Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIV Supra > MKIV FAQ

Old 07-11-2007, 12:57 AM   #1
JPDsupra
3" Exhaust

JPDsupra is on a distinguished road
Question 1000 rwhp

What is the best way to get to 1000rwhp "safely" without the car blowin up in my face( by the way I have a 1994 mkiv supra tt) I have seen some turbo kits/engine kits for the supra but what would be a better and safer method a parallel twin turbo or a single turbo and which would be quicker spooling and I am planning on a alchohol/meth injection because this will be a daily driver too. I already have wider fenders to accomodate bigger and wider tires for traction and what other modifications should I make like body, transmission wise because a guy blew his transmission when he was running his supra.
JPDsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:29 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDsupra
What is the best way to get to 1000rwhp "safely" without the car blowin up in my face( by the way I have a 1994 mkiv supra tt)...
Is your '94 Supra TT a 6spd or auto?

Either way, the #1 way to do it "safely" is with race fuel. No way you can get that on meth alone, unless you fill your entire fuel tank with it.

After you've got it firmly fixed in your mind that you absolutely will need to run race fuel in your fuel tank (no pump gas at all), you'll also need a complete fuel system upgrade, a very large turbo upgrade, a standalone ecu w/ignition amplifier, and lots of dyno tuning.

Also, the oem 2jz-gte will handle 850rwhp (6spd), but for 1000rwhp you'll need to replace the connecting rods (preferrably with Carillos).
Quote:
...I have seen some turbo kits/engine kits for the supra but what would be a better and safer method a parallel twin turbo or a single turbo and which would be quicker spooling...
Both are just as good and just as safe and just as quick spooling. Of course, the single is cheaper, and with fewer parts in theory it's more reliable. If you want to dramatically increase spool of the big twins or the big single, you'll need to run nos.
Quote:
...I am planning on a alchohol/meth injection because this will be a daily driver too....
Again, that won't be anywhere near enough to make 1000rwhp on pump gas. You'll need to either run pure meth in your fuel tank (and double the capacity of the aftermarket fuel system), or run pure race fuel.
Quote:
...I already have wider fenders to accomodate bigger and wider tires for traction...
How wide? Also, what kind of rubber do you run? There pretty much isn't a street tire on the planet that'll hook 1000rwhp...
Quote:
...and what other modifications should I make like body, transmission wise because a guy blew his transmission when he was running his supra.
Yep if you have an auto you'll need to swap it with a TH400 kit (Sound Performance makes a complete kit specifically for the Mkiv Supra TT, with a special TH400 designed to manage the variable power of the 2jz-gte with a big single).

The other mods depend on your application (drifting? autocross? highway pulls? 1/4 mile? standing mile? roadracing? 1/8th mile? daily driving? etc.)

Hopefully that info is enough for us to start a dialog...

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-17-2007 at 02:39 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
JPDsupra
3" Exhaust

Its a six speed and I'm not running any tires yet because I havent decided and I have seen other 1000 rwhp supras run on pump gas 93 octane and they didnt seem to have a problem and I have seen people achieve a lot of horsepower without race fuel.... This has nothing to do with the topic but is it true that the more displacement an engine have the faster the turbos will spool and that they will be more powerful, jw
Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
...I have seen other 1000 rwhp supras run on pump gas 93 octane and they didnt seem to have a problem...
I'm sorry to inform you that you have been badly misinformed. In other words, you really have not "seen" ANY "1000rwhp supras run" that power level "on pump gas 93 octane", because it's absolutely impracticable. If you can name even one Supra you think has done that, please post it here and I'll track down the truth for you...
Quote:
...I have seen people achieve a lot of horsepower without race fuel...
Sure, it's possible to make big power without race fuel, but only with a HUGE displacement engine (eg. a $17,000.00, big block V8 that's been bored & stroked to about 10L (632ci) of displacement)...i.e. NOT with a little 183ci 6cyl 2jz-gte (Supra engine). The only way to make anywhere near 1000rwhp with a 3L engine is with big boost (either turbo, supercharger, or chemical (aka nos)), which means very high cylinder pressures, which in turn means you must either run high octane fuel or else you will detonate (and almost instantly wreck the engine). You can make big power with a 2jz-gte, but that power comes at a price ... and the first price you must plan on paying for that big power (eg. 1000rwhp), is for race fuel.

Personally I don't see the big deal. "Race fuel" is just different 'brew' of dinosaur remains. A 3L engine means you can still make 25+mpg on the highway (off boost, of course), which is something you could never do with a 10L big block v8. Sure the fill-up will be a bit more pricey when you choose to put down that 1000rwhp...but a 3L engine is lighter too, which helps overall hp-to-weight ratio!
Quote:
...This has nothing to do with the topic but is it true that the more displacement an engine have the faster the turbos will spool and that they will be more powerful...
It all depends on exactly what you mean by "faster" and "more powerful". If you mean "faster" in terms of 1/4 mile times (or time ticking on a stopwatch), then probably not (i.e. not "faster"). If you mean "faster" in terms of making power sooner in the rpm band, then maybe yes (even though a downshift instantly eliminates that advantage). If you mean "more powerful" in terms of total horsepower, then probably not. If you mean "more powerful" in terms of total horsepower at a given/specific boost level and octane combination, then maybe yes.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-23-2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #5
JPDsupra
3" Exhaust

thanx for the info and answering all my questions and what octane race fuel should i use? By the way your extremely smart and basically knows everthing about supras and engines agan thanx for the help.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
thanx for the info and answering all my questions and what octane race fuel should i use? By the way your extremely smart and basically knows everthing about supras and engines agan thanx for the help.
Glad to help.

The octane of fuel depends mainly on how much boost you need to run. To make 1000rwhp with a 6spd, you'll likely have to run about 32psi of boost (depending on turbo size, timing curve, tuning, cams, etc.), which means you'll probably need pure c16 (116 octane) fuel in the tank.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:12 AM   #7
JPDsupra
3" Exhaust

Ok so 116 octane fuel, what turbo size and what kind of turbos would you recommend and what would be any company that does the type of fuel system upgrade that I need to run and what other adjustments like strengthening the block or anything else I would need, btw how much does 116 octane fuel cost?

Last edited by JPDsupra; 07-16-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:25 AM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
Ok so 116 octane fuel, what turbo size and what kind of turbos would you recommend...
For 1000rwhp (6spd) you'll need a 76mm turbo. Sound-Performance is a great company to choose, since they've pre-matched & tested both the compressor and the turbine a/r to the needs of the 2jz-gte.
Quote:
...and what would be any company that does the type of fuel system upgrade that I need to run...
Sound Performance also sells fuel systems. I used to make and sell them too, before I started working 12+hr days at my new job...
Quote:
...and what other adjustments like strengthening the block...
Again, only the connecting rods need to be changed over 850rwhp. Everything else is just fine for 1000rwhp.
Quote:
...or anything else I would need...
You'll need a different intake plenum - the oem plenum is only flow balanced to about 750rwhp or so. I like this one, by Virtual Works.
Quote:
...btw how much does 116 octane fuel cost?
I'd guess about $9/gal...

Old 07-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
JPDsupra
3" Exhaust

One more thing what should I do to the tranmission I know you said to rebuild it but where should I go and what parts should I get to upgrade the transmission. I really dont like rollcages but I think it would be smart to put one in what would be a good rollcage that wont obstruct like when I get out of the car or anything else because I really dont want it to look like a full blown race car. what would be a good suspension upgrade
Old 07-17-2007, 02:08 AM   #10
pwpanas
Supra Owner

Quote:
One more thing what should I do to the tranmission I know you said to rebuild it...
Really? If it's a 6spd, there's no need to rebuild, and I never said to rebuild it (see above "if you have an auto"). Several Mkiv's have run 1400rwhp+ through the 6spd getrag...
Quote:
...but where should I go and what parts should I get to upgrade the transmission...
Again, if it's a 6spd, don't "upgrade" it.
Quote:
...I really dont like rollcages but I think it would be smart to put one in what would be a good rollcage that wont obstruct like when I get out of the car or anything else because I really dont want it to look like a full blown race car....
You can't have it both ways...the best would be a fully custom cage.
Quote:
...what would be a good suspension upgrade
Again, what is your application? (I already asked you this question, at the end of post #2, above)...

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-17-2007 at 02:40 AM.