Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 09-10-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
dini_the_owl
Stock

dini_the_owl is on a distinguished road
Angry Help with Drive Axles on mk4 n/a to tt swap

Hi guys
im in the middle of swapping a n/a engine on the supra for a tt 2jzgte.
i have purchased a lsd from a tt supra snd i have noticed that the prop/drive shaft of the diff end is bigger on the tt than the n/a supra,is it my understanding that the flanges can be swapped from the n/a diff to the tt lsd to match up to the n/a drive shaft....?
my most important issue is the drive shaft couplings on the tt lsd are also bigger,as with the drive shafts bolts,makes sense really... what i wanna know is how to get around the problem of connecting the n/a driveshafts to the tt lsd.
if i purchase the rear tt driveshafts are the splines different on the diff end to the n/a,does anyone know how many splines on a tt driveshaft (diff end) and diameter in mm. so it would be possible to change the ends on the drive shafts to match the tt lsd coupling,therfore i will not have to replace the whole hub assembly,keeping the n/a driveshafts and n/a hub structure as is...?or are they different and i will need to replace the whole hub assembly aswell.If anyone has done this before or has any help please post a comment.
i would be most gratefull.
thanks andy
dini_the_owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini_the_owl
Hi guys
im in the middle of swapping a n/a engine on the supra for a tt 2jzgte.
i have purchased a lsd from a tt supra snd i have noticed that the prop/drive shaft of the diff end is bigger on the tt than the n/a supra,is it my understanding that the flanges can be swapped from the n/a diff to the tt lsd to match up to the n/a drive shaft....?
my most important issue is the drive shaft couplings on the tt lsd are also bigger,as with the drive shafts bolts,makes sense really... what i wanna know is how to get around the problem of connecting the n/a driveshafts to the tt lsd.
if i purchase the rear tt driveshafts are the splines different on the diff end to the n/a,does anyone know how many splines on a tt driveshaft (diff end) and diameter in mm. so it would be possible to change the ends on the drive shafts to match the tt lsd coupling,therfore i will not have to replace the whole hub assembly,keeping the n/a driveshafts and n/a hub structure as is...?or are they different and i will need to replace the whole hub assembly aswell.If anyone has done this before or has any help please post a comment.
i would be most gratefull.
thanks andy
Sorry I haven't done this swap myself, so I don't have the info to specifically answer the questions you posted. I'd ask though, why not simply upgrade everything to tt (i.e. tt engine, tt tranny, tt diff AND tt driveshaft) all together? That way you know everything will fit perfectly, and it'll all be rated for the same power level. I honestly don't know for a fact that the na driveshaft is weaker, but I'd guess that it may be...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-11-2006 at 01:22 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
dini_the_owl
Stock

Smile reply to last message

Your question regarding the complete swap to tt, Yes this is what i am aiming for although the Lsd is the first of my problems,i have purchased a tt engine,i am going to use the transmission from the n/a, (manual 5 speed) which means i have to use the n/a prop shaft,this can be done by swapping the front flange on the tt lsd with the one from my n/a.the only thing i have to do is fit the right hand bush which sits in the rear subframe( any ideas on how to do this...?) which holds the diff in place as there is only the left hand side bush on the n/a.
Tell me....if i purchased some tt driveshafts i am thinking i would also require the hub assembly,do you think i would need to buy new rear calipers etc as i imagine these would be different also....although dont know for sure.
your probably correct when you say they may be a little stronger but for the power i am after,the n/a bits will do just right if i can make them fit ok.
cheers andy
Old 09-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Your question regarding the complete swap to tt, Yes this is what i am aiming for although the Lsd is the first of my problems,i have purchased a tt engine,i am going to use the transmission from the n/a, (manual 5 speed) which means i have to use the n/a prop shaft,this can be done by swapping the front flange on the tt lsd with the one from my n/a.the only thing i have to do is fit the right hand bush which sits in the rear subframe( any ideas on how to do this...?) which holds the diff in place as there is only the left hand side bush on the n/a.
Tell me....if i purchased some tt driveshafts i am thinking i would also require the hub assembly,do you think i would need to buy new rear calipers etc as i imagine these would be different also....although dont know for sure.
your probably correct when you say they may be a little stronger but for the power i am after,the n/a bits will do just right if i can make them fit ok.
cheers andy
Are you sure the n/a 5 speed will hold the power that you (ultimately) plan to make with your setup?

Although the rear tt brake calipers are different than the rear n/a brake calipers, changing the driveshaft probably won't affect the hub. Also, since the n/a calipers bolt onto the tt hubs just fine (I do know that for sure), perhaps the hubs are identical as well?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
dini_the_owl
Stock

Angry help with tt-n/a rear hubs

Hi,thanks for your reply.
can anyone therefore tell me if the Rear hubs on a tt are the same as the hubs on a non turbo .i can possibly get hold of some tt driveshafts which will match the fitting on the LSD unit,but i would like to know if the hubs are identical.
with the inner diameter and splines,or would i have to purchase the tt hubs also....?
if anyone can be of any assistance i would be most gratefull.
thanks andy
Old 09-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Hi,thanks for your reply.
can anyone therefore tell me if the Rear hubs on a tt are the same as the hubs on a non turbo .i can possibly get hold of some tt driveshafts which will match the fitting on the LSD unit,but i would like to know if the hubs are identical.
with the inner diameter and splines,or would i have to purchase the tt hubs also....?
if anyone can be of any assistance i would be most gratefull.
thanks andy
Jeff Watson at Champion Toyota would know for sure (800)327-2087. He also offers good discounts on Toyota parts to Supra owners.