Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-12-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
Lord Umoja
Stock

Lord Umoja is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Stupid Newbie Questions

As I stated in my other thread I am currently looking for a MkIV supra. I have been having trouble finding a car with the qualities that I want. Those qualities being a twin turbo with the 6-speed trans and a targa top. I was wondering what the costs involved and if it is even possible to create a twin turbo clone from a targa top N/A with the 5-speed. If anyone on this site has done this conversion or has any experience with this sort of deal please give me your opinions. I will not be buying my car until mid april at the earliest. I apologise for asking these newbie questions but could not find the info through a search.

Last edited by Lord Umoja; 01-12-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Lord Umoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Umoja
As I stated in my other thread I am currently looking for a MkIV supra. I have been having trouble finding a car with the qualities that I want. Those qualities being a twin turbo with the 6-speed trans and a targa top. I was wondering what the costs involved and if it is even possible to create a twin turbo clone from a targa top N/A with the 5-speed. If anyone on this site has done this conversion or has any experience with this sort of deal please give me your opinions. I will not be buying my car until mid april at the earliest. I apologise for asking these newbie questions but could not find the info through a search.
Just off the top of my head, you'd need at least the following items: a complete US-spec 2jz-gte longblock with turbos, US-Spec 2jz-gte ecu, main harness, resistor pack, ignitor, a 6spd, flywheel, clutch, driveshaft, 6spd diff, brake calipers, brake master cylinder (different control valve than the n/a), rotors, rims, fuel pump, abs ecu, and traction control ecu.

In short, there are so many differences that (imho) it will be less trouble to keep looking for the TT you want. Fwiw I'd guess (again this is a only guess) that you'd need to spend about $10K in parts (used) and at least 80 hours of labor to do the full conversion.

Fwiw, in my experience there really are no dumb/newbie questions after you've done a search, but I have seen a few dumb answers posted. I sincerely hope that my answer here wasn't one of them...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-12-2006 at 09:16 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Lord Umoja
Stock

Lord Umoja is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
Just off the top of my head, you'd need at least the following items: a complete US-spec 2jz-gte longblock with turbos, US-Spec 2jz-gte ecu, main harness, resistor pack, ignitor, a 6spd, flywheel, clutch, driveshaft, 6spd diff, brake calipers, brake master cylinder (different control valve than the n/a), rotors, rims, fuel pump, and traction control ecu. I'd guess the abs ecu is different too but I'm not sure.

In short, there are so many differences that (imho) it will be less trouble to keep looking for the TT you want. Fwiw I'd guess (again this is a only guess) that you'd need to spend about $10K in parts (used) and at least 80 hours of labor to do the full conversion.

Fwiw, in my experience there really are no dumb/newbie questions after you've done a search, but I have seen a few dumb answers posted. I sincerely hope that my answer here wasn't one of them...
Thanks for the info. My father who helps me with my car work grew up on old hot rods where a motor swap involved only the motor and a few minor accessories. Looks like I should just keep looking for that 6speed targa TT.

If you don't mind me asking where did you find your car and how rare is a TT with the options that I want. I know there is the list of cars made but I can only venture a guess as to how many were destroyed. Stupid fast and the furious
Lord Umoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Umoja
Thanks for the info. My father who helps me with my car work grew up on old hot rods where a motor swap involved only the motor and a few minor accessories. Looks like I should just keep looking for that 6speed targa TT.

If you don't mind me asking where did you find your car and how rare is a TT with the options that I want. I know there is the list of cars made but I can only venture a guess as to how many were destroyed. Stupid fast and the furious
I'd guess less than 4,000 Mkiv Supras still on the road in the US that were originally TT. Probably far less than that if you eliminate the salvaged/rebuilt ones. 6spd's are more rare than autos, but they are still 'findable'.

More info here:
http://mkiv.com/specifications/sales...ail_sales.html

In addition to the standard sites, fwiw there are probably several out there that specifically handle a lot of Mkiv Supras. Here's an example:
http://www.speed4sale.com/

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-12-2006 at 09:24 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote