Thread: RPM to shift
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSDXzec View Post
Hey guys, I am currently on L's and I learnt to shift at about 2500 or 3000 RPM. Almost up to my P plates and will own a supra soon. I'd like to know at how many RPM's most people tend to shift up. Since I check videos of people reaching 100kph in 2nd gear, because they shift at 6000RPM. But what I found really intriguing was that also cars which were said to be automatics were shifting at 6000RPM. So I'd like to know if this car is made to be shifted alot higher, the car I've been driving is a 2002 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L so its obviously not made to handle as much as a supra would.

Cheers guys.
At any given speed, you always want to be in the gear with the highest horsepower. Therefore, the correct shift points are different for each gear, because they depend on each gear's ratio and your engine's torque curve:
http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/whentoshift.htm

Here's are the optimal shift points for a bpu++ Mkiv Supra TT, as calculated by the great Andy Baritchi (legendary Supra owner, and road racer extraordiaire):
http://www.boostaholic.com/supra/shiftpoints.html

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-16-2011 at 10:37 AM.