Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIV Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/)
-   -   Engine light and warning light on. (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/7144-engine-light-and-warning-light-on.html)

Chomper 12-27-2006 12:14 AM

Engine light and warning light on.

I don't know why my engine and warning light is on. Its been on for about a month now. The engine started to die on me about a week ago. It sometimes idle very low when not stepping on gas and even the engine dies once in a while. Can anyone tell me whats going on? I'm planning to fix my car before I sell it.

bpalmer21 12-27-2006 03:07 AM

If you live by a schucks, auto zone. etc. Go get it tested and see what the code is that is causing the light to come on. They should do it for free, then someone on here could point you in the right direction.

pwpanas 12-27-2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chomper
I don't know why my engine and warning light is on. Its been on for about a month now. The engine started to die on me about a week ago. It sometimes idle very low when not stepping on gas and even the engine dies once in a while. Can anyone tell me whats going on? I'm planning to fix my car before I sell it.

If your MK4 is a '93, '94 or '95, you can also check the code by yourself for free:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd1_codes.html

Chomper 03-06-2007 12:25 AM

check engine light

I'm having a hard time finding te1 and te. Where are they located? ARe they on the ECM?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas
If your MK4 is a '93, '94 or '95, you can also check the code by yourself for free:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd1_codes.html

pwpanas 03-06-2007 12:30 AM

Quote:

I'm having a hard time finding te1 and te. Where are they located? ARe they on the ECM?

No...look for the OBD diagnostic port under the dash, by the door on the driver's side. There's also another diagnostic port at the back (firewall) side of the engine bay, above the downpipe.

Chomper 03-06-2007 02:19 AM

check light

That was stupid of me. I thought it would be like hondas, by ecu. I found it and the code seems to be 21. That means its the oxygen sensor? should I just replace it? Do you know if it can cause the low idling problem, or is that something else?

thanks for your help

Quote:

No...look for the OBD diagnostic port under the dash, by the door on the driver's side. There's also another diagnostic port at the back (firewall) side of the engine bay, above the downpipe.

pwpanas 03-06-2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

...the code seems to be 21. That means its the oxygen sensor? should I just replace it?...

According to the documention, the problem is either:
Quote:

Open or short in heater circuit of main heated oxygen sensor (Fr) for 0.5 sec. or more.

Possible trouble areas are:
  • Open or short in heater circuit of main heated oxygen sensor.
  • Main heated oxygen sensor heater
  • ECM

....OR....

Quote:

Main heated oxygen sensor signal voltage is reduced to between 0.35V and 0.70V for 60 sec. under condition
a) ~ (d). (2 trip detection logic)

a). Engine coolant temp.: Between 80° C (176°F) and 95°C (203°F)
b). Engine speed: 1,500 rpm or more
c). Load driving (EX. A/T in overdrive (5th for M/T), A/C ON, Flat road, 50 mph <80 km/h>)
d). Main heated oxygen sensor signal voltage: Alternating above and below 0.45 V.

Possible trouble areas are:
  • Main heated oxygen sensor circuit
  • Main heated oxygen sensor

Simply replacing the O2 sensor might or might not fix the problem(s). In theory, the problem could also be in the wiring or the ecu itself. In other words, it's hit and miss if you start swapping parts without going through the proper troubleshooting procedures. In order to do this troubleshooting properly, you'd need a copy of the TSRMs (Toyota Supra Repair Manuals), and you'd need to follow ALL of the troubleshooting/diagnostic steps for each of the possible trouble areas listed above.

For what it's worth, if you're going to be working on your own Supra, I have to strongly recommend that you pick up your own copy of the TSRMs. They will literally pay for themselves several times over, which makes them an excellent investment.

One last observation: if your Supra has more than 100K miles on it, and especially if it has more than 150K miles on it, and your primary/main O2 sensor is the one that came with the car when it was new, I'd suggest you replace your primary O2 sensor regardless...
Quote:

...Do you know if it can cause the low idling problem...

Yes, it could be responsible for low idling, due to the likely-inaccurate O2 sensor readings being passed back to the ecu in closed-loop.

Chomper 03-06-2007 07:07 PM

problem

Yeah, I will probably replace the O2 sensor to see if thats the case. If its not, like you said, it might be time for a O2 replacement anyways. i'll do the replacement and hopefully thats the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Quote:

According to the documention, the problem is either:[/list]....OR....
[/list]Simply replacing the O2 sensor might or might not fix the problem(s). In theory, the problem could also be in the wiring or the ecu itself. In other words, it's hit and miss if you start swapping parts without going through the proper troubleshooting procedures. In order to do this troubleshooting properly, you'd need a copy of the TSRMs (Toyota Supra Repair Manuals), and you'd need to follow ALL of the troubleshooting/diagnostic steps for each of the possible trouble areas listed above.

For what it's worth, if you're going to be working on your own Supra, I have to strongly recommend that you pick up your own copy of the TSRMs. They will literally pay for themselves several times over, which makes them an excellent investment.

One last observation: if your Supra has more than 100K miles on it, and especially if it has more than 150K miles on it, and your primary/main O2 sensor is the one that came with the car when it was new, I'd suggest you replace your primary O2 sensor regardless...
Yes, it could be responsible for low idling, due to the likely-inaccurate O2 sensor readings being passed back to the ecu in closed-loop.

supraman08 07-17-2008 12:31 PM

similar queary

my problem sounds very similar ,, but my engine and warning light isnt always on .. it will come on when i have been driving for a while , or somtimes when i really get into it , sometimes it doesnt come on at all , could this mean that the o2 sensor is almost stuffed ?

pwpanas 07-18-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supraman08 (Post 61133)
my problem sounds very similar ,, but my engine and warning light isnt always on .. it will come on when i have been driving for a while , or somtimes when i really get into it , sometimes it doesnt come on at all , could this mean that the o2 sensor is almost stuffed ?

Honestly, it sounds more like a boost leak. Have you checked for this?