Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 05-31-2006, 10:45 AM   #21
ddmcse
500whp yet?

ddmcse is on a distinguished road
Cool

http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/...2858#post22858
My Supra KiXGaS
ddmcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #22
BossGVR4
Stock

BossGVR4 is on a distinguished road
Default 2JZ = Interference Engine

according to this the 3.0L is an interference motor

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doity...mingbelts6.htm
BossGVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #23
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig
im new here so i dont knowmuch but i do know that the headcasket (stock) might break. best bet is by a new one and tighten bolts to 7s lbs. (not sure) as of gas i think its plus only not sure either....
The 2jz-ge's (and the 2jz-gte's) head gaskets are not weak points.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:46 PM   #24
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraMan1784
the 2jz motor is the most tunable engine in the world...its one of the most durable engines on stock internals...the other being the rb motor from nissan, there arent that many problems from the motor from teh factory...i think it was basically perfect....as for the avg mpg it changes...the more you mod the car..the less you getm which is the same for any car you mod, as for octane...usually premium is good enough but if i had one i would put supreme all the time....but then again as you mod the car more and more you will need a higher octane...just like any other car
I agree generally ... the more you mod the car, the more boost you typically want to run ... and for more boost you need more octane (or it'll detonate, which will wreck any engine including the 'mighty' 2jz-gte).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:47 PM   #25
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger777
Cool, getting so good info here. Does anyone know if the 2JZ is an interferance engine or not though. Also if some one could give me a ball park guess at the MPG on a completly stock NA.
The 2jz-ge and the 2jz-gte are non-interference engines.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:49 PM   #26
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Also what type of stuff should I take the extra time to check out when viewing a supra I'm thinking about buying? Was there also a difforent set up for California cars due to emissions? Or were all cars sent the U.S. the same?
If it's an n/a I can't advise you on special requirements, but if it were a tt I'd suggest you to do a compression test in addition to all other standard checks you'd do buying any used vehicle. The 2jz-ge also requires premium fuel so I would guess that running it on (for example) 87 octane constantly would eventually hurt the engine.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #27
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSupra86
All cars that were sent to the US are the same....Really, with all supras be wary of a seeping or blown Headgasket...
This is absolutely not true for the 2jz-ge nor the 2jz-gte. This 'weakness' was only present in the MKIII (7M).

Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 PM   #28
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraMan1784
the motor is pretty solid...everyone upgrades hte timing belts though so usually htat isnt a problem
Although there are two different options for aftermarket timing belts (Poodles is correct, GReddy is one of the two**), the oem timing belt has proven itself to work just fine for 1000rwhp+ applications.

** Poodles is also correct that the targa can leak or rattle, but the fix is relatively easy...

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-06-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #29
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossGVR4
according to this the 3.0L is an interference motor

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doity...mingbelts6.htm
The 2jz-gte can be modified to become an interference motor with (for example) 272 duration cams and/or 'decked' block and/or head. Bone-stock specs are non-interference.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:59 PM   #30
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Ok, so I'm back again...still with out a supra. It looks like turbo MKIVs are easyer to find for some reason. Can someone shoot me off a comparison or the NA and the Turbo...focasing on MPG. Stuff they have actualy witnessed them selves would be best. Also what are the weeks spots in the turbos system. Like in the Eclipse I had to replace the BOV fast because it leaks.
Oem spec for the mkiv tt is 17mpg city, 24mpg hwy.

Yes, the oem bov on the 2jz-gte is a bit of a weak point too. It's been known to partially fail (resulting in decreased max boost) after about 50k miles. Other somewhat-unusual items that should be replaced in higher mileage 2jz-gte's are the coilpacks and the harmonic dampener (crank pulley). Other items may also need to be replaced, such as the water pump and/or oil pump, depending on how diligently the previous owner followed the maintenance schedule.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-06-2006 at 12:01 AM.