Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIV Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/)
-   -   2JZGE to 2JZGTE Swap Questions (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiv-supra/16668-2jzge-to-2jzgte-swap-questions.html)

93.5_JDM_MK4 04-19-2010 01:07 AM

2JZGE to 2JZGTE Swap Questions

I was wondering if anyones ever swapped a manual NA mk4 supra to a 2jzgte? Did it go well? What problems did u run into? Any parts needed that wouldnt be included in a full engine/tranny/ecu/harness package? Any info that i would need will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

matt1993supraTT 04-19-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93.5_JDM_MK4 (Post 81671)
I was wondering if anyones ever swapped a manual NA mk4 supra to a 2jzgte? Did it go well? What problems did u run into? Any parts needed that wouldnt be included in a full engine/tranny/ecu/harness package? Any info that i would need will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

i've never seen it done but from what i've read and watched its a pretty diffcult to do i would say engine/tranny/ecu/harness all of this

pwpanas 04-20-2010 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93.5_JDM_MK4 (Post 81671)

Sorry don't understand your question. Are you talking about a transmission swap? Or are you talking about putting an n/a engine and transmission into a TT chassis? Or are you talking about putting a 2jz-gte into an n/a chassis with an n/a transmission? :confused:

matt1993supraTT 04-20-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 81720)
Sorry don't understand your question. Are you talking about a transmission swap? Or are you talking about putting an n/a engine and transmission into a TT chassis? Or are you talking about putting a 2jz-gte into an n/a chassis with an n/a transmission? :confused:

i think he's asking if anyone has ever swapped a 2JZ-GTE into a non turbo supra

93.5_JDM_MK4 04-20-2010 02:34 AM

im talking about putting the engine and tranny from the TT into a n/a, cant be that difficult, the engine and tranny are direct bolt on, the n/a chassis even has holes for intercooler piping...but i wanna know if theres any unexpected wiring issues and stuff like that, i know its not complicated but i wanna know if theres any unexpected things to think about before i do it.

matt1993supraTT 04-20-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93.5_JDM_MK4 (Post 81730)
im talking about putting the engine and tranny from the TT into a n/a, cant be that difficult, the engine and tranny are direct bolt on, the n/a chassis even has holes for intercooler piping...but i wanna know if theres any unexpected wiring issues and stuff like that, i know its not complicated but i wanna know if theres any unexpected things to think about before i do it.

i'd say all of the wiring would needs to be changed the GTE engine runs a host of different sensors that the N/A don't have.

pwpanas 04-20-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93.5_JDM_MK4 (Post 81730)

How do you know it's not complicated? I agree with Matt - at a minimum you'll need a whole new primary wiring harness, ecu, ignitor, and resistor pack. While perhaps one might consider this not to be "complicated", it won't be cheap...

matt1993supraTT 04-20-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 81761)
How do you know it's not complicated? I agree with Matt - at a minimum you'll need a whole new primary wiring harness, ecu, ignitor, and resistor pack. While perhaps one might consider this not to be "complicated", it won't be cheap...

+1 on that man i think it would be farly diffcult

93.5_JDM_MK4 04-21-2010 02:34 AM

how do i know its not complicated?my buddy has a TT and ive noticed that in terms of bolting all the stuff in, everything bolts in exactly the same way and i know i need the harness...but it comes with the swap...anyways no offence but why are you even posting replies if your not someone whos already done this?

pwpanas 04-21-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93.5_JDM_MK4 (Post 81774)
how do i know its not complicated? my buddy has a TT and ive noticed that in terms of bolting all the stuff in, everything bolts in exactly the same way and i know i need the harness...but it comes with the swap...anyways no offence but why are you even posting replies if your not someone whos already done this?

What makes you think I haven't done it? I listed exactly what you need, in addition to the v160 and 2jz-gte: harness, ignitor, resistor pack, and ecu. You say you've already got the intercooler covered (aftermarket?). Oh, and you'll also need a different or custom driveshaft unless you also plan to swap your n/a diff with a TT diff. Of course, the exhaust setup is different from the n/a so you'll need an aftermarket (catless) downpipe or an oem downpipe (with cat) to hook up to the oem egcv housing.

Where are you getting the 2jz-gte? If it's from a Japanese engine dealer, it'll likely be from an Aristo, which means the oil pan will need to be changed (you can use the one from your 2jz-ge). It's a LOT of work getting the oil pan completely clean before applying the new gasket material because the upper oil pan is aluminum and there are narrow grooves you have to clean out - of course a steel brush or wire wheel will take aluminum off too, which is why the job is so cumbersome.

However, note that this swap won't produce a full TT Supra. For example, the abs braking system on the n/a is significantly inferior to the tt's.

Lastly, please note that you can't stop folks from posting - especially if the info they have to share is relevant. However, you do have the power to ignore anyone's posts, and wait for someone else to post who has better info for you.

Peace, and best of luck.

matt1993supraTT 04-21-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 81781)
What makes you think I haven't done it? I listed exactly what you need, in addition to the v160 and 2jz-gte: harness, ignitor, resistor pack, and ecu. You say you've already got the intercooler covered (aftermarket?). Oh, and you'll also need a different or custom driveshaft unless you also plan to swap your n/a diff with a TT diff. Of course, the exhaust setup is different from the n/a so you'll need an aftermarket (catless) downpipe or an oem downpipe (with cat) to hook up to the oem egcv housing.

Where are you getting the 2jz-gte? If it's from a Japanese engine dealer, it'll likely be from an Aristo, which means the oil pan will need to be changed (you can use the one from your 2jz-ge). It's a LOT of work getting the oil pan completely clean before applying the new gasket material because the upper oil pan is aluminum and there are narrow grooves you have to clean out - of course a steel brush or wire wheel will take aluminum off too, which is why the job is so cumbersome.

However, note that this swap won't produce a full TT Supra. For example, the abs braking system on the n/a is significantly inferior to the tt's.

Lastly, please note that you can't stop folks from posting - especially if the info they have to share is relevant. However, you do have the power to ignore anyone's posts, and wait for someone else to post who has better info for you.

Peace, and best of luck.

amen brother!

93.5_JDM_MK4 04-22-2010 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 81781)

Peace, and best of luck.

The place where iam getting this is from a jap parts dealer, but engine is from a tt supra. The package includes everything from the engine and all that goes with it, tranny, diff and rear subframe. I plan on upgrading the braking system at a later date so the TT abs system doesnt really interest me anyways. Thanks alot for trying to help me but again i wanted to know if there was any suprises or wiring issues to worry about, the rest im pretty well informed about. Sorry if i offended you with my last post but it just seemed as though noone really had info that could be useful to me, i dont see the use in posting things like ''never seen it done'' and ''seems difficult''...

matt1993supraTT 04-22-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93.5_JDM_MK4 (Post 81813)
The place where iam getting this is from a jap parts dealer, but engine is from a tt supra. The package includes everything from the engine and all that goes with it, tranny, diff and rear subframe. I plan on upgrading the braking system at a later date so the TT abs system doesnt really interest me anyways. Thanks alot for trying to help me but again i wanted to know if there was any suprises or wiring issues to worry about, the rest im pretty well informed about. Sorry if i offended you with my last post but it just seemed as though noone really had info that could be useful to me, i dont see the use in posting things like ''never seen it done'' and ''seems difficult''...

well i am sorry that my information did not help you either but i will give you a bit of useful info sell the n/a car and buy a TT then you would'nt have to worry about swapping anything to begin with. sounds like you have the money to do so, cant be cheap importing a jdm supra engine. buying a imported engine with the whole drivetran never heard nor seen that! hope this helps:crazy2:

93.5_JDM_MK4 04-23-2010 03:37 AM

well as a matter of fact instead of costing me 20,000$ for a stock TT, its going to cost me about 14,000$ after its swapped. I also like the fact that not many people have done this, thats why i want to do it!

93.5_JDM_MK4 04-23-2010 03:42 AM

and if u dont believe me about the drivetrain being included, check this site out :
http://www.japanpowerinc.com/engine_...Toyota_2JZ_GTE

this place is roughly 4 hours from where i live.

pwpanas 04-24-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93.5_JDM_MK4 (Post 81889)
and if u dont believe me about the drivetrain being included, check this site out :
http://www.japanpowerinc.com/engine_...Toyota_2JZ_GTE

this place is roughly 4 hours from where i live.

If your n/a is US-spec (LHD), and the harness is Japanese-spec (RHD), it won't work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93.5_JDM_MK4 (Post 81813)

P.S. I never posted "never seen it done" or "seems difficult...

matt1993supraTT 04-24-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93.5_JDM_MK4 (Post 81888)
well as a matter of fact instead of costing me 20,000$ for a stock TT, its going to cost me about 14,000$ after its swapped. I also like the fact that not many people have done this, thats why i want to do it!

dude i paid 12K for mine it was a one owner car. man more power to you if you want to swap the motor still but theres got to be some reason why everybody has'nt swapped a TT engine into a n/a if it was easy..

matt1993supraTT 04-24-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 81967)
If your n/a is US-spec (LHD), and the harness is Japanese-spec (RHD), it won't work.

P.S. I never posted "never seen it done" or "seems difficult...

he's talking about me

pwpanas 04-25-2010 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt1993supraTT (Post 81970)
he's talking about me

I believe you're correct, but he also acted like I said something like that too, when he said to me "why are you even posting replies if your not someone whos already done this?" when he responded to my post here:
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 81761)

:dunno:

Either way, no biggie. It seems all straightened out now...

93.5_JDM_MK4 05-26-2010 11:53 AM

i was also wondering about putting a aristo engine in (front sump), if anyone knows the modifications needed for it to go in a supra...?

pwpanas 05-26-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93.5_JDM_MK4 (Post 83509)
i was also wondering about putting a aristo engine in (front sump), if anyone knows the modifications needed for it to go in a supra...?

Yep you need to remove the aristo oil pan and replace it with an MKIV Supra oil pan.

93.5_JDM_MK4 05-26-2010 01:58 PM

is that all? apart from putting an electric fan on my supra i assume since the aristo doesnt come with a clutch fan. Is the engine the same in terms of performance and is the wiring the same as a supra 2jzgte?

pwpanas 05-28-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93.5_JDM_MK4 (Post 83511)
is that all? apart from putting an electric fan on my supra i assume since the aristo doesnt come with a clutch fan. Is the engine the same in terms of performance and is the wiring the same as a supra 2jzgte?

My GS300 comes with a clutch fan - why wouldn't an Aristo?

Of course, you'll need a 2jz-gte primary wiring harness, resistor pack, ignitor, and ecu...

93.5_JDM_MK4 06-02-2010 01:58 PM

Does anyone know if the newer vvti 2jzgte would work in a non vvti 93.5 JDM NA Supra? Thanks.

pwpanas 06-03-2010 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93.5_JDM_MK4 (Post 83787)
Does anyone know if the newer vvti 2jzgte would work in a non vvti 93.5 JDM NA Supra? Thanks.

Sure, but you'd need a tt vvti ecu, harness, etc..

93.5_JDM_MK4 07-30-2010 01:51 AM

Update

In the process of doing the swap right now. So far got the engine/tranny out, cleaned the engine bay and front subframe big time, sent my steering rack to get rebuilt, got the old harness out of the car. The ONLY modification that i had to do to the wiring harness is replace the 4-wire fusebox connector on the TT engine harness with my 3-wire fusebox connector from the GE engine harness so it plugs into the car. I will be running a MEGAN downpipe which has a place to bolt in the stock 02 sensor so no mod there. Im making a custom 3 in exhaust line. I have a 31in/16in/4in MISHIMOTO fmic that im just about ready to put on along with a 3in piping kit from ebay. Had to order TT radiator hoses so i got some MISHIMOTO silicone rad hoses. Had to order brand new throttle cable from toyota. I also replaced every seal & gasket on the engine except the head gasket with oem seals & gaskets. New NGK iridium spark plugs. Polished the turbo intake piping. Im re-using my w58 along with w58 flywheel and clutch which are all bolt on to the gte. Im gunna save up some money this winter to get the tranny/driveshaft/subframe/axel kit to put on next summer. Got an HKS SSQV and a DEFI boost gauge. Might get a wideband and fuel pressure gauge also. Get a boost controller eventually. 2 new rear tires. Ill keep you guys updated.

supraman623 07-30-2010 08:04 AM

im actually in the middle of doing the same thing. i have a 95 na that had a manual tranny in it. i have the shop manual for the car and did a lot of research before i started so i knew what i was gettin into. im just a normal guy probably just like yourself with a pretty good knowledge of cars but not a mechanic. it def can be done but it isnt very cost effective. the price really changes depending on if you want to go with a 6 speed or an auto. if you want to do the 6 speed which is the v160 tranny then you will need an entire new driveline as well. this is what i did. i had to find a differential that would handle the power. i got an lsd out of a 94 tt supra for 1300 then i had to buy the motor and tranny and ecu which was 5000 then i had to get the slave cylinder it was about 150. then there was a lot of little stuff like the intercooler and piping an nuts and bolts that i didnt have and so on. im not finished yet but i know wants i have everything in i will probably need to get the motor tuned as well. trust me its a lot of work. if you can i would just buy a tt. hope this helps

93.5_JDM_MK4 07-30-2010 10:25 PM

Myself im a mechanic actually, for BMW, but if you know how to turn screws and research stuff in shop manuals, you can do this. As for buying the TT, its a little too late for that cuz im pretty much 3/4 of the way through the swap but i love the fact that not many people did this, also ive seen people buy abs delete kits or put na brake master cyl. on their TT so thats one thing i wont have to do. I dont know where u live but for me here in canada, buying a TT that is completely stock and beaten to shit would be 20,000$, im at 11,500$ right now that i have invested (including the price of the car), my car is not gunna be stock and plus thats including a nitrous kit also, lets say i have about 5000$ left to put on it for the driveline and brake upgrade, im still only at 16,500$ and have a machine that outperforms a stock TT and is in much better shape beacause im redoing the steering rack, ball-joints and all that stuff, also a hell of a lot cleaner. So for me its worth it!!! plus im having fun doing it!!!

dtm888 08-11-2010 10:22 PM

Hello everyone.

I am looking at this '93 supra n/a, but it looks like the previous owner has put a twin turbo in it. First of all, I've always loved the body style of the mkiv. So I'm about to buy this one. Can someone help me with what to look for. What should I be worried about.

Heres the specs on it so far.

'93 supra
Miles: 36k
one owner
everything looks to be stock except there is a twin turbo add to the engine.
5 speed manual transmission
clean carfax, and clean title

Please advise, thank you in advance.

93.5_JDM_MK4 08-12-2010 12:34 AM

if the guy lets you, take the intake piping off the turbos to check for shaft play and to check if theres oil in the intake, check if the gears grind and listen when not pressing the clutch and see if theres a winding noise that stops when you do press the clutch (transmission bearings) cuz w58 transmissions seem to be prone to leaking. Those are pretty much the things that are specific to his setup that your gunna need to check, the rest would be pretty much regular inspection stuff like on any other car.

dtm888 08-12-2010 06:09 AM

Thank you for that info 93.5 JDM

Now I have a couple more stupid questions. where is/how do I take off the intake piping off the turbos, and what does "shaft play" mean and if there was oil in the intake, is that an easy fix or is the engine no good anymore?

When I test drove the car, The gears did seem to grind a bit, but I did not listen for the winding of the transmission when not stepping on the clutch. I will do so and get back to you about it.

Sonyps307 08-12-2010 01:57 PM

Shaft play is when the shaft in the turbo moves side to side And the turbo is bad and oil in the intake is from the turbo it must be leaking

93.5_JDM_MK4 08-13-2010 08:43 PM

ya exactly, oil in the intake means that the turbo seals are leaking, it doesnt mean anythings wrong with the engine, the intake piping is on the turbo side of the engine where you see the heat shield, well your going to have to take off all the rubber hoses and aluminum pipes to go the turbos to take a look at the compressor wheels of the turbos. Also for the winding noise in the transmission, you have to listen when your NOT pressing on the clutch, then press the clutch to see if the sound changes, its quite noticable, and odds are that if the syncros are grinding, then the bearings are also damaged. Its all due to a low transmission oil level. Feel free to ask any more questions, its a pleasure to answer them!

pwpanas 08-14-2010 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtm888 (Post 86786)
Thank you for that info 93.5 JDM

Now I have a couple more stupid questions. where is/how do I take off the intake piping off the turbos...

You should get the Toyota Supra Repair Manual (TSRM) before working on your Supra...

dtm888 08-14-2010 04:43 PM

You guys are both right. I am trying to get tips on buying this car, but at the same time I want to know what/how to do certain things to look kow what I'm looking for, but I buy the car.

I thank you for all the info, it helps me tremdously when going to look at the car and know what to look for, listent to, and take some small things apart to see is there were oil leaks.

So none of the postings are useless

Oh, and to answer your question PWPanas,

I don't have a supra, I've been looking at one I wan to buy, so I'm asking these questions to know what to listen for, and look for before getting myself into one. Thus I don't have a TSRM.

pwpanas 08-15-2010 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtm888 (Post 86870)
Oh, and to answer your question PWPanas,

I don't have a supra, I've been looking at one I wan to buy, so I'm asking these questions to know what to listen for, and look for before getting myself into one. Thus I don't have a TSRM.

I understand why you don't have a TSRM yet, but you asked a question about a job that is quite involved. If you really want to take all of the intake piping of the oem twin turbos, it's a very involved job...one you definitely should have a TSRM handy for. Perhaps you can borrow one, or find one one going for a reasonable price on ebay? Either way, best of luck on your search...

In addition, thanks for your post to smooth the situation over! :)

[SupraLEGEND] 11-24-2011 04:22 PM

The feel...?

Hi guys.

93.5, how does the 2JZ-GTE feel through the N/A's W58 tranny compared to the V160?

pwpanas 11-26-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [SupraLEGEND] (Post 99499)
Hi guys.

93.5, how does the 2JZ-GTE feel through the N/A's W58 tranny compared to the V160?

It feels broken, especially if you put a bigger turbo on the 2jz-gte. The W58 won't handle the power.

[SupraLEGEND] 11-26-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwpanas (Post 99509)
It feels broken, especially if you put a bigger turbo on the 2jz-gte. The W58 won't handle the power.

Thanks for replying. I hear you. I read on a technical section of a different Supra forum that the W58 can safely handle (I stand corrected with this figure) around 300rwkw (roughly 410HP) which is more than what the stock 2JZ-GTE puts out. By that they mean that you can open up the boost even more on a GTE and not worry about the tranny breaking if you're running it thru a W58. What do you think?

pwpanas 11-26-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [SupraLEGEND] (Post 99514)
Thanks for replying. I hear you. I read on a technical section of a different Supra forum that the W58 can safely handle (I stand corrected with this figure) around 300rwkw (roughly 410HP) which is more than what the stock 2JZ-GTE puts out. By that they mean that you can open up the boost even more on a GTE and not worry about the tranny breaking if you're running it thru a W58. What do you think?

A completely stock 2jz-gte means stock turbos...and 410rwhp is right at what most BPU 2jz-gte's do (6spd). The record for a new 2jz-gte with new oem twins, bpu'd, is about 475rwhp. Personally, I'd never run a tranny that was right on the edge of breaking, but I guess that's your choice. I wish you all the luck in the world, because you'll probably need it. If you don't want to depend on luck, get the transmission that was designed to go with the 2jz-gte - the V160.