Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
RSDXzec
Stock

RSDXzec is on a distinguished road
Default RPM to shift

Hey guys, I am currently on L's and I learnt to shift at about 2500 or 3000 RPM. Almost up to my P plates and will own a supra soon. I'd like to know at how many RPM's most people tend to shift up. Since I check videos of people reaching 100kph in 2nd gear, because they shift at 6000RPM. But what I found really intriguing was that also cars which were said to be automatics were shifting at 6000RPM. So I'd like to know if this car is made to be shifted alot higher, the car I've been driving is a 2002 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L so its obviously not made to handle as much as a supra would.

Cheers guys.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSDXzec View Post
Hey guys, I am currently on L's and I learnt to shift at about 2500 or 3000 RPM. Almost up to my P plates and will own a supra soon. I'd like to know at how many RPM's most people tend to shift up. Since I check videos of people reaching 100kph in 2nd gear, because they shift at 6000RPM. But what I found really intriguing was that also cars which were said to be automatics were shifting at 6000RPM. So I'd like to know if this car is made to be shifted alot higher, the car I've been driving is a 2002 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L so its obviously not made to handle as much as a supra would.

Cheers guys.
At any given speed, you always want to be in the gear with the highest horsepower. Therefore, the correct shift points are different for each gear, because they depend on each gear's ratio and your engine's torque curve:
http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/whentoshift.htm

Here's are the optimal shift points for a bpu++ Mkiv Supra TT, as calculated by the great Andy Baritchi (legendary Supra owner, and road racer extraordiaire):
http://www.boostaholic.com/supra/shiftpoints.html

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-16-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
deigima
Stock

deigima is on a distinguished road

i think he might be refferring to theshifting points for just cruising around. when your driving a car hard, you shift at higher revs to use as much of the power as you can, but to shift at 6grand while just driving to the shops, isnt going to do good for any engine in the long run.
in my opinion, for cruising 3grand shifts should be fine, it doesnt hurt the car to drive it like that.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
winnas13
Stock

winnas13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deigima View Post
i think he might be refferring to theshifting points for just cruising around. when your driving a car hard, you shift at higher revs to use as much of the power as you can, but to shift at 6grand while just driving to the shops, isnt going to do good for any engine in the long run.
in my opinion, for cruising 3grand shifts should be fine, it doesnt hurt the car to drive it like that.
3 grand shifts feels good for every day driving =)
Old 09-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
1) It's an Mkiv Supra Turbo. If you maintain it and shift it properly, it's built to handle high performance driving. That's what makes the car so special!
2) Anything other than the shift points I posted is just half-@ssed semi-perrformance screwing around. Don't ask a serious question if that's all you want to do.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
winnas13
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
1) It's an Mkiv Supra Turbo. If you maintain it and shift it properly, it's built to handle high performance driving. That's what makes the car so special!
2) Anything other than the shift points I posted is just half-@ssed semi-perrformance screwing around. Don't ask a serious question if that's all you want to do.
Agreed, but at the same time he's just about to get his P's and lets be honest, who drives down to the movie store or the shops shifting at 6800 rpm?? You'd be constantly getting speeding tickets and it's hard to get much speed up around the suburbs anyway.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
deigima
Stock

deigima is on a distinguished road

plus, hooning around costs more at the pump
Old 09-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnas13 View Post
3 grand shifts feels good for every day driving =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnas13 View Post
Agreed, but at the same time he's just about to get his P's and lets be honest, who drives down to the movie store or the shops shifting at 6800 rpm?? You'd be constantly getting speeding tickets and it's hard to get much speed up around the suburbs anyway.
winnas13, you're totally missing the point, because you didn't read the full question. You seem to have missed the part where RSDXzec asked (in fact this was the ONLY question in his post): "So I'd like to know if this car is made to be shifted alot higher." The answer YES. No ifs, ands or buts.

PLEASE do not forget, this is a "Performance, Modification and Mantenance Forum". It's not a how-should-I-drive-to-get-to-my-grandma's-house forum.

winnas13, if you want to ask when to shift an Mkiv Supra Turbo when you're driving to the movie, the answer to that question is that it really doesn't matter at all (anything over about 1500 rpm should keep you from stalling it). If you want to ask "how should I shift to avoid speeding tickets", the answer is: any low rpm that allows quiet, smooth shifts so you don't attract any 'official' attention. In return though, I'd have to ask you why on earth would those answers would be of any interest to anyone reading this "Performance, Modification and Mantenance Forum" forum?

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-19-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 AM   #9
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
plus, hooning around costs more at the pump
deigima, you missed the point too. RSDXzec's question was NOT "what shift points should I use to save the most gas". Right???

Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #10
winnas13
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
winnas13, you're totally missing the point, because you didn't read the full question. You seem to have missed the part where RSDXzec asked (in fact this was the ONLY question in his post): "So I'd like to know if this car is made to be shifted alot higher." The answer YES. No ifs, ands or buts.

PLEASE do not forget, this is a "Performance, Modification and Mantenance Forum". It's not a how-should-I-drive-to-get-to-my-grandma's-house forum.

winnas13, if you want to ask when to shift an Mkiv Supra Turbo when you're driving to the movie, the answer to that question is that it really doesn't matter at all (anything over about 1500 rpm should keep you from stalling it). If you want to ask "how should I shift to avoid speeding tickets", the answer is: any low rpm that allows quiet, smooth shifts so you don't attract any 'official' attention. In return though, I'd have to ask you why on earth would those answers would be of any interest to anyone reading this "Performance, Modification and Mantenance Forum" forum?
Fair point mate
Closed Thread