View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
97SupraTT
3" Exhaust

97SupraTT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
The most power you could practically achieve out of the oem twins depends a lot on the condition of your turbos and your engine. However, there's no practical way to get 600 crank horsepower out of the oem twins alone (i.e. without adding nitrous). If your engine and turbos were brand new, your max through a 6spd (not sure if you have a 6spd or an auto) would be about 485rwhp (570 crank hp) ... and even that is only after a lot of "bpu++++" modifications. To get on your way, you'll need to start with basic bpu, which is described here:
http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html#bpu1
Note: Although that link shows an exhaust as the first bpu mod, an exhaust won't affect the horsepower until you get into the bpu++++ range. The item that's missing from the list is adding a boost gauge, which is critical to keeping your engine in good condition and letting you know what octane of fuel you need to run (based on the boost levels you've chosen with your boost controller). Note however that some ebc's do display the boost level.
Thank you for replying to my post. This information will help alot. I have done alot of research and i can see that i will not be looking at 600 hp. Even if i get it up to 570 crank hp then i would be pushing my twins to the max and greatly shorten the life of the turbos. Is what i will probably do is start with some BPU mods and then eventually upgrade to a single turbo. Thank you again for the reply.
97SupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote