Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 12-30-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
panicos
Stock

panicos is on a distinguished road
Default Idle Problem. Please Help

My Jza80 TT wont start in the morning unlless I have my foot on the throttle. When it warms up then it will idle at 500pm. It seems like the Idle control valve does not take any commands from the Ecu. Please give me a few guidelines, suggestions on where to look for the problem. Thanks
panicos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos
My Jza80 TT wont start in the morning unlless I have my foot on the throttle. When it warms up then it will idle at 500pm. It seems like the Idle control valve does not take any commands from the Ecu. Please give me a few guidelines, suggestions on where to look for the problem. Thanks
Do you have a copy of the TSRMs? I'm sure there's a troubleshooting section for the IACV. Imo, the TSRMs are a 'must-have' for all Mkiv Supra TT owners that want to do their own maintenance and modifications.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:00 PM   #3
panicos
Stock

panicos is on a distinguished road

My car is Jap Specs and Jap Import. I have nothing. My michanic is unable to locate the problem and my only way is to sort out my self with the help of you guys.
panicos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
My car is Jap Specs and Jap Import. I have nothing. My michanic is unable to locate the problem and my only way is to sort out my self with the help of you guys.
In that case, troubleshooting will be more difficult. As a first step, I'd suggest finding another Supra owner that lives near you to see if they'd let you swap their IACV temporarily. If that fixes the problem, all you need is a new IACV from Toyota...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:44 PM   #5
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

have you tried running a diagnostic?

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:27 AM   #6
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It may be your IACV(idle air control valve), but is there a problem with idling once the car is warm?
SKILMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:41 AM   #7
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
It may be your IACV(idle air control valve), but is there a problem with idling once the car is warm?
I know you said it idles when it is warm at 500rpm but do you notice any flutering at all? Anything different? Is it at all slugish?

Its just kind of odd how the IACV works fine once you are warm but during cold start it doesnt seem to work.

Do you notice any wires loose? Did you have any electrical problems before? I would try changing the IACV first then if that doesnt solve the problem we can trouble shoot some more.
SKILMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:26 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
...I would try changing the IACV first then if that doesnt solve the problem we can trouble shoot some more.
Is there an echo in here?

Old 01-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #9
suprra_girl
7M POWAH! ;)

suprra_girl has a spectacular aura aboutsuprra_girl has a spectacular aura about

we won't really know much until he does at least a diagnostic... it very well may be the isc but pulling codes is always a good first step

Pics of my build.

"Good girls are just bad girls that don't get caught"

Do a diagnostic first!
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:48 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprra_girl
we won't really know much until he does at least a diagnostic... it very well may be the isc but pulling codes is always a good first step
Agreed...if your Supra's ecu has any codes, it's always a worthwhile exercise to go through them first. Although you didn't mention the check-engine light, please post any codes stored in your ecu and we'll help you make sense of them.