Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 01-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
2JZDU
Stock

2JZDU is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
"Diagnosis tool"??? What on earth are you talking about?

All you need is a paper clip to "Connect terminal between TE1 and E1 of data link connector 1 or 2". Didn't you read the link I posted???
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd1_codes.html
That tech article does NOT mention a "diagnosis tool", in any way, shape or form.

If you don't mind me saying so, if you'd have fixed this yourself instead of taking it to a mechanic, you would have learned "relation between cam sensor and cold weather".
yes I read that, but I just don't understand where can I found the codes after I connect those connector, cause I throught I will need a computer thing to plug in the connector, then code will be shown on the screen.
2JZDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JZDU View Post
yes I read that, but I just don't understand where can I found the codes after I connect those connector, cause I throught I will need a computer thing to plug in the connector, then code will be shown on the screen.
With a paper clip in the connector, how could you plug anything else into it?

If you read the tech article, and maybe didn't understand part of it, why didn't you ask?

Your "check engine light" is really called a "malfunction indicator lamp" by Toyota. This from the very first paragraphs of the tech article:
"The ECM contains a built-in self-diagnosis system by which troubles with the engine signal network are detected and a malfunction indicator lamp on the instrument panel lights up...
The diagnostic trouble code can be read by the number of blinks of the malfunction indicator lamp when TE1 and E1 terminals on the data link connector 1 or 2 are connected."
Again, this tech article does NOT mention a "diagnosis tool", in any way, shape or form.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-12-2011 at 03:27 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
2JZDU
Stock

Quote:
With a paper clip in the connector, how could you plug anything else into it?

If you read the tech article, and maybe didn't understand part of it, why didn't you ask?

Your "check engine light" is really called a "malfunction indicator lamp" by Toyota. This from the very first paragraphs of the tech article:
"The ECM contains a built-in self-diagnosis system by which troubles with the engine signal network are detected and a malfunction indicator lamp on the instrument panel lights up...
The diagnostic trouble code can be read by the number of blinks of the malfunction indicator lamp when TE1 and E1 terminals on the data link connector 1 or 2 are connected."
right, so that mean I just need to count how many time it flash then I can find the problem throug that table?

and what if the car has some another problems, after I read one do I need to re-connect again for next code?

thank you, learn a big thing today
Old 01-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
right, so that mean I just need to count how many time it flash then I can find the problem throug that table?...
Yes. Again, please read, and re-read, and re-read that tech article until you fully understand it.

Quote:
...and what if the car has some another problems, after I read one do I need to re-connect again for next code?...
No. Please read the tech article. The codes follow one another in a pattern of flashes. The tech article COMPLETELY explains ALL of this!!!

Quote:
...thank you, learn a big thing today
You're welcome. I only wish you would have asked more questions before you assumed that you needed some sort of fancy "diagnosis tool", and sent your car away to someone that may or may not have fixed the problem, and may or may not have charged you for parts that you did not need.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-12-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
2JZDU
Stock

Quote:
Yes. Again, please read, and re-read, and re-read that tech article until you fully understand it.

No. Please read the tech article. The codes follow one another in a pattern of flashes. The tech article COMPLETELY explains ALL of this!!!

You're welcome. I only wish you would have asked more questions before you assumed that you needed some sort of fancy "diagnosis tool", and sent your car away to someone that may or may not have fixed the problem, and may or may not have charged you for parts that you did not need.
hey bro, I need your help again.
today the check engine light appeared again, then I diagnosised it myself.
here is the result I have got:

engine light flash once, after 1 sec, it keep flashed 4 time, then repeat form the beginning.

the over/drive light flashed twice first, then flashed 4 times, and repeat.

I just to find to the code from the table, but I dont quite understand the table, please help me, many thanks

engine light flash once, after 1 sec, it keep flashed 4 time, then repeat form the beginning.

I just to find to the code from the table, but I dont quite understand the table, please help me, many thanks

Last edited by pwpanas; 01-19-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:10 AM   #16
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:

The engine light flashes seem like code 14, from your description.

The OD light flashing seems like code 24, from your description.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
2JZDU
Stock

Quote:
The engine light flashes seem like code 14, from your description.

The OD light flashing seems like code 24, from your description.
so now the problem is either igniter and ECM, any suggesttion how should I check it myself? any experiences?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #18
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
so now the problem is either igniter and ECM, any suggesttion how should I check it myself? any experiences?
The easiest way to check for an ignitor problem is to swap it with a known-good ignitor from another Mkiv Supra TT.

Other than that, the TSRM details all of the troubleshooting steps you need to accurately diagnose any problem (this one included).

Old 03-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #19
2JZDU
Stock

Quote:
The easiest way to check for an ignitor problem is to swap it with a known-good ignitor from another Mkiv Supra TT.

Other than that, the TSRM details all of the troubleshooting steps you need to accurately diagnose any problem (this one included).

hi mate, I need your help again. Today I found my check engine will on if I drive over 140Km/h, but if I shut it down and restart the engine, the light will go away, I think might be a false o2 sensor. Anyway I try to diagnostic what the problem really was, but the weird thing happen.

engine light flash once, after one second, it keeps flash 4 times quickly, after one second, it flash two times more quickly as well, then go back to beginning.

I looked up the table and I couldn't find any condition of 2,

do you have any ideas what that was? I am very appreciated.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #20
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
hi mate, I need your help again. Today I found my check engine will on if I drive over 140Km/h, but if I shut it down and restart the engine, the light will go away, I think might be a false o2 sensor. Anyway I try to diagnostic what the problem really was, but the weird thing happen.

engine light flash once, after one second, it keeps flash 4 times quickly, after one second, it flash two times more quickly as well, then go back to beginning.

I looked up the table and I couldn't find any condition of 2,

do you have any ideas what that was? I am very appreciated.
One of the two codes appears to be 14, right?. Let's start with that:

Ignition Signal

No IGF signal to ECM for 4~7 consecutive IGT signals with engine speed less than 3,000 rpm.
  • Open or short in IGF circuit from igniter to ECM
  • Igniter
  • ECM
ONn/a
Yes

It seems you may have a problem with your igniter. Did you ever get a TSRM for your Supra?

Also, please re-check those codes. I don't think it's possible for the ecm to give a single-digit code. Perhaps it's 22?