Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 06-01-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
marcusklemme
Stock

marcusklemme is on a distinguished road
Default Questions before buying TT Supra...

Hey guys I'm new to the supra scene, so please forgive my ignorance and stupid questions...

Next year I will be getting a very large settlement from my insurance company due to an accident I was in last year. With some of that money I have decided to buy myself a nice car to drive for the summer . Currently I am thinking about a Nissan S14 Silvia, but if I can afford it then I would definatly take a Supra. The major issue here is obviously the cost. I know that an S14 would be much cheaper in pretty much every catagory, But that's why I'm asking for your guys oppinions.

My number one concern is gas mileage. I know that depends on many factors but I don't plan to modify beyond simple things like intake and exhaust stuff, and I plan on driving it reasonably nice (if that's possible with a Supra). What do you think I could expect to get for mileage and how much do you usually pay to fill these beasts up?

The next concern is reliability. Once again I am aware this depends on certain factors but like I said above I plan to treat this car very nicely.

And the last thing is the modifications. I have heard that the stock intercooler is a pos so that would probably be the first thing to replace, followed by a radiator and possibly an oil cooler... Basically I want to build it to be as reliable and fuel efficient as possible.

Any tips or advice you guys could throw at me would be much appreciated

Sorry for being such a noob...
marcusklemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusklemme View Post
Hey guys I'm new to the supra scene, so please forgive my ignorance and stupid questions...

Next year I will be getting a very large settlement from my insurance company due to an accident I was in last year. With some of that money I have decided to buy myself a nice car to drive for the summer . Currently I am thinking about a Nissan S14 Silvia, but if I can afford it then I would definatly take a Supra. The major issue here is obviously the cost. I know that an S14 would be much cheaper in pretty much every catagory, But that's why I'm asking for your guys oppinions.

My number one concern is gas mileage. I know that depends on many factors but I don't plan to modify beyond simple things like intake and exhaust stuff, and I plan on driving it reasonably nice (if that's possible with a Supra). What do you think I could expect to get for mileage and how much do you usually pay to fill these beasts up?

The next concern is reliability. Once again I am aware this depends on certain factors but like I said above I plan to treat this car very nicely.

And the last thing is the modifications. I have heard that the stock intercooler is a pos so that would probably be the first thing to replace, followed by a radiator and possibly an oil cooler... Basically I want to build it to be as reliable and fuel efficient as possible.

Any tips or advice you guys could throw at me would be much appreciated

Sorry for being such a noob...
A 2jz-gte in good condition, unmodified, should get about 19mpg highway.

The stock intercooler is not a pos...it does fine for oem and bpu levels.

You'll only need an aftermarket radiator and/or oil cooler if you're doing competitive roadracing in a hot region. For regular 'track days' roadracing, at oem or bpu horsepower levels, the oem radiator and oem oil-heat-exchanger work fine. Of course, if you're not doing any roadracing at all, the stock radiator and oem oil-heat-exchanger will be more than sufficient.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-02-2009 at 12:36 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Curtis
Stock

Curtis is on a distinguished road

2jz-gte is a 24 valve, so 4 valves per cylinder... so two intake and two exhaust. Which means poor milage, but lots of power.

silvia won't be a 1/4 the car that a supra is, i do recomened a supra.
You'll have chicks stuck to you, (chick magnet :P)

I think nissian is a toyota downgrade.

Last edited by pwpanas; 06-02-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote