Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 05-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
mandil23
Stock

mandil23 is on a distinguished road
Default my 98 supra tt in need of help

i have a 1998 supra tt that has been highly modded. The car will not start the car is getting a 50 psi the injectors are not sprayn, ever since i swaped from 850cc to 450 cc. so i have tried to reprogram the aftermarket computer for 450cc injectors but im having problems with that because the car has autroinc computer that flashes a red light then goes off so i thought its not getting power but it test out fine. but when i plug it to my laptop it says short circut in a datalink cable. i bought another serial db9 to usb same problem and my car will not start and i have spent alot i mean alot of money on this car and it dosent run i need help and bad please if you know anything let me know.i will post pics as soon as i can.
mandil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandil23 View Post
i have a 1998 supra tt that has been highly modded. The car will not start the car is getting a 50 psi the injectors are not sprayn, ever since i swaped from 850cc to 450 cc. so i have tried to reprogram the aftermarket computer for 450cc injectors but im having problems with that because the car has autroinc computer that flashes a red light then goes off so i thought its not getting power but it test out fine. but when i plug it to my laptop it says short circut in a datalink cable. i bought another serial db9 to usb same problem and my car will not start and i have spent alot i mean alot of money on this car and it dosent run i need help and bad please if you know anything let me know.i will post pics as soon as i can.
Is your 98TT JDM-spec (rhd)? If not (i.e. if it is US-spec), you should be using 550cc injectors (not 440s). That could be one of the problems...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
mandil23
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Is your 98TT JDM-spec (rhd)? If not (i.e. if it is US-spec), you should be using 550cc injectors (not 440s). That could be one of the problems...
jdm i have pics in my album of it iam getting one for the motor but i looked at the computer on it and the redlight is flashes when u try to crank the car but it goes off so im thinking it a wiring issue but idk yet
Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
jdm i have pics in my album of it iam getting one for the motor but i looked at the computer on it and the redlight is flashes when u try to crank the car but it goes off so im thinking it a wiring issue but idk yet
Your situation is somewhat unique due to your standalone (Autronic) ecu. I'm extremely confident in my recommendation that you need to get in touch with Autronic to help with the diagnosis. For example, if you've already tried two different USB/serical cables, and you know your laptop is not the problem, then it's likely your ecu has an issue.

As a reference, I'm also running an aftermarket, 'standalone' ecu in my Mkiv TT (an AEM). Before that I ran a Haltech. I've worked on several other Mkiv TTs with standalone ecus. Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on how you look at it) I've had to become intimately familiar with these types of issues.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-13-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:41 AM   #5
mandil23
Stock

ok got off the phone with them they think my computer usb port is too fast to comunicate with the car idk man im about to cruch this car ive been waiting for a whole yr to get this car running
Old 05-14-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
ok got off the phone with them they think my computer usb port is too fast to comunicate with the car idk man im about to cruch this car ive been waiting for a whole yr to get this car running
If you want rock-solid reliability and don't want to mess with a standalone ecu, just put a stock Toyota ecu back into it!

Regarding the "usb port too fast" excuse, just try it with a different (older) computer. If you can duplicate the problem with another computer, the problem is definitely in the ecu (and not with the computer).

Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
mandil23
Stock

Exclamation

i wish i can do that i have almost 70,000 invested in this car from labor to parts tried another on apprently my 5 cables i have for this car are bad!! idk what to do i feel like crushing this thing lol
Old 05-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
i wish i can do that i have almost 70,000 invested in this car from labor to parts tried another on apprently my 5 cables i have for this car are bad!! idk what to do i feel like crushing this thing lol
Do you mean USB cables? Again, you need to try it with another computer, not another cable. If the ecu won't talk to a different computer, then the ecu is bad. My advice (primarily based on your frustration level) is to get a bone-stock ecu and get rid of the Autronic. Standalone ecu's are only for someone with either deep pockets (to pay installers/tuners) or someone with a lot of patience, time and expertise.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
mandil23
Stock

found the problem never take a toyota to a chevy man is a and the second is it was the crank position sensor and the injectors had to be 850 not 450 and the they guy put the wrong plug in my car too lol will be on the road by the end of the week and btw the stand alone was installed by the pros in lexigtion ky called racing technology company and it wasnt that lol
Old 05-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
found the problem never take a toyota to a chevy man is a and the second is it was the crank position sensor and the injectors had to be 850 not 450 and the they guy put the wrong plug in my car too lol will be on the road by the end of the week and btw the stand alone was installed by the pros in lexigtion ky called racing technology company and it wasnt that lol
Hmmm...wasn't the injector problem the 'hunch' I provided in my first post (above)? Glad you've got the problem solved!