Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-02-2006, 03:17 AM   #1
suprafann
3" Exhaust

suprafann is on a distinguished road
Default Need some more opinions on this..

what can man? any past or future problems

80,000 on engine 93 TT

This is the last thing stopping me from buying, as im just tryin to get as much info on what this could be, maybe its normal..but skillmatic already told me a little info on it..thanx skill

any other opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1135964152_DQ01861_0034.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	108  
suprafann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

old skanky oil.... not been changed very much...
that's if ur talkin bout inside the cap on the valve covers

oil cap... pic is kinda fuzzy.. but looks ok..

what were you worried about?

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
suprafann
3" Exhaust

i donno, maybe it was anti-freeze/coolant or sumthin.....blown headgasket, i donno

Was wondering because the dude that inspected teh car took ap icture of it for a reason, maybe they alwqys do it, or maybe he wanted me to see sumthin

I have no idea if that picture/oil signifies anythign major?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #4
suprafann
3" Exhaust

oh ya might as well throw this in here...what should a healthy engine read for comression in each cylinder
Old 01-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #5
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

Yes, the major problem I would worry about would be if he did his oil changes or not. Nothing is worse to a motor if you dont do your oil changes and making sure you check your coolant levels. Overheating and improper lubrication are the major problems why motors have problems and/or short lives.

IMproper lubrication can cause major problems down the road.

I would rather buy a a supra that has a motor with 200,000miles on it that has had its oil changes done religiously every 2000miles than buy a supra with a motor that has 70,000miles on it that has never had an oil change.

I am not too sure of the compression off the top of my head but I am sure its on this forum somewhere.
SKILMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #6
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

well.. does the cap look like this?

inside the cap is a caramelised colour... sorta like chocolate thickshake

compression i think should be anywhere between 160-180 evenly across all cylinders
i.e. 180 175 172 182 etc
not 180 160 180 180 that means problem in one cylinder

but get the idea?

(and i know i'm missing 2 cylinders lol)

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprafann
...what should a healthy engine read for comression in each cylinder
That's not the correct way to read compression. As in suprra_girl's example, the TSRM says the engine is "healthy" based on the difference between the minimum and maximum cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
...I am not too sure of the compression off the top of my head...
Why am I not surprised?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-03-2006 at 02:33 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

Quote:
Why am I not surprised?
Dude, what is your problem? If you want to help this individual out then that is great, but if you want to post because you want to be an a$$hole then go back to your other forums.

We would all apreciate it if you can act like a mature person while being on these forums. If you cant do this then you will probably not be here very long.

Now, I have helped several people on this forum with different things and they have also helped me.

This is a great community for a common love. And we are here to share information. If having a knowledge battle is all you are here for then you are in the wrong forum. No one likes a know-it-all and if you want to be claimed the know-it-all here then be my guess. I really dont have time to mess with children.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
Dude, what is your problem? If you want to help this individual out then that is great, but if you want to post because you want to be an a$$hole then go back to your other forums.

We would all apreciate it if you can act like a mature person while being on these forums. If you cant do this then you will probably not be here very long.

Now, I have helped several people on this forum with different things and they have also helped me.

This is a great community for a common love. And we are here to share information. If having a knowledge battle is all you are here for then you are in the wrong forum. No one likes a know-it-all and if you want to be claimed the know-it-all here then be my guess. I really dont have time to mess with children.
If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you post some useful information by looking up the correct compression test procedure, instead of posting something like "regular oil changes are good" and "I have no clue how to check compression"? Are you just trying to increase your post count on this forum or what? Just chill out ... forums aren't good places for people with egos so over-inflated and sensitive they can't take a friendly little jab (along with the valid content & response I made) in response to a WOB post.

I'd suggest we stay on topic on this thread. If you really feel a strong need to argue with me some more, I'd kindly suggest (with sincere respect to both the person that started the thread as well as the moderators) that you follow up with me via PM or email.

Here's some more info for suprafann, to (hopefully) help get this thread back on topic. If you do find any low cylinders during the compression test, it's best to follow up with a cylinder leakdown test (CLT) on those low cylinders.

Also, from the picture you posted, it looks like synthetic oil was not consistently used in that Supra. The 'coking' that you see can possibly lead to a number of problems, including oil starvation to the bearing(s) or turbo(s). In an ideal world, that engine should be disassembled and hot-tanked...but there are a few things you can do to partially flush it out without disassembly, if you do end up buying it. Please PM me for more info, or post after you have the results of your compression test.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-03-2006 at 08:33 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #10
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

Quote:

If you don't mind me asking, why didn't you post some useful information by looking up the correct compression test procedure
Again this is none of your business. Me and suprafann have been pming each other for awhile. I told him all this information was off of the TSRM. I gave him a link and he is loving it.

Quote:
Are you just trying to increase your post count on this forum or what? Just chill out ... forums aren't good places for people with egos so over-inflated and sensitive they can't take a friendly little jab (along with the valid content & response I made) when they do a WOB post
Also, I never said I dont know how to check for compression. I said I didnt know off the top of my head what the compression readings are. Please learn to read sir. This has been a problem of yours since day one on this forum. We all would appreciate it if you could read clearly.

Period end of discussion. I am not going to continue this discussion with a pm or email. Because I dont have the time to bicker and argue with you.

Let this be the end of this and let life go on. Please I would appreciate if you would stop the flame remarks and act like an adult on forums. I havent flamed you at all and I am hoping you will realize this and treat others as you would like to be treated.

Sincerely