Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
98supraVVTI
Stock

98supraVVTI is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Vvti 2jzgte?

Hi I am new to this forum. I'm 13 years of age but I already have a savings account going to my future supra. What is you're opinions on the VVTI 2JZGTE? I want a engine powerful enough to blow away my dads 06 mustang and my brothers 98 camaro, but at the cheapest price.
98supraVVTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98supraVVTI View Post
Hi I am new to this forum. I'm 13 years of age but I already have a savings account going to my future supra. What is you're opinions on the VVTI 2JZGTE? I want a engine powerful enough to blow away my dads 06 mustang and my brothers 98 camaro, but at the cheapest price.
It's a bit tougher to tune than the non-VVTi 2jz-gte, but still a great engine. The non-VVTi 2jz-gte will be more than sufficient to blow away your family's other performance cars, but note that the Supra is NOT the cheapest platform to build a 1/4 mile drag car. There's nothing (in the USA) that will be a rustang for an 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile dollar for dollar. However, in a roadrace or a highway race from a rolling start (eg. 40mph), with a skilled driver and race fuel, the Mkiv Supra Turbo will compete favorably dollar-for-dollar. When you say "blow away", exactly what type of race did you have in mind? Drifting? Autocross? Top speed? etc.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-12-2012 at 09:04 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
Bubba's_Bra
Stock

Bubba's_Bra is on a distinguished road
Default I'm Looking to buy a Supra

Hi,

I just joined the forum and always wanted a Supra since Gran Turismo 1 came out as they were always rare cars to see in Canada. I am now 24 and have the money to buy one, while working in the UK. I found some 1997 VVT-i models and non VVT-i models that are both the RZ spec. I like both platforms and know the basic differences, such as torque, fuel efficiency @ 280hp rather than @320hp, speed limiters, etc. I need to get more info if getting a tiptronic is a good idea for the cheaper price and daily practicality of learning to drive on the other side in a new country. I still have the urge to grab the 6-speed Getrag manual and call it done, "getting the best of the best" and only worrying about replacing a clutch in the future. I never owned a manual but know how to drive manual in a car and motorcycle, since I drove mainly V8 trucks and luxury cars growing up. Any advise is helpful advice. Looking to buy next week, if someone has any tips and can reply before then. Thanks.
Bubba's_Bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba's_Bra View Post
Hi,

I just joined the forum and always wanted a Supra since Gran Turismo 1 came out as they were always rare cars to see in Canada. I am now 24 and have the money to buy one, while working in the UK. I found some 1997 VVT-i models and non VVT-i models that are both the RZ spec. I like both platforms and know the basic differences, such as torque, fuel efficiency @ 280hp rather than @320hp, speed limiters, etc. I need to get more info if getting a tiptronic is a good idea for the cheaper price and daily practicality of learning to drive on the other side in a new country. I still have the urge to grab the 6-speed Getrag manual and call it done, "getting the best of the best" and only worrying about replacing a clutch in the future. I never owned a manual but know how to drive manual in a car and motorcycle, since I drove mainly V8 trucks and luxury cars growing up. Any advise is helpful advice. Looking to buy next week, if someone has any tips and can reply before then. Thanks.
Congratulations on getting yourself to being able to purchase a Supra!

Interesting. The VVTi TT (RZ) wasn't sold in the US - ever...even though the Mkiv TT was sold through '98. I had always assumed the TT VVTi was only available '99 and later. Also, an Mkiv TT with a tiptronic transmission was never sold in the US (only 6spd or auto).

In fact, bone stock or 'bpu', the auto is (slightly) faster in the 1/4 than the 6spd. The 6spd is far better for roadracing. Depends what you want to do with it.

Replacing the clutch isn't too hard. It can be done in less than 4 hours with two guys and a lift. If you have to do it on jackstands all by yourself, it's probably a 6 to 8 hour job. I've done it myself, several times, so please let me know if you have any specific questions.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-25-2012 at 11:31 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Bubba's_Bra
Stock

Bubba's_Bra is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice.

I'll keep an eye on the personal preference issue, but either way I can't really go wrong...it's a Toyota for one and Supra. It may not be my last if I get a tiptronic and will be around Ariel Atoms @ work.

For the kid that is 13, keep optimistic - study hard and work hard like I did and for sure you'll get your own someday. I was just about 10 when I knew mentally thats the car for me, not crazy Ferraris or Lambos that come and go, or depreciate severely and need expensive serving.
Bubba's_Bra is offline   Reply With Quote