Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 08-20-2009, 04:34 AM   #11
top-tuner
Stock

top-tuner is on a distinguished road
Default top-tuner

Hi Guys,
Greetings to all......

Does anyone knows the coolant and intake air temp
values in volts for cold and hot ?????
My engine is a 2JZGTE twin turbo 3 liter ...

Grt......
top-tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #12
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by top-tuner View Post
Hi Guys,
Greetings to all......

Does anyone knows the coolant and intake air temp
values in volts for cold and hot ?????
My engine is a 2JZGTE twin turbo 3 liter ...

Grt......
Not sure offhand, but I'm sure the TSRM (Toyota Supra Repair Manual) has this info. I'd strongly recommend you get a copy before you try to work on your Supra...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #13
top-tuner
Stock

Default top-tuner

Thanks for this advise i will purchase one at the
dealer in Japan sinds my vehicle is a righthand drive
Supra 6 speed....

Grt.....
Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #14
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by top-tuner View Post
Thanks for this advise i will purchase one at the
dealer in Japan sinds my vehicle is a righthand drive
Supra 6 speed....

Grt.....
The UK version should be applicable to almost everything on your Supra. It'd be in English, and RHD. However, even the US version has the correct voltages for the intake air temp and coolant temp sensors (they're the same in both the US-spec and the Japanese-spec Mkiv's)...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-21-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:13 AM   #15
top-tuner
Stock

Default top-tuner

I will try to purchased a US specs version.
When i checked the input coolant voltage when
engine is cold it reads 1.85 volts !!!!
The output of the ECU is at 5 volts when the connector
is disconnected so there is a faulty signal for
the ECU to go in rich condition !!!

Thanks....
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 AM   #16
bigdame67
Stock

bigdame67 is on a distinguished road
Default simILAR PROBLEM

My car (1994 n/a 5 speed manual) is doing some weird thing. It will shut off and stall out from time to time and toyota doesn't really know. They believes it maybe a short in the dashh harness, engine harness or ecu problem. The way they explained it, when you turn the key on without cranking it. If the check engine light goes off before starting, the car won't start. But if the light stays on before you crank it, it will crank. Some days it will drive fine, then some days i will drive good for 5-15 mins, then dies. When it dies, it hard to start it up again. When it dies, it may start back up in 5 mins or sometimes 30 mins. The car would never do this with my mechanic but he have gotten the following codes: Tps, distributor. Toyota dealership got codes: Egr and tps, and they replaced the check engine light control board (malfunction indicator lamp assembly). They are wanting to check the dash harness, then engine harness, but no guarantee if that's the problem. Wanting to charge me over $3000 on guessing..... I don't know what to do. And if it is a harness problem, good luck finding harnesses as they don't make them anymore...any ideas. The inginator and fuel pump checked out. I had it tuned up the first time this problem occured but that didn't fix the problem.
bigdame67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #17
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdame67 View Post
My car (1994 n/a 5 speed manual) is doing some weird thing. It will shut off and stall out from time to time and toyota doesn't really know. They believes it maybe a short in the dashh harness, engine harness or ecu problem. The way they explained it, when you turn the key on without cranking it. If the check engine light goes off before starting, the car won't start. But if the light stays on before you crank it, it will crank. Some days it will drive fine, then some days i will drive good for 5-15 mins, then dies. When it dies, it hard to start it up again. When it dies, it may start back up in 5 mins or sometimes 30 mins. The car would never do this with my mechanic but he have gotten the following codes: Tps, distributor. Toyota dealership got codes: Egr and tps, and they replaced the check engine light control board (malfunction indicator lamp assembly). They are wanting to check the dash harness, then engine harness, but no guarantee if that's the problem. Wanting to charge me over $3000 on guessing..... I don't know what to do. And if it is a harness problem, good luck finding harnesses as they don't make them anymore...any ideas. The inginator and fuel pump checked out. I had it tuned up the first time this problem occured but that didn't fix the problem.
If the code says TPS, I'd start by swapping out the TPS. Be careful though - it needs to be adjusted perfectly in order for everything to run right. The screws holding the TPS in use Loctite for a reason.

Best case you can find a used TPS from another Supra that you can use as a test. Also, check the harness with a multimeter.

I had a problem with my TPS once because some moisture got into it.

All these troubleshooting steps are in the TSRM - you need to get one because the Mkiv Supra is too rare for your local dealership to keep one on the shelf.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #18
bigdame67
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
If the code says TPS, I'd start by swapping out the TPS. Be careful though - it needs to be adjusted perfectly in order for everything to run right. The screws holding the TPS in use Loctite for a reason.

Best case you can find a used TPS from another Supra that you can use as a test. Also, check the harness with a multimeter.

I had a problem with my TPS once because some moisture got into it.

All these troubleshooting steps are in the TSRM - you need to get one because the Mkiv Supra is too rare for your local dealership to keep one on the shelf.
Thank you for your feedback
Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #19
bigdame67
Stock

Default Replaced ECM

After purchasing the TSRM (great investment); it ended up being my ECM. You can purchase a TSRM brand new from toyota (www.helminc.com or 1-800-782-4356) for $260, but I found a set of used; like new on ebay for $150.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #20
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdame67 View Post
After purchasing the TSRM (great investment); it ended up being my ECM. You can purchase a TSRM brand new from toyota (www.helminc.com or 1-800-782-4356) for $260, but I found a set of used; like new on ebay for $150.
Thanks for keeping us up to date! Congratulations on successfully troubleshooting your issue, and for your purchase of the TSRM(s).