Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 03-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
bungeye
Stock

bungeye is on a distinguished road
Default new guy to supras

Hey everyone
just some questions, i just bought me a 1996 supra and its in need of a tune up are the toyota dealers allright to send it to?
its non turbo (dont know if that makes a difference)
my last car was a 1993 honda prelude so i was allso wondering if it would be difficult to get a turbo installed, would a twin turbo or single turbo be better?

Thanks
bungeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungeye View Post
Hey everyone
just some questions, i just bought me a 1996 supra and its in need of a tune up are the toyota dealers allright to send it to?
its non turbo (dont know if that makes a difference)
my last car was a 1993 honda prelude so i was allso wondering if it would be difficult to get a turbo installed, would a twin turbo or single turbo be better?

Thanks
Toyota dealers are okay to send it to for a tune-up, but they're not ideal. The best is to do your own research and then take care of it properly yourself. For example, will your dealer install new PVC hoses and use anti-seize compounts when he changes the spark plugs? It's a crap shoot. If you do it yourself, you know it's done right.

They don't make a twin turbo kit for the non-turbo mkiv supra.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
bungeye
Stock

oh ok
yeah about that im not really mechanicly minded so i wouldnt really know where to start and what to do (computer geek turning car enthusest)
i got a stock 2JZ-GE what would need doing for a tune-up he cars only done about 62500 k's and is due for a survice at 63800 k's
also the guy i bought it off said it was FR drive, i dont understand is it front or rear weel drive
and also is 98 octane fuel ok to run it on the last owner was running it on 96

how much would it cost to get a turbo installed?

thanks i know i must be a pain in the butt

Last edited by bungeye; 03-14-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
supra_91
Lexus & 550's

supra_91 is on a distinguished road

all supras are rear wheel drive

91 N/A automatic supra;K&N FIPK;2.5" custom exhaust;no cat;pacesetter header;eibach springs;tokico "blues";MKIV TT rims
supra_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
oh ok
yeah about that im not really mechanicly minded so i wouldnt really know where to start and what to do (computer geek turning car enthusest)
i got a stock 2JZ-GE what would need doing for a tune-up he cars only done about 62500 k's and is due for a survice at 63800 k's
also the guy i bought it off said it was FR drive, i dont understand is it front or rear weel drive
and also is 98 octane fuel ok to run it on the last owner was running it on 96

how much would it cost to get a turbo installed?

thanks i know i must be a pain in the butt
Regarding maintenance, the best place to start is the Toyota Supra Repair Manual (aka. 'TSRM', available from Toyota). It's got everything in there, step-by-step, with diagrams. It's not cheap, but over time it will more than pay for itself, several times over, in saved payments to a dealers and/or mechanics. My mkiv is a TT so unfortunately I can't properly/completely advise you on an n/a.

Your question about getting a turbo installed is very complex. The first clarification that comes to mind is whether you mean just the installation (labor) $, or that plus the cost of the turbo conversion kit too. Here's a link to one kit you could use, and if you install it yourself (using the TSRM), that labor is free:
Boost Logic Stage 1 NA-Turbo Kit :: Turbo Kits :: 93-97 MKIV Supra NA :: Toyota :: Boost Logic

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
bungeye
Stock

Question

oh ok thanks ill might go and c the dealer tommorw
yeah it was for the kit and instillation
owww i didnt realize it would be that much
just anouther question would i need to change my ecu for the turbo and whats a sleeper turbo'd supra mean?

Last edited by bungeye; 03-17-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
oh ok thanks ill might go and c the dealer tommorw
yeah it was for the kit and instillation
owww i didnt realize it would be that much
just anouther question would i need to change my ecu for the turbo and whats a sleeper turbo'd supra mean?
There's no need to change the ecu for low to mid rwhp/boost levels with the turbo. For higher rwhp/boost levels, the entire n/a ignition needs to be beefed up, which usually means swapping ECUs. Here's a 'stage 2' kit for comparison, with an injector upgrade:
Boost Logic Stage 2 NA-Turbo Kit :: Turbo Kits :: 93-97 MKIV Supra NA :: Toyota :: Boost Logic

An n/a that's turbo'd could be considered a 'sleeper' because folks don't expect an n/a to be fast.

P.S. The turbo kit cost is just the beginning - if it's beyond your budget, consider staying n/a. Installation on top of the turbo kit $ would be about $2K or so. Honestly though, those amounts are just a drop in the proverbial bucket. More power = more $$$$. Consider installation (labor) $, tires, race fuel, regular maintenance, etc. and it all adds up... really fast.
For example, consider the fact that the oem n/a rims aren't wide enough to provide the traction needed for increased horsepower. To keep your Supra on the road and safe after the turbo upgrade, you need wider rims & tires, which is yet another $2k+.
P.P.S. There are cheaper turbo kits out there than the ones I linked to, but they are typically a huge headache - poor fitment, poor workmanship on the welds, and a sub-standard turbo means nothing but problems and additional costs both during the installation, and long afterwards.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-18-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
bungeye
Stock

thanks for all the info
are those price NZ$?
na its kool ill just have to save my ass off to get one
Old 04-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #9
bungeye
Stock

hey pwpanas i was just wondering that link to the stage 1 turbo kit
the turbo in there the T61 its rated at 700 hp
um wouldnt that kill my engine?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
hey pwpanas i was just wondering that link to the stage 1 turbo kit
the turbo in there the T61 its rated at 700 hp
um wouldnt that kill my engine?
No. Why would you think that?

Running too little octane for your boost level is the main thing you need to worry about that can kill a 2jz at 700 hp...

Last edited by pwpanas; 04-22-2008 at 03:47 AM.