Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 08-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
winnas13
Stock

winnas13 is on a distinguished road
Default Noise from the rear end? possibly a wheel??

Hey guys, so when i drive my supra i get this weird noise from the back of the car,

its sorta like the noise you'd expect from a warped disc or something... like a rrra rra rra rra rra noise. Gets quicker the quicker i go. Also when i turn the wheel even a tiny bit to the right it goes away completely, when the wheel is straight and turning left its happening. I went for a drive on the freeway so 110+ km/h speeds and long right hand sweeping corners the noise goes away.

I think it's a wheel issue, like something scraping every time the wheel goes around, or maybe a bearing?

let me know if you need any more info.

It's starting to get louder the more i drive so want to get it fixed! thanks guys.

Last edited by winnas13; 08-27-2011 at 11:34 AM.
winnas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnas13 View Post
Hey guys, so when i drive my supra i get this weird noise from the back of the car,

its sorta like the noise you'd expect from a warped disc or something... like a rrra rra rra rra rra noise. Gets quicker the quicker i go. Also when i turn the wheel even a tiny bit to the right it goes away completely, when the wheel is straight and turning left its happening. I went for a drive on the freeway so 110+ km/h speeds and long right hand sweeping corners the noise goes away.

I think it's a wheel issue, like something scraping every time the wheel goes around, or maybe a bearing?

let me know if you need any more info.

It's starting to get louder the more i drive so want to get it fixed! thanks guys.
If you've got aftermarket (wide) rear rims, and/or your Supra has been extensively roadraced, it's likely a rear wheel bearing.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
Sonyps307
Lexus & 550's

Sonyps307 is on a distinguished road

It's a wheel bearing. my brothers mustang was doing the same thing.
Sonyps307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
winnas13
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
If you've got aftermarket (wide) rear rims, and/or your Supra has been extensively roadraced, it's likely a rear wheel bearing.
I think you're right. I hope the supra hasn't been road raced! The wheels are pretty wide though at the rear - Khumo tyres 265/35Z R18 97Y XL (that means nothing to me)

Is a wheel bearing expensive to be replaced/fixed?

Last edited by winnas13; 08-28-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I think you're right. I hope the supra hasn't been road raced! The wheels are pretty wide though at the rear - Khumo tyres 265/35Z R18 97Y XL (that means nothing to me)

Is a wheel bearing expensive to be replaced/fixed?
Unfortunately, yes. Typically, the hub is removed, the bearing is pressed out, the new one is pressed in, the hub is reinstalled, and then you need a new rear alignment. Not a trivial task.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
winnas13
Stock

Quote:
Unfortunately, yes. Typically, the hub is removed, the bearing is pressed out, the new one is pressed in, the hub is reinstalled, and then you need a new rear alignment. Not a trivial task.
Mechanic came over today. It appears that you can move the whole wheel (side to side) like the hub is loose. We took the wheel off and put a washer behind the wheel nut which wasn't very tight (was as tight as could go) It was almost like there wasn't any thread left to tighten on.

Anyway it didn't fix it, So he is gonna grab a thicker washer, he hopes this will fix the noise. When he comes back tomorrow he's gonna take the whole thing apart and have a good look anyway.

Last edited by winnas13; 08-30-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
winnas13
Stock

Ok so i've managed to source a complete new hub and shaft assembly that was imported from Japan. $275 with a 5 yr warranty.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Ok so i've managed to source a complete new hub and shaft assembly that was imported from Japan. $275 with a 5 yr warranty.
Hmmm, that seems strange to me. Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just get a brand-new wheel bearing from Toyota?

Also, how would you place a claim if that used wheel bearing fails in 3 or 4 years? I have to wonder if that used parts importer will even still be in business. With a brand new bearing from Toyota, it's less likely to fail AND Toyota will still be around at the end of the warranty period.

Last edited by pwpanas; 09-01-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
winnas13
Stock

Quote:
Hmmm, that seems strange to me. Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just get a brand-new wheel bearing from Toyota?

Also, how would you place a claim if that used wheel bearing fails in 3 or 4 years? I have to wonder if that used parts importer will even still be in business. With a brand new bearing from Toyota, it's less likely to fail AND Toyota will still be around at the end of the warranty period.
A new wheel bearing from toyota is $318 plus the two rubber seals at $40 each. Gotta be sent over from interstate. Parts like this are hard to come by in Australia. Gotta go to Jap import stores which are scarce.

So yes i agree that it's a better idea to buy the brand new part, but my mechanic reckons the actual hub has been damaged in the process, which is why i'm going for the 2nd hand one.