spd or an auto?
  2. Do you mean 800rwhp (= 940hp 6spd , 1065hp auto) OR 800hp (= 680rwhp 6spd , 640rwhp auto)?

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-08-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
more power...
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
Is your Supra a 6spd or an auto?
6 spd manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
Do you mean 800rwhp (=940hp) OR 800hp (=680rwhp)?
800hp(=680rwhp)

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-08-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
6 spd manual
800hp(=680rwhp)
Last question (for now) I promise: What did you think of the 'bpu' modifications I posted here:
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...47&postcount=2
?

The reason I ask is because, although they won't get you to 800hp, they will get you enough rwhp for a fun (and VERY reliable) roadrace vehicle.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #9
more power...
Stock

it was quite helpful, im gna go to an area in qatar where there is a car shop like every few metres and look for these upgrades, should be easy enough to find and my friend who knows alot of thos ppl is gonna come with me. thanks
Old 09-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
it was quite helpful, im gna go to an area in qatar where there is a car shop like every few metres and look for these upgrades, should be easy enough to find and my friend who knows alot of thos ppl is gonna come with me. thanks
After you complete the BPU modifications, I'd strongly recommend that you get some roadrace track time with the vehicle pretty much as-is. A wider set of rims (11.5" wide on the rear, 10" wide on the front is an excellent combination), and some roadrace tires (eg Hoosiers or V710s) would be all you need. Please keep in mind that a fully upgraded Toyota Supra Turbo can be a very dangerous vehicle to drive. If you take the time to learn its behavior at every performance level, you have a MUCH better chance of keeping it off the walls when you do get to the max. I'd sincerely like to see you SAFE, and your Supra in one piece for the next many many years.

Of course, I'd be happy to provide you with specific additional modifications whenever you're ready to go to the next level. After the rims and tires, you'll want to put in an aftermarket fuel system and ecu. If it'll be a dedicated track car, then I'd strongly recommend a Motec ecu. If it'll be both street and track, then an AEM is probably a better choice. I offer a fuel system, as do a number of other online suppliers. After the fuel system and ecu, your Supra will be ready for a single turbo, which will get you that 680rwhp (on RACE FUEL, keep in mind) that you're looking for. You should also upgrade your coilovers and your sway bars at this time. A roll cage is a good idea too. You'll also need to do a number of cooling modifications on the car as well, similar to the ones on this site:
http://www.boostaholic.com/supra/cooling/index.html

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-08-2007 at 07:12 PM.