Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 04-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Curtis
Stock

Curtis is on a distinguished road
Default Quick question

Hi i'm new here and a have a quick question for you,

the other day i was reading that the mk3 supra's mainly govern at 250km/h

and the right hand drive cars all govern at 180km/hour because japan had a cap on them or something.

Is this ture, and if so does it apply to MK4 supra's?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Hi i'm new here and a have a quick question for you,

the other day i was reading that the mk3 supra's mainly govern at 250km/h

and the right hand drive cars all govern at 180km/hour because japan had a cap on them or something.

Is this ture, and if so does it apply to MK4 supra's?
Yes, MK4s are electronically limited to 155mph. However, this is easily bypassed in US-spec MK4s by pulling the trac fuse.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-25-2009 at 09:50 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
Curtis
Stock

Okay cool, im looking at an Mk4 1993 with 78 000 km 2jz non turbo for $9000, worth it?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Okay cool, im looking at an Mk4 1993 with 78 000 km 2jz non turbo for $9000, worth it?
For what it's worth, imo, I'd never buy a non-turbo. It's nowhere near the car that the TT is - pretty much every component is downgraded except the chassis itself.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Curtis
Stock

Yeah i see what you mean, i can always buy a single turbo for it. And its a 2jz, so great potential right?

It's an automatic btw, want the link?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Yeah i see what you mean, i can always buy a single turbo for it. And its a 2jz, so great potential right?

It's an automatic btw, want the link?
The 2jz-gte and the 2jz-ge are similar engines, but they are not the same. The non-turbo ('ge') version has higher compression pistons (which is bad for forced induction), a completely different cylinder head, and no oil squirters to cool the pistons. Add that to the fact that the entire abs braking system, transmission, differential, ignition, ecu, suspension, etc., etc. on the non-turbo mkiv is all downgraded. Without a huge investment, it'll never be anywhere near what you'd get if you'd start with a tt in the first place.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-27-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
Curtis
Stock

What about the single turbo's? How bad are they?

Sorry about all the questions but i don't have 30, 000 for a tt.

My friend has an 88 mk3, with a 7m-ge non-turbo, can he put a turbo on it, possibly tt?

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-28-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:41 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
What about the single turbo's? How bad are they?

Sorry about all the questions but i don't have 30, 000 for a tt.

My friend has an 88 mk3, with a 7m-ge non-turbo, can he put a turbo on it, possibly tt?
Single turbo upgrade kits are great, especially on an engine designed for forced induction (like the 2jz-gte).

Any engine can be 'upgraded' to handle forced induction, but it won't measure up to an engine that was specifically designed for it. For example, you can lower the compression a bit by using a thicker headgasket...but that changes the shape of the combustion chamber which negatively affects the engine's performance. In theory, you could take a 2jz-ge, change the pistons, mount oil squirters inside the block, and port the head to better handle the forced induction...but doing all of that properly (including reassembly) would probably cost about $4K or so. Add to that the cost of the single turbo kit, plus installation, the upgrades to the ignition, fuel system, brakes, suspension, transmission, and differential, and you're looking at a LOT more than the $ it would have taken to get a TT in the first place. You may not have the $ for a TT right now, but work hard for a few more months and you'll have the car you know you really want right from the start. Just mho.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Curtis
Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Single turbo upgrade kits are great, especially on an engine designed for forced induction (like the 2jz-gte).

Any engine can be 'upgraded' to handle forced induction, but it won't measure up to an engine that was specifically designed for it. For example, you can lower the compression a bit by using a thicker headgasket...but that changes the shape of the combustion chamber which negatively affects the engine's performance. In theory, you could take a 2jz-ge, change the pistons, mount oil squirters inside the block, and port the head to better handle the forced induction...but doing all of that properly (including reassembly) would probably cost about $4K or so. Add to that the cost of the single turbo kit, plus installation, the upgrades to the ignition, fuel system, brakes, suspension, transmission, and differential, and you're looking at a LOT more than the $ it would have taken to get a TT in the first place. You may not have the $ for a TT right now, but work hard for a few more months and you'll have the car you know you really want right from the start. Just mho.
I was hoping on spending around 12, 000. Should i stick to mk3, or go for an mk4 with a gte, then upgrade to a turbo?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
I was hoping on spending around 12, 000. Should i stick to mk3, or go for an mk4 with a gte, then upgrade to a turbo?
Actually the gte already comes with twin turbos.

I'm going to pick "option 3" out of the two choices you provided: Just wait and save $ a bit longer, and then get the car you really want.

Again, just mho.

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-29-2009 at 09:42 PM.