Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-19-2006, 08:32 PM   #1
The kid of the forum
Stock

The kid of the forum is on a distinguished road
Default Another youngin'

Welp...My name's Blake, Im 15 years old. Ive always liked supras but leaned towards the DSM scene because of how cheap they are....even if they break down a lot.

Recently I had this idea to buy an NA supra (93+ just because I can't live without the body style). I live in a middle-upper class town so my family isnt too bad on money, not rich, but my first car can go up to about 15k tops. My mom made a deal with me that so long as my grades are good, she will double whatever I save up for my car. Ive got about 5k now, after her double. Im just looking for a fun car I can toy around with and learn to drive in and when I'm ready (and have the cash) I plan to drop in a fresh(ish) tt motor and if its not already, a 6 speed transmission.

Does this price and plan sound reasonable?

OH, and this reminds me...I saw a video of a supra racing a mustang on the streets (from a stop) and this supra had the meanest sounding turbo (I THINK it was the turbo), The name of the file was "t51r supra v mustang", Im assuming thats the turbo it had. It sounded like a high pitched hissing and it seemed to..."feather out" as the rpms dropped. How exactly would I go about getting that sound?

(Message me on AIM and I'll provide video for you =D)

Thanks in advance!
The kid of the forum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The kid of the forum
Welp...My name's Blake, Im 15 years old. Ive always liked supras but leaned towards the DSM scene because of how cheap they are....even if they break down a lot.

Recently I had this idea to buy an NA supra (93+ just because I can't live without the body style). I live in a middle-upper class town so my family isnt too bad on money, not rich, but my first car can go up to about 15k tops. My mom made a deal with me that so long as my grades are good, she will double whatever I save up for my car. Ive got about 5k now, after her double. Im just looking for a fun car I can toy around with and learn to drive in and when I'm ready (and have the cash) I plan to drop in a fresh(ish) tt motor and if its not already, a 6 speed transmission.

Does this price and plan sound reasonable?...
Only if you've got at least another (additional) $6K or so for the tt engine & tranny swap (probably closer to $8K if you don't do ALL the work yourself). Also keep in mind after all that investment you still won't have a full TT - there are many, many other differences between the n/a and the tt Mkiv Supra (very significant differences that impact the overall performance of the car) including the brakes (calipers, rotors, abs controller, etc.), the suspension, and the differential.

Btw, the 6spd tranny never came in the n/a, so there's no way it would be already.
Quote:
...OH, and this reminds me...I saw a video of a supra racing a mustang on the streets (from a stop) and this supra had the meanest sounding turbo (I THINK it was the turbo), The name of the file was "t51r supra v mustang", Im assuming thats the turbo it had. It sounded like a high pitched hissing and it seemed to..."feather out" as the rpms dropped. How exactly would I go about getting that sound?

Thanks in advance!
That sound is the blow-off valve. The Mkiv Supra TT is already equipped with one from the factory, but to make that sound loud and not cause any other problems (eg. stalling), you'll need get rid of your stock mass air flow sensor...this can be done with several methods but the easiest is installation of a MAP ECU. After that, you can simply pull the outlet hose of the stock/oem bov, cap-off the point where that hose joins the intake, and the sound from your oem bov will be heard loud and clear.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-20-2006 at 03:12 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
The kid of the forum
Stock

As for the advice on the na supra idea, thank you. The idea was to learn to drive in the na supra and then while learning, save up money on the side for the complete conversion.

I havent heard about any bov being like that, sorry. Do you know what bov models do that and where I can get a hold of them perhaps or what I need for them to make that specific sound? Even turbo models, maybe?

Last edited by The kid of the forum; 01-20-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
As for the advice on the na supra idea, thank you. The idea was to learn to drive in the na supra and then while learning, save up money on the side for the complete conversion...
Hmmm...the complete conversion would probably cost in excess of $10K and would be a LOT of work...why not just save up for the TT in the first place?

Quote:
...I havent heard about any bov being like that, sorry. Do you know what bov models do that and where I can get a hold of them perhaps or what I need for them to make that specific sound? Even turbo models, maybe?
If I were to guess, I'd say it might be an HKS Type II Racing BOV. Honestly not sure though. Can you find out who posted that vid, and maybe get contact info for that Supra owner?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
The kid of the forum
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
Hmmm...the complete conversion would probably cost in excess of $10K and would be a LOT of work...why not just save up for the TT in the first place?
I just figured I'd start off with a decent and less expensive base.

I have no idea where I could find a supra tt for 15k. Not even wrecked (just because I cant find a wrecked supra). Know where I can find some decent classifieds?
Old 01-20-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I just figured I'd start off with a decent and less expensive base.

I have no idea where I could find a supra tt for 15k. Not even wrecked (just because I cant find a wrecked supra). Know where I can find some decent classifieds?
Unfortunately, you'll never find an n/a mkiv Supra for $5K ($15K-$10K=$5K) either. I'd guess that the very best deal you might find after LOTS of hard looking will probably be about $11K for one in half decent shape. For $21K, it wouldn't be that difficult to find a decent TT. Your total $ out-of-pocket would be almost exactly the same, but there would be no trying to find the exact, 100% complete list of (untested) used parts you'd need, and no long hours of mechanical labor/work doing the conversion.

There are some classified links here:
http://www.mkiv.com/buy_a_supra/index.html

Oh, and fwiw I'd also advise against a totalled/wrecked Supra, unless you're already a certified, trained expert at bodywork and mechanics. Even if you are (at 15 years of age I have my doubts, but hypothetically if were or soon will be), after the likely hundreds (yes hundreds) of hours of hard work fixing it up, note that cars with salvage titles are VERY difficult to resell. In addition, the truly unique value of the Mkiv Supra lies in it's performance: it's built to withstand 1000hp+, 200mph and 1g+ cornering...would you trust your life to a totalled Supra to perform the at those performance limits after being stretched-up with 'Bubba's frame machine? This isn't the same as hammering an old 'chevy truck back into shape...

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-20-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #7
Greglatta
Intake

Greglatta is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Does this price and plan sound reasonable?

OH, and this reminds me...I saw a video of a supra racing a mustang on the streets (from a stop) and this supra had the meanest sounding turbo (I THINK it was the turbo), The name of the file was "t51r supra v mustang", Im assuming thats the turbo it had. It sounded like a high pitched hissing and it seemed to..."feather out" as the rpms dropped. How exactly would I go about getting that sound?

Thanks in advance!
15k for your first car, your parents do not know what they are doing then thats like throwing away $15k, honestly I would just save that money and buy a honda or something that you dont ahve to worry about a accident honestly your not exp enough to be driving a supra for your first acar + your insurance will rape you
Greglatta is offline   Reply With Quote