Thread: 1000 rwhp
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDsupra
...I have seen other 1000 rwhp supras run on pump gas 93 octane and they didnt seem to have a problem...
I'm sorry to inform you that you have been badly misinformed. In other words, you really have not "seen" ANY "1000rwhp supras run" that power level "on pump gas 93 octane", because it's absolutely impracticable. If you can name even one Supra you think has done that, please post it here and I'll track down the truth for you...
Quote:
...I have seen people achieve a lot of horsepower without race fuel...
Sure, it's possible to make big power without race fuel, but only with a HUGE displacement engine (eg. a $17,000.00, big block V8 that's been bored & stroked to about 10L (632ci) of displacement)...i.e. NOT with a little 183ci 6cyl 2jz-gte (Supra engine). The only way to make anywhere near 1000rwhp with a 3L engine is with big boost (either turbo, supercharger, or chemical (aka nos)), which means very high cylinder pressures, which in turn means you must either run high octane fuel or else you will detonate (and almost instantly wreck the engine). You can make big power with a 2jz-gte, but that power comes at a price ... and the first price you must plan on paying for that big power (eg. 1000rwhp), is for race fuel.

Personally I don't see the big deal. "Race fuel" is just different 'brew' of dinosaur remains. A 3L engine means you can still make 25+mpg on the highway (off boost, of course), which is something you could never do with a 10L big block v8. Sure the fill-up will be a bit more pricey when you choose to put down that 1000rwhp...but a 3L engine is lighter too, which helps overall hp-to-weight ratio!
Quote:
...This has nothing to do with the topic but is it true that the more displacement an engine have the faster the turbos will spool and that they will be more powerful...
It all depends on exactly what you mean by "faster" and "more powerful". If you mean "faster" in terms of 1/4 mile times (or time ticking on a stopwatch), then probably not (i.e. not "faster"). If you mean "faster" in terms of making power sooner in the rpm band, then maybe yes (even though a downshift instantly eliminates that advantage). If you mean "more powerful" in terms of total horsepower, then probably not. If you mean "more powerful" in terms of total horsepower at a given/specific boost level and octane combination, then maybe yes.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 07-23-2007 at 02:35 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote