Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 11-12-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
20comer
Stock

20comer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Need some Enlightenment

Hi all. My first post here.
1-
I have been reading some posts of this forum and as a future supra owner I have to ask for your help on some doubts.
There is so much wrong info on what path choose when BPU and what BPU config choose to better support a single Turbo conversion...I am kinda confuse in this.
2-
I would like to know a rough estimative for the price of a complete suportive BPU and after, a solid 600 rwhp (or a 500wrwhp for price comparison) on pump gas 100 EU octane fuel(if possible) and everything not engine related you would recomend me for this setup.
I live in Portugal...yeah I know kinda sucks because very few supras around here. Even so I must fight the power and get one. I would like to know if there is any way of putting together this 600rwhp config without handing the car over to some mecanic (dangerous in portugal lol).
One last thing...Do you recomend widebody kits? If so is their instalation hard?
Thanks a lot and so sorry for the never ending post.
20comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:47 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20comer View Post
...There is so much wrong info on what path choose when BPU and what BPU config choose to better support a single Turbo conversion...I am kinda confuse in this.
BPU is mods with the stock twins only. Most of the parts have to be swapped out again when you go to a single.

Quote:
...I would like to know a rough estimative for the price of a complete suportive BPU
Only about $1500 USD.

Quote:
...and after, a solid 600 rwhp (or a 500wrwhp for price comparison) on pump gas 100 EU octane fuel(if possible)
Sorry that may not be possible. Likely you'll need methanol injection to supplement both your fuel volume and your octane in order to achieve 600rwhp via a 6spd. I'd estimate at least another $9K USD for everything including tuning time on the dyno.

Quote:
... and everything not engine related you would recomend me for this setup.
Basically, you'll need a complete single turbo kit, a fuel system, and a fuel controller. Optionally, throw in wider rims, a nice exhaust system, and a good front-mount intercooler system. You may need more, but I'd need to know exactly how you will be using the car after it's been upgraded in order for me to advise you further.
Quote:
...I live in Portugal...yeah I know kinda sucks because very few supras around here. Even so I must fight the power and get one. I would like to know if there is any way of putting together this 600rwhp config without handing the car over to some mecanic (dangerous in portugal lol).
Yep no problem...but you've got a lot of research to do so that you can do it all yourself. You need to start reading the TSRM (Toyota Supra Repair Manual) and the NCF (New Car Features) manuals from Toyota.
Quote:
...One last thing...Do you recomend widebody kits?
Only if you are going to run really wide rims...13" wide rims won't fit under the stock body.
Quote:
...If so is their instalation hard?
Yes. Lots of guys have spent well over $15K USD in parts and labor to get a widebody done right, and then painted.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
20comer
Stock

Talking ty

Thanks Pawpanas you are always a great help and inspiration xD
Whats the max boost pressure can I SAFELY run in a 100 octane EU rated fuel?And what power would result of that setup?
So sorry but never did quite understand meth and water. I understand its good to pump up octane and prevent knock-->more boost-->more power. But is it easy to find? Is it practical for everyday use or only when power is needed?how is it just trow into the fuel tank?
Widebody kit is out of question for now then
If I got it right you told that if I go straight from stock to single T I may save some money in midle mods?
Last, to achieve this kind of power is there any turbo size/model or brand you would recommend?
Sorry for this never ending questions.
Thanks m8
Old 11-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Thanks Pawpanas you are always a great help and inspiration xD
Whats the max boost pressure can I SAFELY run in a 100 octane EU rated fuel?And what power would result of that setup?
So sorry but never did quite understand meth and water. I understand its good to pump up octane and prevent knock-->more boost-->more power. But is it easy to find? Is it practical for everyday use or only when power is needed?how is it just trow into the fuel tank?
Widebody kit is out of question for now then
If I got it right you told that if I go straight from stock to single T I may save some money in midle mods?
Last, to achieve this kind of power is there any turbo size/model or brand you would recommend?
Sorry for this never ending questions.
Thanks m8
What's the motor octane of 100 octane EU rated fuel?

Meth is pretty easy to find - most hardware stores will have something called "denatured alcohol" ... it's a suitable substitute if you can't find methanol. Also, most companies that distribute race fuel will also distribute methanol. Alcohol+water (about a 75-25 or 90-10 mix) is very effective for everyday use AND when power is needed, for 600rwhp or 700rwhp or so. You don't just throw it in the tank (like you can with race fuel) - for alcohol injection, you need a whole separate system (pump+fogger+controls).

You can make 500rwhp (through a 6spd) with the oem twins and a shot of nitrous. For 600rwhp (through a 6spd), you'll need approximately a T61 (61mm inducer) sized turbo.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-14-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
20comer
Stock

Wink ?

Thanks again for the reply. However I dont think I will go for the meth path. I really dont know if the octane level of EU and USA match but 100 is the max you can find in the pump here.Like bp ultimate. Sorry to ask again but I wasnt quite sure...how much power on regular fuel is possible. When you said that turbo was good for 600 rwhp is it on pump gas?
How much would that turbo kit cost (average)
You know a good place in europe to buy them?
Thanks a lot again
Old 11-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Thanks again for the reply. However I dont think I will go for the meth path. I really dont know if the octane level of EU and USA match but 100 is the max you can find in the pump here.Like bp ultimate. Sorry to ask again but I wasnt quite sure...how much power on regular fuel is possible. When you said that turbo was good for 600 rwhp is it on pump gas?
How much would that turbo kit cost (average)
You know a good place in europe to buy them?
Thanks a lot again
Nope no 600rwhp on pump gas - you'll need to supplement with methanol.

Turbo kits are at least $4500 USD for one that is 100% complete, and with a professional fit and finish.