Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 12-13-2005, 07:08 AM   #1
Dboz
Stock

Dboz is on a distinguished road
Default Something you Supra guys might wanna see

http://www.sportscarforums.com/f10/f...at-8525-6.html

http://www.sportscarforums.com/f11/s...obra-8239.html

They love bashing supras in this forum... and i dont even have a supra and i cant believe some of the retarded things they say
Dboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboz

They love bashing supras in this forum... and i dont even have a supra and i cant believe some of the retarded things they say
As I'm sure you know, there are lots of 2jz-gte's in the 6's. For example:
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/200mphcelica.html

The Mkiv Supra is a GT roadracer...to compare it with a rustang that can barely corner is rediculous. Sure you can build a solid-axle rustang to win in the 1/8th cheaper than you can a Mkiv Supra. If they think that makes the rustang a superior overall 'sportscar', then I'm truly happy for them.

I wish I had the time to join that forum and defend the Supra's honor, but for me it's a case of been-there-done-that. About a year or so ago I spent a couple of weeks of spare time arguing with similar types on I think it was exoticcarforums. Although I got the main person I was arguing with to admit I could easily (and quite cheaply) upgrade an Mkiv Supra to tear his ~550hp at the crank Firebird a new one...on pump gas with water injection (those types always like to bring up the race gas thing), in the end he didn't officially concede or anything...he and his 'fanboys' just abandoned the thread. In the end I feel it was pretty much a big waste of time, since most of them will continue to believe whatever they choose, no matter what evidence is presented. Like they say, arguing on the internet is like the special olympics...

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-13-2005 at 02:34 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboz

Mustangs are nice because they have a v8 powerplant in them to work with. However, the only race that vehicle will win is a drag. You stick it in any other category the supra will make it cry all over a track. I have seen it.

Not to mention the 4.6l puts out about 300hp while a 2.8l on the supra puts out around 340. I guess ford loves to waiste their displacement.
SKILMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
Mustangs are nice because they have a v8 powerplant in them to work with...
Imho there's nothing inherently "nice" about a v8, except for it's slightly lower center of gravity. Generally speaking, a V8 is a poor design, that's inherently unbalanced, and puts 'funky' loads on the main bearings. ...and don't even get me started on how 'stone-age' push-rod technology is. Only decades of 'tweaking' and literally billions of $ of investment by car manufacturers and race teams have made the v8 a somewhat-viable alternative. Contrast all that to how easily we can get over 1000whp out of a bone-stock 3.0L inline-6 longblock, using only a big turbo and a set of cams...and I hope you can see why I believe that (in general) the term "v8" is highly overrrated.

Fwiw, the only domestic production v8s that I have any interest in is the ZR-1 Corvette's LT5, and the 5.4L engine in the Ford GT. Imo, if Chevy had put even 1/10th the r&d into the LT5 as they did with their stupid pushrod, 2-valve-per-cylinder LS2, they might have actually had something...
Quote:
...However, the only race that vehicle will win is a drag...
For the $, yes (especially in the 1/8th)...but in relative numbers, there are many full-weight Supras in the 9s and 8s that can compete in the 1/4.
Quote:
...You stick it in any other category the supra will make it cry all over a track. I have seen it...
Agreed.
Quote:
...Not to mention the 4.6l puts out about 300hp while a 2.8l on the supra puts out around 340...
Fwiw, the Supra is 3.0L (not that 0.2L makes that big a difference), and actually put out about 320whp with the 6spd option (about 375hp at the crank) bone-stock...very underrated from the factory.
Quote:
...I guess ford loves to waiste their displacement.
Of course, the big difference between the two (horsepower per liter of displacement) is forced induction.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-14-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
Hennessey
Stock

Hennessey is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Read Now

ok let me settle this coming from a man that loves cars from a 4 banger evo to a v10 viper.

1st of all saying v8s are big heavy all that bullshit is really stupid. Look at it this way; mazda rx7 fd3s weighs about 2850 lbs. Do a (BIG HEAVY) v8 swap... the car weighs 2930. Wow. Diffence of 80 pounds and a gain of 200 horsepower unmodefied.

2nd you guys are naming lower class v8 engines.Why dont you talk about the mustang COBRA not just a gt? Rev up to one youll see the diffrence.

3rd v8s are heavy gas guzzlers and dont get enough horsepower for thier weight... HA HA i love this one. Can anyone say 2006 Chevy Corvette z06?
505 horsepower 7.0L v8, 470 lbs of tourqe, 3,130 lbs , 17 mpg, 0-60 in 3.6 1/4 in 11.5 all for the super expensive price of 65k.oh and did i mention that is RAW ENGINE? NOT TURBO NOT SUPERCHARGED. DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED IF YOU TWIN TRUBO THAT CAR.

So please all of you in this "engine size war" crawl out from whatever cave your living in and welcome to 2006. And I4 can beat a V12 if you really want to. Vice versa. Stop living in the stone age, there is no debate its all in your head.
No im not giving ricers with 4 cyl honda fwds any hope beacause sorry, your cars are garbage. Yes they can get as low as 9 seconds and those cars either have engine swapped or modified the car so much its not even a true honda. Get a real car. If you must go FWD, get an RSX, Cobalt,srt4 or something PLEASE. Save yourself the embarassment.
Hennessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessey
ok let me settle this coming from a man that loves cars from a 4 banger evo to a v10 viper.

1st of all saying v8s are big heavy all that bullshit is really stupid. Look at it this way; mazda rx7 fd3s weighs about 2850 lbs. Do a (BIG HEAVY) v8 swap... the car weighs 2930. Wow. Diffence of 80 pounds and a gain of 200 horsepower unmodefied.

2nd you guys are naming lower class v8 engines.Why dont you talk about the mustang COBRA not just a gt? Rev up to one youll see the diffrence.

3rd v8s are heavy gas guzzlers and dont get enough horsepower for thier weight... HA HA i love this one. Can anyone say 2006 Chevy Corvette z06?
505 horsepower 7.0L v8, 470 lbs of tourqe, 3,130 lbs , 17 mpg, 0-60 in 3.6 1/4 in 11.5 all for the super expensive price of 65k.oh and did i mention that is RAW ENGINE? NOT TURBO NOT SUPERCHARGED. DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED IF YOU TWIN TRUBO THAT CAR.

So please all of you in this "engine size war" crawl out from whatever cave your living in and welcome to 2006. And I4 can beat a V12 if you really want to. Vice versa. Stop living in the stone age, there is no debate its all in your head.
No im not giving ricers with 4 cyl honda fwds any hope beacause sorry, your cars are garbage. Yes they can get as low as 9 seconds and those cars either have engine swapped or modified the car so much its not even a true honda. Get a real car. If you must go FWD, get an RSX, Cobalt,srt4 or something PLEASE. Save yourself the embarassment.
Who are you arguing with? It seems you're responding to posts that no one made. Who said V8's are heavier, for example? ...and you're the 1st person that mentioned "gas guzzlers" on this thread. Do a search...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
Hennessey
Stock

i skimmed through the post. Im just sick and tired of seeing people taking out of thier ass about cars when they dont know what the hell they are talking about.

anyways thats not the point
do i not make sense in my post?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
i skimmed through the post. Im just sick and tired of seeing people taking out of thier ass about cars when they dont know what the hell they are talking about.

anyways thats not the point
do i not make sense in my post?
Sure, most of what you say makes sense ... but I'm not sure it "settles" anything (imho) since your points don't appear to directly address the MKIV Supra ... and you're posting in an MKIV Supra forum.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-20-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #9
Hennessey
Stock

well maybe this will make you feel better.

Im buying an MKIV. They are the rarest, fastest cars around.
and i mean that, but of course you already know that.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
well maybe this will make you feel better.

Im buying an MKIV. They are the rarest, fastest cars around.
and i mean that, but of course you already know that.
Welcome to the club, sir!

Although I doubt your Supra will do much for my feelings, I believe it'll do yours just fine.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-25-2006 at 01:12 PM.