Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 03-18-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
Schrom
Stock

Schrom is on a distinguished road
Default New Supra Owner

I recently purchased a 1998 Supra N/A AT.

I've been looking into doing some upgrades into it, and I've been around and read enough online to know, I don't know what I'm doing.

First I wanna do new wheels, but I don't wanna skip out now and get the wrong thing that I will have to correct in the future.

I'm looking to eventually have around 500HP, daily driver.

I'm moving into this slow, I currently have a VVT-i with around 135k Miles, I'm guessing I'll have to do an engine swap to handle the 500HP well. But I can't just hop into that now.

I also know I will have to eventually do a Built Auto Transmission to handle the HP.

So what I'm asking now, is where to go with wheels, exhaust, engine, transmission, brakes, as well as do I need to do suspension upgrades or anything with that?

Also, I'm in AZ and I do not know any reliable supra mechanics or tuners yet if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks for any help guys.
Schrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
warmkop

warmkop is on a distinguished road

Welcome.
What size wheels where you thinking of using.
500hp on the wheels or enjin.
warmkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 AM   #3
Schrom
Stock

probably 18's or 19's i think im gonna go try to get XXR 521's.. don't know what size tires though or if i need to roll my fenders or anything.

and whp sorry.. don't know cheapest but most reliable way to obtain that really.. i found a recommended place in AZ to take my supra too, they specialize in Japanese cars so i'm gonna check it out soon.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrom View Post
probably 18's or 19's i think im gonna go try to get XXR 521's.. don't know what size tires though or if i need to roll my fenders or anything.

and whp sorry.. don't know cheapest but most reliable way to obtain that really.. i found a recommended place in AZ to take my supra too, they specialize in Japanese cars so i'm gonna check it out soon.
The main consderation on the rims is the width, not the diameter. More HP = more width. For 350rwhp, you'll need at least 275s. For 550rwhp you'll need at least 315s. Anything above 700rwhp you'll need at least 335s.

To fit 315s you'll need to trim (not roll) your rear inner fender lips. Rolling enough to get the clearance you need will distort (bend) the fender. Trimming is quite easy with a reciprocating saw. Trim, grind smooth, paint. It only takes about 30 minutes a side, and results are 1) perfect, and 2) no downside whatsoever - the fender retains all of its strength.

The stock exhaust will handle about 500rwhp with no problem. In my experience, if you're doing exhaust as one of your first upgrades, it's mainly for looks and sound...not performance.

The need for brake and suspension upgrades depends on your application. If you can swap in TT brakes, it'll be more than you'll ever need for daily driving (even 'spirited') daily driving. If you're planning on roadracing, you'll want to look into suspension upgrades. If you let us know more about exactly what you want to do with your Supra, we can provide you with more specific advice.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-21-2014 at 11:54 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
Schrom
Stock

I was hoping to run into you, you really seem to know your stuff.

I mainly just want a reliable daily driver that I can do some highway pulls, and maybe some autocross, which I've heard it's hard and easier with an auto. so a little unsure..

Everyone has told me I'm gonna wanna keep upgrading for more horsepower, but I'll probably just go with 315's, so do I need to find the correct rim to fit the 315 aswell? I'm pretty shit when it comes to knowing my stuff.

I'll take note of the brakes, which i'll probably do that.

As for the exhaust, I'll admit I do like the look of the big 3' exhaust, and the sound of course.

But to get up to my desired WHP, Should I wait and try to get a swap in or just wait rebuilt my stock engine and find a good turbo kit? and for around 500WHP I will need to buy a built auto transmission correct?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I was hoping to run into you, you really seem to know your stuff.

I mainly just want a reliable daily driver that I can do some highway pulls, and maybe some autocross, which I've heard it's hard and easier with an auto. so a little unsure..

Everyone has told me I'm gonna wanna keep upgrading for more horsepower, but I'll probably just go with 315's, so do I need to find the correct rim to fit the 315 aswell? I'm pretty shit when it comes to knowing my stuff.

I'll take note of the brakes, which i'll probably do that.

As for the exhaust, I'll admit I do like the look of the big 3' exhaust, and the sound of course.

But to get up to my desired WHP, Should I wait and try to get a swap in or just wait rebuilt my stock engine and find a good turbo kit? and for around 500WHP I will need to buy a built auto transmission correct?
For 315s you'll need at least 11" wide rims...preferably 11.5" width. The offset on the rear is +50, same as oem...because you're adding exactly 1" on the inside, and 1" on the outside of the oem 9.5" rims. I modified my oem rims by adding 2" of width on the inside, and mounted with a 1" hub-centric spacer (you can see the spacer-with-studs in that link). This setup worked perfectly.

I'd suggest a good n/a-T kit with your same engine. Don't try to piece-meal a solution together yourself - this complete kit is carefully engineered and tested to be a 100% complete, rock-solid reliable solution. No guesswork - all results. Easy install. I've gone both ways, and unless you have lots of time and money to waste, just get the complete kit off the shelf. Of course, the other option is to do a full 2jz-gte swap, with harness and ecu.

Autocross may be easier with an auto, but it's also slower. Your best autocross performance would be with a Getrag V-160...although I know that isn't the least expensive option. A 5spd m/t from the n/a should hold ~500hp just fine.

The stock suspension is too mushy for autocrossing. You'll want at least a set of KYB shocks, aftermarket springs (eg. Eibachs), and a stiffer front sway bar. Leave the oem rear sway bar in place unless you want to prefer to drive with increased oversteer (note: oversteer can be very dangerous/risky to you and your car if you're already not highly skilled in this driving style). A full set of integrated coilovers (eg. Tein) would give an even better result than the KYBs and Eibachs, but they're kind of pricey. Here are some options for your review.

Thank you for your kind words! We're glad to help - please keep the questions coming!

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-21-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
Schrom
Stock

I'm at about 135k miles, would that turbo kit be to much stress on a engine with that many miles?

also, since http://www.xxrwheels.com/xxr_530.shtml do not come with 11.5's is it gonna become a pain to work with these? or even http://www.xxrwheels.com/xxr_521.shtml
Old 03-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I'm at about 135k miles, would that turbo kit be to much stress on a engine with that many miles?

also, since http://www.xxrwheels.com/xxr_530.shtml do not come with 11.5's is it gonna become a pain to work with these? or even http://www.xxrwheels.com/xxr_521.shtml
Nah it's a 'yota. It'll probably be fine. Just be sure to do a compression test (or leakdown test) to ensure it's in good shape. If the oil has never been changed for 135K miles, the compression test results won't be very good. If it's been well-maintained, the compression test should show good results.

You need to pick wheels that are as wide as you need. Don't invest a penny in skinny rims that are all for show and no consideration for better traction. Your 2nd link comes in an 18x10, but I'm not sure the offset would be right. That diameter & width might work with a 305-width tire, if you can find one sticky enough. Here's one option:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
There are lots of options in 295/35:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...35&diameter=18

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-21-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #9
Schrom
Stock

will do.

hmmm, i can't find 11.5's anywhere.. is it expensive to widen rims?

also, do most turbo kits, come with full exhaust or usually not? I didn't really get a chance to read up to much on it. Sorry.

Last edited by Schrom; 03-22-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
will do.

hmmm, i can't find 11.5's anywhere.. is it expensive to widen rims?

also, do most turbo kits, come with full exhaust or usually not? I didn't really get a chance to read up to much on it. Sorry.
When I was evaluating the options, the cost to widen rims was much less than the cost of a new set of rims. Also, there are many companies out there that will create a set of rims to your spec, including the correct offset. CCW out of Florida is one I recall offhand. CCW also knows the correct specs for the jza80 chassis. A few others (more pricey) are HRE, Forgeline, and Fikse.

I forgot to mention in my previous post - when I widened my oem (tt) 9.5" rear rims up to 11.5", I ran another set of unwidened oem tt rear rims on the front. Again, I really liked that setup...I'd probably still be running it today if I didn't need to go even wider.

Turbo kits come with whatever you need to bolt up to the oem exhaust...typically a 'shorty-downpipe' off the turbo. Since aftermarket exhausts are designed to replace the oem exhaust, they will work with any (good) aftermarket turbo kit. Again, here's one na-T kit I can recommend:
http://www.boostlogic.com/catalog/p1...duct_info.html
...and here's where it mentions the components it uses to connect the new turbo to the oem exhaust:
- 3” SS304 Polished Downpipe w/ Flex Joint
- 3” SS304 Polished Midpipe
(The "SS304 Polished Dump Tube" only connects up to the new (aftermarket) wastegate).

It's a pretty good looking kit. Take a look at the results post-installation:
http://vrechise.com/getimage.php?i=sc3001.jpg

If all you want is looks with the exhaust, just cut the tip off the oem exhaust and get a nice aftermarket tip welded on:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-35171/overview/

Again, an oem TT exhaust will flow 500hp just fine. However if the aftermarket turbo system you choose significantly exceeds that hp, you'll want to get a full aftermarket exhaust system.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-22-2014 at 11:05 AM.