Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 12-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Angelortiz
Stock

Angelortiz is on a distinguished road
Default Need 800 HP!

ok, i own a 1997 limited edition toyota supra with after market products. it has a 2jzgte Twin turbo engine, modified to big single turbo A/R 70 garret turbo, Greddy management system and stock intercooler (wanted to keep my a/c lol) its making about 500hp as is. my goal is to get it to 800 hp and needless to say i need help i dont know what to do i figure i need a bigger turbo and fuel injectirs, Big intercooler and better management system, idk what brand to get or what else to add could somone help me out?
Angelortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelortiz View Post
ok, i own a 1997 limited edition toyota supra with after market products. it has a 2jzgte Twin turbo engine, modified to big single turbo A/R 70 garret turbo, Greddy management system and stock intercooler (wanted to keep my a/c lol) its making about 500hp as is. my goal is to get it to 800 hp and needless to say i need help i dont know what to do i figure i need a bigger turbo and fuel injectirs, Big intercooler and better management system, idk what brand to get or what else to add could somone help me out?
First and foremost, who told you that you need to get rid of your a/c if you get an aftermarket front-mount intercooler? I'm serious - let me know so I can ... properly educate them about the evils of spreading misinformation.

Now, down to business:
  1. Was your Supra originally a TT? I'm pretty sure the "Limited Edition"s were all TT's, but please confirm.
  2. 6spd or auto?
  3. The a/r of the turbo isn't anywhere as important as its inducer measurement. Are you sure it's 70 a/r and not 70mm? This is the first time I've heard someone spec a turbo by only quoting the a/r.
  4. What kind of fuel are you running? The biggest turbo, injectors and intercooler, with the fanciest engine management system will all do you absolutely no good whatsoever if you're running them on pump gas and low boost.
  5. When you say "800hp", you know that means 800hp at the crank, right? In other words, your rwhp will be significantly less than that due to drive line losses.
  6. Most importantly, what is your application? Roadracing (i.e. what the Mkiv Supra TT was designed to do)? Drifting? Autocross? Heaven-forbid: drag racing? High speed runs? Daily driver? Show car? Immediate resale? Chick magnet? etc.
We can get you to 800hp, with no issue whatsoever. Reliably, too. I can even guarantee it. But you have to be prepared to follow our advice, including what fuel to run. Agreed?

Last but not least, I need to keep you safe too. Please be prepared to invest in things like wider rims, better brakes, traction control, and possibly a clutch-type LSD, so that 800hp doesn't throw you into a tree or oncoming traffic. These investments will also help you put the power to the ground, instead of sitting there spinning (unless all you want to do is win burnout competitions). Make sense?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-15-2012 at 08:21 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Angelortiz
Stock

Angelortiz is on a distinguished road

from where ive asked everyone says the ac most likely has to be removed but then again everyone is to shoked about seeying a supra around here in the firstplace.

1: Yeah originally a TT swapped out to single.
2:auto
3: im not entirely sure i know it says garret ar 70 i can post a picture.
4:im running the highest fuel you can purchase in california at any local gas station racing fuel is not sold anywhere near here that i know.
5:yes i understand i want atleast 750rwhp
6:Well i want it for looks and to be fast i currently removed the back seat and installed 4 15" subwoofers, and a wide gt bodykit and wide deepdish rims. alsom i want no rubber tubbing i want all possibly polished finishing.

Agreed, i dont want to start my own trend as far as adding stuff to a supra that has not been approved nd tested on other supras i rather put domething that has worked for other supras

Yes i understand, i belive the previous owner put upgraded break pads i can post pics aswell and thank you for your safety concern.
Angelortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
from where ive asked everyone says the ac most likely has to be removed but then again everyone is to shoked about seeying a supra around here in the firstplace...
Well, "everyone" is wrong. In fact...regardless of how well you know these guys, I'm going to ask you to keep them completely out of the picture while we do your upgrades. Ask yourself this - will any one of them guarantee you'll be as safe as you can be in a fast car and you won't blow up your engine if you follow their advice. I'm talking a rock-solid guarantee. Didn't think so. They are dead wrong about the a/c+intercooler, so let's not risk their bad advice in any other part of the build. I'm sure they're good guys and well-intentioned, but they're definitely not qualified to help you build your Supra.
Quote:
...3: im not entirely sure i know it says garret ar 70 i can post a picture...
I'm going to have to ask you to do more than post a picture. You either have to get the exact specs from the fellow that sold you the car (or the turbo)....OR... you have to get a good caliper, remove the turbo's intake housing (I can tell you how if you don't know), and take the turbo's inducer measurement.
Quote:
......4:im running the highest fuel you can purchase in california at any local gas station racing fuel is not sold anywhere near here that i know...
Okay, this is a MAJOR, MAJOR, MAJOR problem. I can't stress this enough. Your Supra has a very small displacement three-liter engine called a 2jz-gte. That's only 183 Cubic Inches. It's an incredibly strong three liter engine, but it can't work miracles. The only way to get the truly-legendary power the 2jz-gte is capable of is to run high boost and high octane fuel. If this is a deal-breaker for you, then we need to stop right here. Let me know if you just want it to look nice, and make a very modest amount of power...or if you want to sell the car. If not, let me know you're ready to do something to boost the octane of California's pitiful 91 "premium" fuel.
Quote:
...2:auto...
5:yes i understand i want atleast 750rwhp...
Okay, now I'm confused. The drive line loss through an auto transmission is quite high - around 25%-30%. The only way you can get 750rwhp through an auto is to put down about 1000hp at the crank. In other words "800hp" is not "750rwhp". Among other things, this is very expensive. Are you 100% sure 700rwhp through an auto transmission is what you want? I don't mind spec'ing out this build for you, but the modifications will be extensive.
Quote:
...6:Well i want it for looks and to be fast i currently removed the back seat and installed 4 15" subwoofers, and a wide gt bodykit and wide deepdish rims. alsom i want no rubber tubbing i want all possibly polished finishing...
I don't know what you mean by "rubber tubbing". Of course, I've heard of a car getting "tubbed out"...but they don't use any rubber for that modification (except the tires themselves).

Most of your other modifications ... among other things ... have added weight to the car. The additional weight actually hurts its performance (in other words, it won't be as fast). For example, could you quickly/easily remove the subs if you want to take your Supra racing?
Quote:
...Agreed, i dont want to start my own trend as far as adding stuff to a supra that has not been approved nd tested on other supras i rather put domething that has worked for other supras

Yes i understand, i belive the previous owner put upgraded break pads i can post pics aswell and thank you for your safety concern.
When I say modified brakes, we may need to do a lot more than new pads. When I say modified brakes, I'm talking about a whole new set of aftermarket calipers and rotors. However, we haven't come up with our final mod list yet, so this may not be necessary.

Lastly, I need more info about what you mean when you say "I want it to be fast". You have to be MUCH more specific, because the word "fast" can mean so many different things to different people. Do you mean fast around a corner? Do you mean fast as in top speed? Do you mean fast around a roadrace track? Do you mean fast from a dead stop? Do you mean fast from a rolling start? I need to know exactly how you want to drive it after it's been modified.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote