Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 12-28-2005, 03:44 AM   #1
suprafann
3" Exhaust

suprafann is on a distinguished road
Default the CONS/PRO'S of an auto?

what would be the cons of an automatic supra compared to a manual....both TT

mu current car is auto and turboed (civic si), problems i have are gears shift sluggish, people around here have a hard time tuning automatics for sume reason, no standalone system works with automatic....?

And what are the PRO'S if any of the supra auto?

my goal for my future supra is 500-700 HP, i want my car to give you the "whoa affect" while smashin the gas, but at teh same time i want it reliable and a daily driver.

I guess to keep this all in one thread, what mods would you guys to tot eh auto supra in order, change torque converter etc, upgrade turbos, what standalone,.

Like what woudl you guys do in order? might as well research what ic an before i pick it up
suprafann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:07 AM   #2
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprafann
what would be the cons of an automatic supra compared to a manual....both TT

mu current car is auto and turboed (civic si), problems i have are gears shift sluggish, people around here have a hard time tuning automatics for sume reason, no standalone system works with automatic....?

And what are the PRO'S if any of the supra auto?

my goal for my future supra is 500-700 HP, i want my car to give you the "whoa affect" while smashin the gas, but at teh same time i want it reliable and a daily driver.

I guess to keep this all in one thread, what mods would you guys to tot eh auto supra in order, change torque converter etc, upgrade turbos, what standalone,.

Like what woudl you guys do in order? might as well research what ic an before i pick it up
The only performance cars that are good with auto's are muscle cars. With the newer ones you must get a manual to be competitive and to have less problems. Automatics suckballs when it comes to performance. Its a proven fact.

The only good things about automatics are for daily driving purposes. Liesure, never grind gears, and you can getroadhead easier. Thats about it dude.
SKILMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:55 AM   #3
suprafann
3" Exhaust

damm ill still get lots of power to the wheels wont i?

im not gonna drag or nuthin, but if a mustang pulls up to me or a done yp eclipse etc, i dotn wanna get wasted just because i have auto. When i say done up, i mean basic mods like eclipse with a avergae turbo/exhaust etc.

Last thing i want to get stuck with is a supra that looks fast, but it held back by the auto. Thats the reason im getting rid of the 4 banger, too many problems cause its not meant to be turboed,a nd its not that fast
Old 12-28-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

Quote:
damm ill still get lots of power to the wheels wont i?

im not gonna drag or nuthin, but if a mustang pulls up to me or a done yp eclipse etc, i dotn wanna get wasted just because i have auto. When i say done up, i mean basic mods like eclipse with a avergae turbo/exhaust etc.

Last thing i want to get stuck with is a supra that looks fast, but it held back by the auto. Thats the reason im getting rid of the 4 banger, too many problems cause its not meant to be turboed,a nd its not that fast
Well you better hope its not the newer GT stangs cause they are putting around 300to the wheels and if its a manual he will probably win. If you have a manual you will win. Now you will still get power to the ground but you will find it much harder to get a good launch and you wont be able to negate rpms.

Again if you want my advice, GET A MANUAL! you will thank me later.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:57 PM   #5
TRAFIK
3" Exhaust

TRAFIK is on a distinguished road

with an auto you will have to upgrade after about 500hp. th400 ,powerglide or upgrade your stock auto( rebuild it) so it can handle more power. SP has some good options for upgreading your auto tranny.with a some work ( depending what you end up doing to the auto tranny ) you can make it fast off the line. and fast over all. But auto is weaker then 6speed and 6speed can hold more power.And I can see auto breaking before 6 speed will , this is only when you comapre both trans. I am not saying that auto is BAD ( is beats the living hell of any other stock auto trannys) but you are you are 2 gears short and less power output. the only thing you need to do on a 6speed to hold some sirious power is a GOOD clutch and some good lube ( change often). Less worry more fun.

This is commin from a person that owns auto.

P.S Dont get me wrong most of the fastes supras out there are auto.

--===Give me 2jz-Gte or give me death!===--
TRAFIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:31 AM   #6
suprafann
3" Exhaust

damm, gots me second guessin, the only reason im going with auto is because its a great deal, cars in great shape and its a legit seller. So far all the 6speeds have been frauds or way out of my budget .

Will say a 600 HP auto supra give me the "snapping neck feeling" or push you back into your seat.

i could always do auto-manualk swap a couple of years down the road
Old 12-29-2005, 01:58 AM   #7
suprafann
3" Exhaust

lets say i do these following mods.

Fluidyne Transmission Cooler 65 bucks

Powerhouse Racing Torque Converter Upgrade for 1993-98 Supra Auto 999.00.....OR

Sound Performance Torque Converter Level 1...750.00

would this increase the power i could handle, and driveability (slippage)

OR IS BETTER TO JSUT GO WITH/....i take it this is a built full transmission

Boost Logic Automatic Transmission for 1993-98 Supra Twin Turbo
This transmission was tested and developed on Boost Logic’s 9 second @ 142mph daily driven street Supra. This transmission has been tested for over 25,000 miles and counting, as the Supra it was tested on is a daily driver. More than 40 low-10-second passes have been made on this transmission and it still drives like the day it was put in.

It shifts FIRMLY and INSTANTLY. It doesn’t shift too hard to daily drive but will HOLD the power at the track. Many cars have been using this transmission and are loving it. The price of this transmission does not do justice to the level of performance this transmission puts out. The transmission is half the price compared to other competitors and is PROVEN to run 9's in the 1/4 mile.

A working core exchange is required. Contact MVP for details on the core exchange. Shipping will be calculated after you place the order but before we charge your credit card.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:20 AM   #8
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

Quote:
damm, gots me second guessin, the only reason im going with auto is because its a great deal, cars in great shape and its a legit seller. So far all the 6speeds have been frauds or way out of my budget .

Will say a 600 HP auto supra give me the "snapping neck feeling" or push you back into your seat.

i could always do auto-manualk swap a couple of years down the road
Well if its a good deal then get it now! You can always do a swap if you want later
Old 12-29-2005, 04:09 AM   #9
suprafann
3" Exhaust

ya its 16k for a TT, and you saw the pictures, its in good condition

ya i wanted stick, but i came across this one and it was mint.

I donno i jsut want a car that can go with msot of thsoe cars on the street, that drives well, without problems. I heard the auto only robs about 5% of the HP compared to stick.

What you think of that automatic transmission mvp has for sale, is that built pretty tough?

heres my goals in short.....500-700 hp 500-600 WHP.....a car that can run good without majr problems like my otehr car. Car that is tunable and isnt TOTALLY HELD back because of the auto, i know it will rob soem power but i dont want a car thats gonna be slow and everyones gonna be like its the auto.

I probaly sound like a dumbass, but my car now has like 130 whp and get 300 km to a tank, not what i wanted fromt he moeny ive spent, it is faster but you cant feel it in your body etc
Old 12-29-2005, 04:27 AM   #10
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

Quote:
ya its 16k for a TT, and you saw the pictures, its in good condition

ya i wanted stick, but i came across this one and it was mint.

I donno i jsut want a car that can go with msot of thsoe cars on the street, that drives well, without problems. I heard the auto only robs about 5% of the HP compared to stick.

What you think of that automatic transmission mvp has for sale, is that built pretty tough?

heres my goals in short.....500-700 hp 500-600 WHP.....a car that can run good without majr problems like my otehr car. Car that is tunable and isnt TOTALLY HELD back because of the auto, i know it will rob soem power but i dont want a car thats gonna be slow and everyones gonna be like its the auto.

I probaly sound like a dumbass, but my car now has like 130 whp and get 300 km to a tank, not what i wanted fromt he moeny ive spent, it is faster but you cant feel it in your body etc
Well 16grand for a tt is very good. I would buy it now. And later put money into it to make it even better. If you get 500whp to that auto you will basically decimate almost any car on the road today. I mean were talking almost every ferrari made, all sport compacts, most corvetts except for the new c6. All mustangs including cobras and saleens, all porsches except for 1, aston martins except the v12 vanquish, BMW's including the M3, M5, Z3, Z4 , and even Z9, and so much more. Theres not much on the road that will be able to touch you. Simple as that.