Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 10-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #1
Nelsonrh
Stock

Nelsonrh is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1993/1994 supra not starting

Got a 1993 (some of the parts say 1994). Got it to turn on about 3 times, then all of a sudden nothing. It won't turn on, won't start at all & I'm not getting any spark. I have replaced the igniter, coil, ECM, distributor/cps.
Have solid grounds, and a good battery. Pushing 11.8 volts.
Not getting any signal to the injectors, but the fuel pump is operating. It is a NA-T build but no aftermarket electronics added.
Haven't done anything to the electrical since it started, other than replace everything that I can think of related to ignition. Next to the coil passenger side is a electrical part that is light grey with wires going in but not coming out. Just has a black glue looking stuff in the bottom of it, I don't know what it is! Any help would be awesome!!! Been at this all day & can't think what else I could possibly do!
Thanks
Ray

Last edited by Nelsonrh; 10-04-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Nelsonrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

87hilux7mge is on a distinguished road

if you could post a picture of the part that would help.

11.8 volts is pretty low as far as a battery is concerned. fully charged is 12.7 volts.

i would suggest you go get your battery load tested (sears auto center will charge and load test your battery for free, takes up to two days due to charging)

i dont think that is the root of your problem tho. have you checked for spark at the coils themselves? and if your injectors arent getting signal, it could be the injector resistor, that may be the grey box your seeing.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
Nelsonrh
Stock

Thanks for the reply lux. That plug/sensor/??? appears, per this forum, to be a "noise filter". It is next to all supra coil OR igniter brackets. Must be why I have read alot about tools to be used to assist with hearing sounds in the electrical system on these cars.

As far as battery, started around 12.2v and died away as we worked it. My wife posted the previous and may be complicated so here is a quick run down. I have down all I can as far as searching for this issue.
So it is known, it is a NA Supra with a T61 setup. Im running no add ons yet and stock everything. I have one coil to the dizzy per all/most NA 93+ Supras. It is 2JZGE equipped with the 5spd manual trans.

NEW...
coil, igniter, CPS/distributor, knock sensors, ECM/ECU.

CHECKED...
Fuses, IGN relay gets hot, pump primes and car smells of fuel.
Jumped TE1 with E1 and got no lights/flashes/blinks or nothing.
Plenty of gleam from the light tester at B+ in diagnostics box.

HAVENT CHECKED...
Well, I think I have checked it all lol.

Things worth knowing...
Plugs power wire gets 11+ volts in blk/org wire, nothing ever in the signal wire.
Coil blk/red wire gets 11+ volts and blk/org also gets 11+ volts with key on.
Distributor/CPS, in order from top to bottom gets...
blk=2xx oohms
red=186 ohms
white=186 ohms
green=??? (dont know what it should be as it doesnt register on the reader)
Old 10-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonrh View Post
Thanks for the reply lux. That plug/sensor/??? appears, per this forum, to be a "noise filter". It is next to all supra coil OR igniter brackets. Must be why I have read alot about tools to be used to assist with hearing sounds in the electrical system on these cars.

As far as battery, started around 12.2v and died away as we worked it. My wife posted the previous and may be complicated so here is a quick run down. I have down all I can as far as searching for this issue.
So it is known, it is a NA Supra with a T61 setup. Im running no add ons yet and stock everything. I have one coil to the dizzy per all/most NA 93+ Supras. It is 2JZGE equipped with the 5spd manual trans.

NEW...
coil, igniter, CPS/distributor, knock sensors, ECM/ECU.

CHECKED...
Fuses, IGN relay gets hot, pump primes and car smells of fuel.
Jumped TE1 with E1 and got no lights/flashes/blinks or nothing.
Plenty of gleam from the light tester at B+ in diagnostics box.

HAVENT CHECKED...
Well, I think I have checked it all lol.

Things worth knowing...
Plugs power wire gets 11+ volts in blk/org wire, nothing ever in the signal wire.
Coil blk/red wire gets 11+ volts and blk/org also gets 11+ volts with key on.
Distributor/CPS, in order from top to bottom gets...
blk=2xx oohms
red=186 ohms
white=186 ohms
green=??? (dont know what it should be as it doesnt register on the reader)
Perhaps a silly question, but have you worked through the troubleshooting steps in your TSRM?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:49 AM   #5
Nelsonrh
Stock

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Perhaps a silly question, but have you worked through the troubleshooting steps in your TSRM?
as much as I could, i've got an electrical guru coming to check it out, just wondering if anyone else had any input.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
as much as I could, i've got an electrical guru coming to check it out, just wondering if anyone else had any input.
Have you checked the ignition signals coming out of your distributor cap, while someone is turning it over (i.e. trying to start it)?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
Nelsonrh
Stock

If checking signal from the coil by testing the two wires output... yes. I dont know what the reading should be however. If testing it by means of putting a screwdriver in my mouth and turning the key... well I have done that too lol. I have tried 3 known working coils, 3 working igniters, 2 working CPS/distributors, 2 working ECM/ECU and even two different batteries. I have jumper cables from the neg terminal to two different points on the chassis and the motor so it is not a ground.
Only thing I have not tried is testing the ignition switch itself???

I dont have the manual, but ordered one as we are all aware they are not readily available anywhere.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:47 AM   #8
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

87hilux7mge is on a distinguished road

never heard of an electronic "noise filter"....hmm anway. sounds like bad wiring, possibly at the cps or distributor connectors?
Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
If checking signal from the coil by testing the two wires output... yes. I dont know what the reading should be however. If testing it by means of putting a screwdriver in my mouth and turning the key... well I have done that too lol. I have tried 3 known working coils, 3 working igniters, 2 working CPS/distributors, 2 working ECM/ECU and even two different batteries. I have jumper cables from the neg terminal to two different points on the chassis and the motor so it is not a ground.
Only thing I have not tried is testing the ignition switch itself???

I dont have the manual, but ordered one as we are all aware they are not readily available anywhere.
No, that's not what I meant. When I said "ignition signals coming out of the distributor cap", I did not mean checking the constant signals out of the coil. In other words, I want to find out if your plug wires are bad - if your coil is working, perhaps the signal is not getting from the distributor cap to the spark plug?

Oh, and the TSRM Engine manual actually is available 'everywhere', since most towns have a Toyota dealership. Here are the part numbers for your car:

00400-RM343-U1 VOL 1 REPAIR (Engine)
00400-RM343-U2 VOL 2 REPAIR (Chassis)
00400-RM347 ATM OVERHAUL
00400-WD174 COLOR WIRE DIAGRAMS
00400-14500 OWNERS MANUEL

00400-RM359-U1 VOL 1 REPAIR (Engine)
00400-RM359-U2 VOL 2 REPAIR (Chassis)
00400-RM391 ATM OVERHAUL
00400-WD182 COLOR WIRE DIAGRAMS
00400-14507 OWNERS MANUEL

This link may also help:
http://www.turbosupras.com/pdfs/JZA8...20(2JZ-GE).pdf

Last edited by pwpanas; 10-06-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 AM   #10
Nelsonrh
Stock

Talking

$300 later it was the coil wire!!

Thanks for all your help/input!!
you are a GENIUS!!!