Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 11-04-2009, 04:27 AM   #1
casanovacuts
Stock

casanovacuts is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Noob ? and yes i searched already...

i know most of you get annoyed with noob questions. im interested in buying a mkiv supra and need to know a few things before i do so. first of all ive heard speculation that buying a 5 spd and turboing it is possibly better because of the gear range. i know thats more of a driver preference but although the engines are identical are there issues turboing a 5 spd as opposed to the 6 spd? also with the 5 spd models is there issues with room and fabrication for proper fitment of the turbo(es) ? is it easier/cheaper to convert a turboed automatic into a six speed than to turbo the 5 spd ? and how far does the motor go on stock internals before you have to crack it open and start playing ? i did do research in these forums as well as some others and theres no direct questions like this and if there are any they are for previous generations of the supra. so i just wanted to make sure of the answers to these before i decide which type of mkiv i would like to purchase. im also currently looking at a 1997 mkiv supra that is an N/A 5 spd with about 115k mi and is selling for $13k. in your opinion is that a good deal as opposed to looking for the six speed and spending what seems to be double the amount. i appreciate any and all help and answers and im continuing my research online so i might be able to find the answers myself but ive been looking for about 4 days now and nothing is really specific in answering these kinds of questions unless its just a breakdown of what equipment came with what specific model. i know plenty of you are going to bag on me and nail me to the wall but those who help i will greatly appreciate it.
casanovacuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 AM   #2
86.5supra
3" Exhaust

86.5supra is on a distinguished road

listen before you get into this project you need to fully understand how much money your going to spend to do either swap.

With that said it is always easier to swap a tranny than to built a turbo engine out of a naturally aspirated engine. Most people just think they can buy a bolt on kit, have some half-ass mechanic throw it on and take it out and race it. What they dont tell you is even at 5psi sooner or later it is going to blow. The problem is the internal componets are not and were never built to run boost or handle that kind of HP. The only way to do it correctly is to have the motor bored .40 over and have forged internals installed. Then you need headers, turbo, intercooler, piping, intake manifold, ecu, engine wireharness, oil lines for the turbo, and all the electronics to run everything.
86.5supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
casanovacuts
Stock

Default Thank u

Thabk you for the information. I totally understand that part of it. I currently have a completely built H22a I did all the same fun stuff too that bad boy so I do understand that part. I'm just curious will the stock turbo system from a 6 SPD fit onto a 5 spd ?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casanovacuts View Post
i know most of you get annoyed with noob questions.
Actually it's quite the opposite. If you search any thread I've particpated in, I welcome questions from anyone at any expertise level. About the only thing I don't like is when someone pretends to know an answer and posts bad advice out of ignorance.
Quote:
im interested in buying a mkiv supra and need to know a few things before i do so. first of all ive heard speculation that buying a 5 spd and turboing it is possibly better because of the gear range.
Better than what? Definitely not better than starting with a TT in the first place.
Quote:
i know thats more of a driver preference but although the engines are identical are there issues turboing a 5 spd as opposed to the 6 spd?
A 6spd is already turbo'd. I'm not sure what you're asking...
Quote:
also with the 5 spd models is there issues with room and fabrication for proper fitment of the turbo(es)?
There's not a lot of room, but several aftermarket suppliers have been able to fabricate a kit that fits.
Quote:
is it easier/cheaper to convert a turboed automatic into a six speed than to turbo the 5 spd ?
No. As 86.5supra said, it's much better and cheaper to start with the TT auto.
Quote:
and how far does the motor go on stock internals before you have to crack it open and start playing ?
Which motor? The 2jz-gte or the 2jz-ge?
Quote:
i did do research in these forums as well as some others and theres no direct questions like this and if there are any they are for previous generations of the supra. so i just wanted to make sure of the answers to these before i decide which type of mkiv i would like to purchase. im also currently looking at a 1997 mkiv supra that is an N/A 5 spd with about 115k mi and is selling for $13k.
Why? If you want a turbo Mkiv, that's what you should be looking for (not an n/a).
Quote:
in your opinion is that a good deal as opposed to looking for the six speed and spending what seems to be double the amount.
It depends what you want. If you want everything that comes with the TT, then don't waste your time with the 5spd.
Quote:
i appreciate any and all help and answers and im continuing my research online so i might be able to find the answers myself but ive been looking for about 4 days now and nothing is really specific in answering these kinds of questions unless its just a breakdown of what equipment came with what specific model. i know plenty of you are going to bag on me and nail me to the wall but those who help i will greatly appreciate it.
Don't be silly...I'm hopeful I can help get you the info you need.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86.5supra View Post
listen before you get into this project you need to fully understand how much money your going to spend to do either swap.

With that said it is always easier to swap a tranny than to built a turbo engine out of a naturally aspirated engine. Most people just think they can buy a bolt on kit, have some half-ass mechanic throw it on and take it out and race it. What they dont tell you is even at 5psi sooner or later it is going to blow. The problem is the internal componets are not and were never built to run boost or handle that kind of HP. The only way to do it correctly is to have the motor bored .40 over and have forged internals installed. Then you need headers, turbo, intercooler, piping, intake manifold, ecu, engine wireharness, oil lines for the turbo, and all the electronics to run everything.
Agreed with pretty much everything you said. About the only thing I'd add is that the pistons need to be changed to lower-compression when taking the engine from an n/a to turbo.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Thabk you for the information. I totally understand that part of it. I currently have a completely built H22a I did all the same fun stuff too that bad boy so I do understand that part. I'm just curious will the stock turbo system from a 6 SPD fit onto a 5 spd ?
No. The 2jz-gte head is completely different than the 2jz-ge head.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:13 AM   #7
casanovacuts
Stock

Default Thank you so much

Yes I have noticed how helpful you are as well as knowledgable. I pretty much said that because of other forums I have posted on people like to just give it to you because either they know more than you or pretend they know more than you. But I really appreciate your time as well as your input on all the matters I was addressing. I do have a hard time putting together with words what exactly it os that I'm trying to get answered so I apologize for that. As mentioned earlier I was curious how far either motor will go? Obviously I understand the 6 spd would go farther because of compression level and other variables but how far will it go and stay reliable . I know both of these motors are known to take a beating ( power not bad driving ) but the reason I was looking at the 5 spd ea possibly more out of being anxious to get my hands on this monster anyway I could. I dis find a fairly good deal on a TT 6spd so I'm in the works with this gentlemen already. But As far as my question between the 5 spd and 6 spd, I do know the 6 spd is turboed already but I spoke to someone who was telling me that I should look for the 5 spd because u can ride the gears longer especially when it's turboed. And Rey said it was more fun than the six speed because u weren't shifting every couple of seconds. Not sure if he knew what he was talking about or not. So now I know to start with the TT no matter what and o saw a thread already on the necessary componnents to switch over to a manual tranny if needed. I do appreciate all of your advice. Thank you once again for your time
Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...As mentioned earlier I was curious how far either motor will go?...
Bone stock? With a set of cams the 2jz-gte will handle 1000hp at the crank - reliably, with race fuel. A stock 2jz-ge won't do more than about 450hp at the crank, reliably with race fuel.
Quote:
...the reason I was looking at the 5 spd ea possibly more out of being anxious to get my hands on this monster anyway I could...
Not only the motor is different in the n/a - it's the entire powertrain and braking system that is weaker and less capable.
Quote:
...I spoke to someone who was telling me that I should look for the 5 spd because u can ride the gears longer especially when it's turboed...
That person really has no idea. The 5spd holds less than half the power that the 6spd can. Oh, and you can re-gear the diff to get the gears to ride longer in the 6spd if you wish.
Quote:
...And Rey said it was more fun than the six speed because u weren't shifting every couple of seconds. Not sure if he knew what he was talking about or not....
Not.
Quote:
...So now I know to start with the TT no matter what and o saw a thread already on the necessary componnents to switch over to a manual tranny if needed. I do appreciate all of your advice. Thank you once again for your time
Anytime!

Tags
five speed or six speed