Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
2jzPower
Stock

2jzPower is on a distinguished road
Default Traction control removal

I have a Japanese import 94 model MIV and after some research I've found that on the US models you can remove a fuse for the traction control and speed limiter, does the same apply for the Japanese models and are there any negative effects to doing this?
All info is much appreciated.
Simon
2jzPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzPower View Post
I have a Japanese import 94 model MIV and after some research I've found that on the US models you can remove a fuse for the traction control and speed limiter, does the same apply for the Japanese models and are there any negative effects to doing this?
All info is much appreciated.
Simon
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/techo.htm#SPEED_LIMITER

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
2jzPower
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post

Wow thats awesome! there is so much information there and it answers alot more questions i have too.
Thank you very much!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you want to go over 180km and where? Do that in America and you will be doing time in the county extra long stay hotel. Unless on a track it is very dangerous as well. Other traffic has about zero time to see you. A motorcycle was doing well over 100 in Tulsa at night. A SUV turned in front of him, never saw him. Do the math kids. The motorcycle went splat against the SUV killing a women inside. Now think about doing 150 down the interstate and someone pulls into your lane.

So why do you need to go so fast?
Old 07-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranma View Post
Why do you want to go over 180km and where? Do that in America and you will be doing time in the county extra long stay hotel. Unless on a track it is very dangerous as well. Other traffic has about zero time to see you. A motorcycle was doing well over 100 in Tulsa at night. A SUV turned in front of him, never saw him. Do the math kids. The motorcycle went splat against the SUV killing a women inside. Now think about doing 150 down the interstate and someone pulls into your lane.

Agreed. 2jzPower, please utilize this modification only for off-road/track use. While driving on public roads, always obey all traffic laws (regardless of electrical or mechanical speed limiting devices). Also, be Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, and Clean whenever possible. All of this probably goes without saying, but it never hurts to have a reminder every so often.

Imho, 179 km/h isn't much less risky than 181 km/h. As you may know, the US-spec models limit speed to 155mph. The motorcycle accident in Tulsa is very tragic, but could have taken place at less than 180 km/h (112 mph), especially on possibly-wet or sand/gravel covered pavement...and could definitely taken place at less than 155mph. To me, an electronic speed limiter (or lack thereof) is no substitute for common sense.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-16-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Ranma
12psi boost

Ranma is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Suppose you are trying to be funny

Am still undoing what the brat did to my Supra. He had put fancy accelerator, brake and clutch pedals into the car. He just placed them on top drilling though the old and attaching. I was wondering why the pedal was getting stuck, dame baka okama!

Really, I want to know like where can a person drive 160 miles per hour in the USA besides a track? Oh beware of the Japanese spec cars, they do not meet US safety standards and in very real ways not Bravo Sierra.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...Really, I want to know like where can a person drive 160 miles per hour in the USA besides a track?
That has nothing to do with my point. What "I want to know" is if 154mph is really that much safer than 156mph. If not, then why is bypassing the speed limiter all that relevant either way? Common sense and solid defensive driving skills should be what keeps motorcycles from smashing into SUVs, and not electronic speed limiters (or lack thereof). This is a serious point; I'm not trying to be funny at all.

Also, note that Simon/2jzPower never said he'd be using the limiter bypass on the street.

Quote:
...Oh beware of the Japanese spec cars, they do not meet US safety standards and in very real ways not Bravo Sierra.
Please tell us more.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Lastly, please note that not all modifications posted online are safety issues.

Some of the modifications detailed by our Supra community are to correct factory issues (ones that *should* have warranted a recall instead of a superceeded replacement part in the catalog). For example:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/hat...tle/index.html

Some of them help owners fix common maintenance issues:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/fai...fix/index.html
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/fro...ise/index.html
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/tar...tle/index.html
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/p/w/pwpanas...ra%20Turbo.htm
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/spark_plugs/index.html
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/par...ess/index.html
etc.

Sorry to hear "the brat" messed up your Supra's pedals.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-20-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
2jzPower
Stock

Quote:

I can understand your concern, but the Post title was "Traction control removal" Its just that the research i was doing led me to believe that they are connected. But yes i do want the speed limiter removed too, I dont know about America but in Australia there is plenty of tracks you can just pay a bit of money and you can race all day, with lap times and paramedics on site. Not for driving on public roads.

Simon