Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 05-24-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
balnabhan
Stock

balnabhan is on a distinguished road
Default 800 rwhp on PUMP GAS??

First of all, I would like to say hi everybody. I am new to this forum and this issue that i have in my mind. i am thinking of buying a supra and some of the questions i have:

Is it possible to get 800 rwhp on a pump gas with stock bottom end? If it is then what would be the recommended setup that has the lowest turbo lag? If not what would be the setup for the 800 rwhp with pump gas ?? (relaibly)

Thanks

Bader
balnabhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by balnabhan View Post
First of all, I would like to say hi everybody. I am new to this forum and this issue that i have in my mind. i am thinking of buying a supra and some of the questions i have:

Is it possible to get 800 rwhp on a pump gas with stock bottom end? If it is then what would be the recommended setup that has the lowest turbo lag? If not what would be the setup for the 800 rwhp with pump gas ?? (relaibly)

Thanks

Bader
It's not practical to try to get 800rwhp with pump gas on any 3L engine, regardless of whether or not that bottom end is stock. It's probably not even possible...the best I've heard of is 700rwhp and that's with a massively large turbo with so much lag it won't spool up without a shot of nitrous.

Also keep in mind that if you need to keep the boost low enough to keep it from detonating with pump gas, you'll be really limiting any turbo big enough to produce big hp. Big turbos blow much cooler air at low-to-mid boost levels than smaller turbos, BUT the reason big turbos lag so much is because they love high boost...and they're very efficient at high boost (which requires {edit->} race fuel). To run a big turbo at low boost is like hiring a seven foot tall bodyguard and then telling him he has to fight on his knees. In other words, if you choose a really big turbo and only run it on pump gas, you're getting the worst of all worlds - huge lag, and severely limiting the capabilities of the turbo you purchased (i.e. no big hp fun).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-24-2009 at 03:06 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
balnabhan
Stock

Thanks alot pwpanas
Very informative. Then my question will be what is a reasonable rwhp target with gas pump and least turbo lag for street racing with the setup?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Thanks alot pwpanas
Very informative. Then my question will be what is a reasonable rwhp target with gas pump and least turbo lag for street racing with the setup?
To me, if you want to run it on pump gas, the least lag for street racing would be stick with the stock turbos. The stock (sequential) twins start spooling up at about 2,250 rpms - there's literally no aftermarket turbo-only setup for the mkiv supra that beats that for minimal lag. With a brand-new (zero miles) 2jz-gte and brand-new (zero miles) oem twins, 375rwhp through a 6spd is a reasonable target on pump-gas-only (brand-new oem twins can actually hit 475rwhp+ with supporting mods, but only with race fuel too). With 375rwhp you'll have fun with the setup, but don't plan on blowing away any serious competition...even a bone-stock z06 or viper will probably pull you.

You could also add additional performance using nitrous on top of the oem twins, without introducing any additional lag (of course, your rwhp target with nos would depend on how big a shot you chose to spray - tuned right, and with the right electronic controls, you could probably spray an oem 2jz-gte up to 450rwhp (through a 6spd)). With 450rwhp you should be somewhat competitive in drag racing or road racing, and you'll have fun with it, but you'll still run up on modded vipers and busas that will tear you a new one.

Any larger aftermarket turbo kit will introduce lag, and will perform best with either race fuel or methanol injection.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your beef with race fuel and/or meth injection? Honestly with the mkiv's 3L engine, you'll spend more in the long run trying to achieve high performance on pump gas alone. *shrug* Also consider methanol injection to supplement pump gas - it's a common, practical solution to running more boost with pump gas and a bigger turbo.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-24-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
balnabhan
Stock

Actually the race gas is very expensive and i don't consider it proper for street usage. Methanol Injection i heard about it but i have no idea what is it
Old 05-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Actually the race gas is very expensive and i don't consider it proper for street usage. Methanol Injection i heard about it but i have no idea what is it
What do you mean by "proper"? Lots of items for a winning street setup are expensive ... good drag radials (eg. BFG), wide rims, ported heads, cams, mandrel-bent free-flowing exhaust, etc. are all pretty traditional 'street' gear - and none of them are cheap. What's the difference if you spend three grand to bore out your block, or you get a few barrels of race fuel? How would someone go about figuring out what's "proper" and what's not? It's all only money...pay to play...etc. *shrug*

Here's an example of a meth injection kit:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=SNO-20012SS