Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra

Old 11-10-2007, 04:45 AM   #1
uberbg
Stock

uberbg is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Please help...93 N/A high RPMs

i just bought a 93 supra n/a. when i start it up RPM goes down to 800 but once i press the gas it goes up to 1300-1500 and it just stays there.
i took it to the toyota dealer. they cleaened the trottle ....and now it works at even highter RPM's 2000-2100.
they said they need more time to play around with it....so i thought would ask here..
also at 60mph its at 3000 rpms...is that normal?

whats the problem?

thanks
uberbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberbg
i just bought a 93 supra n/a. when i start it up RPM goes down to 800 but once i press the gas it goes up to 1300-1500 and it just stays there.
i took it to the toyota dealer. they cleaened the trottle ....and now it works at even highter RPM's 2000-2100.
they said they need more time to play around with it....so i thought would ask here..
also at 60mph its at 3000 rpms...is that normal?

whats the problem?

thanks
I'd suggest the problem may be with your idle air control motor. Do you have the TSRM?

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
uberbg
Stock

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
I'd suggest the problem may be with your idle air control motor. Do you have the TSRM?
whats that? i dont think i have it.
the supra is stock
5 speed 180000k miles
its not showing any codes...
i thought it might be the oxygen sensor but dealer said its not it....so i dont know what to do
Old 11-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
uberbg
Stock

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas
ok i took it to the dealer again and got it checked again and they said that the problem would be an exhaust leak and they have to take the engine head out to fix it so they want 1600 for labor...
so i took it home and disasambled the idle control motor cleaned it and put it back on the car....i started it up it worked at 700rmps for 1 minute and then it went back up....
i tried to do it again but it wont go down like it did the first time.
so i'm not sure if that would be the problem or the trottle position sensor or something.
i'm gonna buy used idle contorl motor if i find one from sc300 or something hopefully it will fix it.

WHATS LEFT? lol

:/

:/
Old 11-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberbg
ok i took it to the dealer again and got it checked again and they said that the problem would be an exhaust leak and they have to take the engine head out to fix it so they want 1600 for labor...
so i took it home and disasambled the idle control motor cleaned it and put it back on the car....i started it up it worked at 700rmps for 1 minute and then it went back up....
i tried to do it again but it wont go down like it did the first time.
so i'm not sure if that would be the problem or the trottle position sensor or something.
i'm gonna buy used idle contorl motor if i find one from sc300 or something hopefully it will fix it...
It's possible the problem is in your wiring harness. I'd suggest it's time to break out the multimeter and verify continuity and eliminate the possiblitity of shorts in the harness between the ecu and the idle air control (iac) motor.

I agree swapping the iac motor is another thing that you could try. I believe the TSRM has specific steps you can take to verify the correct (or faulty) operation of your IAC motor.

Disclaimer - it's VERY hard to troubleshoot problems like this over the internet, without having the car here in person. If you don't mind the exteme limitations of trying to troubleshoot like this, I'll stick with it for as long as you would like. Please keep in mind this type of troubleshooting could lead to some wasted expense and extra time for you. Using the TSRM would be one way that could be more efficient.

Note: The TSRM (Toyota Supra Repair Manual) has a comprehensive set of troubleshooting steps that covers almost every problem. It'll pay for itself several times over if you want to work on your own Supra.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:04 AM   #6
uberbg
Stock

i added you to my yahoo msnger i hope you dont mind.
:P