Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #11
iwantasupra
Stock

iwantasupra is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...someone told me the MKIVs did come w/ a single turbo setup, but I guess they were wrong. And they said it came w/ 237bhp versus 220bhp on the n/a...so yeah I don't think a 17hp gain is legit. But anyway, what's the advantage of twins versus single? I know a lot about turbo'd cars, don't get me wrong...I have a '97 850 R Volvo and I just blew up the 15G, I've got a 16T on the way...couldn't get ahold of a used 19T, but anyway. My understanding is, twins spool faster which makes them better for street use, but for heavy drag purposes, a single can push more power since it's running off 6 cylinders versus 3. I always explained it to people using weight lifting...u might be able to bench 250 lbs. 20 times, but u won't get a 125-lb. dumbbell in each hand up 20 times. But again, I've seen 1000+rwhp Supras on twin T04s, and 800rwhp Supras on T72s, SP78s, GT70s, T88s, whatever. So...just wondering about that. I know single turbo setups are a helluva lot easier to tune, that's for sure.
iwantasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #12
iwantasupra
Stock

What I'm really looking for is a Supra w/ cosmetic work...body kit, wheels, rear spoiler, hood, interior stuff, gauges, that kind of thing. I really don't care if it's running on stock everything. Intake, downpipe, exhaust, EBC, and fuel cut controller and I could put down an easy 500rwhp. HP is cheap w/ these cars...but as w/ any car, body work is expensive, and I'd rather find a MKIV w/ a nice body kit and wheels along w/ it. I'd prefer black or red, but I'll take any color if it's priced right. It's gotta have a 6-speed and targa top or I don't want it. I found one on autotrader for $14,000 in Arizona, it's got a single conversion and has dyno'd at 525rwhp. Black w/ Veilside hood, body kit, stock rear wing (I love the stocker wings), stock wheels (blah!), but it's got a nice bit of engine work, and the guy seems legit. Not another BS scam deal. It's a '94...he's pulled off autotrader for me so I can think about it. I'm selling my car, I'm hoping to get $10-10.5K for it. It'd be a nice car to have tho. I dunno what I'd do w/ 525rwhp, I rode in my buddy's 385rwhp Z06 and it scared the shit outta' me.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:07 AM   #13
Thecure634
Intake

Thecure634 is on a distinguished road

i think the twin turbo is to make the power smoother instead of getting all the power at once when just the one turbo kicks in. And from most of the high hp supras ive seen, they usually have a single turbo like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...81770043QQrdZ1

im not that great with cars so... and there never was a single turbo from the factory
Thecure634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:14 AM   #14
Thecure634
Intake

Thecure634 is on a distinguished road

how much is he selling it for? and i wonder what's the cheapest anyone has gotten an mk4 tt for(that actually runs with decent miles)
Thecure634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:17 PM   #15
SupraMan1784
SP58GT

SupraMan1784 is on a distinguished road

nah...from the factory twin turbos came with 320bhp, and teh n/a came with...225bhp i wanna say...might be a little off, twin spools faster only because the setup comes as a smaller turbo then a larger turbo..therefore the smaller turbo spools up first creating boost..then teh larger turbo spools up creating more boost, a single large turbo will obviously take longer to spool up due to its size and weight, i forgot what the twin turbo setup is called theres a name for it..but its not important...i also know u can upgrade the twins to the same size so they engage at the same time...kind of acts like one big turbo except that you now have two...twin turbos are better for circuit and street use because they spool faster...therefore giving you more power in teh lower rpms...more control in teh corners...since once the boost engages in teh single..u get a kick...imagine getting a boost kick while in mid corner..its a little unstable...the single gives u all the power all at one time while the twin gives u power in two increments, ive seen twin turbo setups make over 1000hp... and the same with single turbo setups...but then again 1000hp on teh street is kind of useless...and itll eat a lot of gas...theres no point in having 1000hp on the street unless u plan on racing everyone you see....thats why people limit themselves to around 600-800whp...because its more practical for the street...you still ahve an enormous amount of power...but its more controllable, i dunno from what ive seen both setups are pretty easy to tune, theyre almost the same except that you can have more power in teh lower part of the powerband with the twin turbos...and make sure you dont get scammed by that dude in az...what car are u selling for 10.5g's? i hope this answers some questions
421whp 400(399) ft*lbs of torque on tap @ 15 psi

"Always outnumbered, never outgunned."
SupraMan1784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:46 PM   #16
iwantasupra
Stock

Huh...that's funny, I didn't know Supras were twin-turbo'd sequentially...smaller into a bigger. Most twin turbo setups just have equal sized turbos running off half the cylinders each. I've seen a lot of under-the-hood pics of Supras w/ dual air filters, which would obviously be a true twin-turbo setup. There's a video of a Supra w/ twin Guilly T04s, it says "this is what 1000hp sounds like" at the beginning. So w/ a stock Supra TT, there's only one intake track...and two turbos in line, never knew that. That's pretty much how pull-modded diesels run, when they run twins they run them sequentially. U might see (but very rarely) a diesel w/ 3 turbos in line...usually there's no room for that tho. One of my buddies called me one night and told me to come down to this place, a guy had a Dodge pushing 220psi...nuts. Talk about a custom boost gauge. I know on VR-4s and StealthTTs, it's twin-turbo'd, but a single unit. So basically u have two turbos w/ the exhaust housings lined up next to each other, compressor housings on the outside, and both run on the same shaft. So if one blows out...they're both out.

As far as finding a MKIV TT 6-speed, I dunno if I can find one for the price I'm searching for. There's one in AZ that's priced at $14K, but I'm thinkin' this one is a scam as well. The guy's rushing me on a deposit just like the other one, asked the EXACT same deposit amount, and the car is a beauty, has 525rwhp, but for $14K? Also, I ran a google search on his mods list, this Supra came up...everything, cosmetics, body, engine work, it's all the same. http://www.payntechnologies.com/cars/alexeipiljan.html The car is supposedly being sold from AZ, but the tuning shop that displayed it is in Troy, MI. And when I asked the seller where he did the tuning, he didn't answer. Fishy? Yep.

The car I'm selling is a '97 850 R...$6K in the tranny, $6K in the sound, $2K in the suspension, $2K in wheels and tires, $1K in exterior/interior cosmetics, $500 in brake upgrades, $1,600 for the K40 Radar/laser system, $4K in engine work, intake, exhaust, turbo, chip, MBC, BOV, blanking plate, RIP kit. So it's got over $20K put into it, and it's in beautiful shape. KBB is $10,295, but w/ $20,000+ in it, I should at least get $10,500, possibly up to $12K. The previous owner said he'd buy it back, but he's not giving me a lot of feedback on it. So I'm gonna finish up a few things, get the bigger turbo on, finish up the side exhaust, get my new front sway bar w/ droplinks, new strut mounts and springs seats, and about 20 hours worth of detailing and put it on the net for sale. 850 Rs are extremely rare...'95 was the T-5R, '96-97 was split into the T-5 and R...each year only 2,000 were shipped to the U.S. No 5-spds, all automatics (b/c Volvo is gay). 5-spds w/ LSD were sent to Canada (Euro specs), but there were less than 50 total shipped to Canada. M59 swap is close to $5K w/ labor, and it's straight bolt up. So...not gonna do that. I'll get what I can outta' the car, and if I can't find a MKIV SupraTT 6-speed in good condition for $15K or less, I'll just get an LS1 WS6 and cam it...400rwhp and I'm done. I'd still rather have the Supra tho, or I might look at some '93-95 RX-7s...twin turbos of course.

edit: I should probably change the thread title to "NOT getting a Supra." I'm guessing I won't find a MKIV twin-turbo 6-speed w/ a targa top for less than $20K...am I right by saying that?

Last edited by iwantasupra; 10-13-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:25 PM   #17
SupraMan1784
SP58GT

haha yea ur probably right....damn u found the word i was lookin for "sequential" haha i was tryin to find that word in my limited vocabulary, but yea they were twin sequential turbos from teh factory, which is pretty nice, damn 220psi...my friend's dad hooks up audi's hes got an audi 200s quattro and he fiddled with the wastegate, at wide open throttle he gets 45psi...and that thing makes boost like crazy...he made the wastegate spring a little stiffer.. its a fast car makes like 379whp...insane, yea and if im not mistaken the 300zx is not sequential twin turbo...theyre identical turbos that boost at the same time...haha im soo sorry bro.. for under 20k...u aint gettin an mk4 unless its damaged, those parts and tuning....will cost more than 20k..easily..hahaha dont mess with these guys...if he dint close the autotrader link...then i would go take a look, but kind of the same idea..once someone sparked interested they would remove the listing, and ask for the deposit immediately...i think he asked for like 2g's from me before i asked him if he was scamming me...also if they keep sending u similar emails u know its a scam...just bust his ass...ask for more pictures..ask for pictures no one would normally take...like inside the glove compartment...or the undercarriage, if its legit then u will get pics of them

Old 10-13-2005, 09:54 PM   #18
iwantasupra
Stock

Yeah, u're right...what I should do, is have them get a pic taken w/ the seller in the car, and one standing next to it...close enough to identify them. Then have them take a pic of two photo IDs and send them all to me. That'd be the way to do it. But yeah, 45psi...only 379rwhp? I have trouble believing that. It must be a really little turbo and heat soak like a mofo. And w/ that, it wouldn't surprise me if the head warped w/ boost running that high of a temperature. My stock turbo pushes 10.9psi stock, but u can push it to 16-17psi. After that, it heat soaks so bad b/c of its small size that anything over 17psi, u actually lose power. A fully functional one could push 30-45psi, but it'd melt the head in a heartbeat. Bigger turbo + lower boost = more power that's safer for ur engine. I've got a slightly bigger one on the way, and it's getting chipped for 17psi. W/ intake and exhaust, that should push well over 300bhp. Loses a lot to the front wheels tho thru the automatic. The 300ZX is a true twin turbo I'm pretty sure. Sequentially set up turbos are fairly new...but if u think about it, the Supra was very sophisticated for its year. 1993...6-speed. Can't think off the top of my head any other cars that had 6-speeds that early on. Well, I think the Fairlady Zs had 6-speeds, and possibly Corvettes, although I don't think so. And to build a straight 6 w/ 3.0 liters of displacement in 1993 that can hold up to 1000bhp on stock internals...amazing. That's...333bhp per liter. Stock turbos can push around 550-600bhp...I mean the Supra's a pretty amazing car. They didn't name it Supra for nothing. But for my budget...I mean, I'm 19 years old, so...I'm still in school and so forth. But my dad really likes the E36 M3s and '93-95 RX-7s, so he'd be willing to look into those, even if they cost more than what I get for mine. If I get the E36, it's 5-speed, got wheels and suspension, and 2-door. And I'll eventually turbo it. RX-7...TT 5-speed. All I'd really do is intake and exhaust and suspension. I wonder how much power the Wankels can handle stock? A guy I know that works at Volvo of Louisville used to have a T88 RX-7 w/ around 650rwhp. It was a beast. And his wife had a Monster Miata w/ a 302 putting down 500rwhp. That's less than 5 pounds per horsepower.

Last edited by iwantasupra; 10-13-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:07 PM   #19
SupraMan1784
SP58GT

that audi 200s quattro was a sleeper it...had a big turbo quiet wastegate and quiet blow off valve..moderate suspension setup..i think bilstein if im not mistaken, had a european racing cooling system, but the only thing holding it down was teh ecu...car was never tuned tahts why it was soo little, the stock ecu made up for it by dumping fuel into teh combustion chambers therefore teh car....bogged a lot of the time...they havent gotten around to tuning it yet..but once that happens that thing is gonna be a beats...and the 300zx was 5 spd...dont worry bout age and skool...im only 20 and im also still in skool...and working, im not much older than you are, as for wankels... all i gotta say is they get all their power top end...tehres no bottom end what so ever...and even my friend who drives a 95 rx7 tells me that... its hard to lower the powerband into the lower rpms...but he still loves the car, got another friend who drives a 90 rx7 the fc...he says the same thing...but his isnt turbo...hes getting one custom made...m3 are a little on the heavy side...though its a pimp car id have to admit, i like a balance between power and suspension...i like balance...my cars arent straight line cars..i make sure my supra can drift and run a road course and still be able to race some fools on teh highway...balance...my car can do anything...and haha dont worry about parents...they got pissed when i bought this cause i told them i was gonna get a nice safe camry....not a pretty sight...

Old 10-14-2005, 02:09 PM   #20
SupraMan1784
SP58GT

ohh but i also gotta add...wut about insurance? the insurance for an mk4 is pretty high for one year...think 5-6 grand...dont remember wut they wanted.. its teh same for the rx7 as well as teh m3...but not sure if its that high...plus...you are a male teenage driver...they'll bust your ass for that