Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 08-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
AmundRe
Stock

AmundRe is on a distinguished road
Default Modding tips

I have a 1989 Toyota Supra with a 7M-GE engine in it. I want to turn it into a tuner, but seeing as how I dont make a whole lot of money, I want to know what is even doable before I go out and buy it. So basically, I am looking for advice from people who are experienced in tuning the Supra.

Here's my basic plan: I want to put a turbocharger on the engine, horsepower isn't really an issue right now so I just want what I can afford. I also want to pull out the stock seats and replace them with bucket racing seats with 4 point racing harnesses. I want to redo the interior from burgandy to jet black and red, with red LED's in the guages. I want to put an intercooler on the engine with the obligatory blowback valve and I want to get new injectors to hangle the increased necessity for fuel. I also want to put a high induction air intake on with several ECU upgrades in addition to a performance muffler. And maybe if possible, a twin turbo and nitrous tanks but I think that might be pushing it.

I want to know, what of this (if any) is possible on the engine that I have and how much would it run me (approximately). Also, I had someone suggest to me putting in a Nissan Skyline engine, is that a good idea, as in, would it be cheaper to get a higher performing engine than to modify the on I have?
AmundRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
oowee623
3" Exhaust

oowee623 is on a distinguished road

why a skyline engine? just drop in a 1jz-gte, direct fit into your engine bay and its already twin turbo and as for the guages just replace the green bulbs with red ones. i have no respect for supra with non toyota engines. for all i care drop a 4a-ge or a 3s-gte in it ill still respect that. leave that rb2(x) in a nissan

Quote:
Originally Posted by supradaddy0803
the results of your work will be very nice when you push the gas and hold on for dear life.
oowee623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
west_side_supra
12psi boost

west_side_supra is on a distinguished road

uh skyline engine. hmm dont think that will fit but you never know people do crazy things.

from what i have seen from previous people wanting to do a turbo charged setup with an NA it sounds like to much work and more money than nessisarry so ill tell you what everyone else will tell you , GET THE 7MGTE or if you have the money 1jz or if you really dont mind spending about 3k 2jz.

but swaping out a 7MGT with the 7MGTE will save you a bunch off the line, plus you will then get the turbo. and spend about 1k to get a motor with probably less mileage than what you have right now on your non tubo engine.

if you want you can twin turbo the GTE motor but requires a little more work. and as you brang it up about bigger injectors then you probably heard of fuel cut. you need to go either MAP sensor, Standalone, Engine management, or a lexus MAF. then get the bigger injectors. then fuel pump to accomidate all that air being forced into the engine. and to keep a good steady A/f ratio.

red led lights for the dash. well thats simple goto like a auto place and buy some new push bulbs they are like 1$ a piece and just get the red ones. or from what i have heard just take off the little green covers and use a red marker on the bulbs or even touch up paint.

and also how much money are your planning on spending?

7MGTE - 500hp never dyno'd
exhaust: 3inch pipes no cat/powerhouse manifold/garret gt47 18psi/HKS SS racing wastegate
fidenza cam gears
intake: PHR 4inch intake/K&N filter/3 inch intercooler/ pipeFMIC/greddy type R bov/
fuel: 550cc PTE/ walbro 255lp / Aeromotive adj pressure regulator
transmission: Fidenza flywheel/ACT extreme kit
electronics: map ecu 1 / HKS EVC 9
gauges:boost,EGT,oil temp & pressure/aem AFR
west_side_supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
west_side_supra
12psi boost

west_side_supra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oowee623
why a skyline engine? just drop in a 1jz-gte, direct fit into your engine bay and its already twin turbo and as for the guages just replace the green bulbs with red ones. i have no respect for supra with non toyota engines. for all i care drop a 4a-ge or a 3s-gte in it ill still respect that. leave that rb2(x) in a nissan
you gotta say though that would be a interesting swap, to bad we cant get an AWD with transitional rear ends like them STI's make racing alot easier

7MGTE - 500hp never dyno'd
exhaust: 3inch pipes no cat/powerhouse manifold/garret gt47 18psi/HKS SS racing wastegate
fidenza cam gears
intake: PHR 4inch intake/K&N filter/3 inch intercooler/ pipeFMIC/greddy type R bov/
fuel: 550cc PTE/ walbro 255lp / Aeromotive adj pressure regulator
transmission: Fidenza flywheel/ACT extreme kit
electronics: map ecu 1 / HKS EVC 9
gauges:boost,EGT,oil temp & pressure/aem AFR
west_side_supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
Supra2NR
1000whp postwhore

Supra2NR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_side_supra
you gotta say though that would be a interesting swap, to bad we cant get an AWD with transitional rear ends like them STI's make racing alot easier
sum skylines are rwd,
and the swap is actually easier than you think

jus need proper measurements, the right tools, a gifted welder. and a good machine shop, and sumbody how can turn a block of metal into a motor mount, and other stuff

Into Bikes now,, apparently the supra couldnt kill me, so my zx6 might lol
Supra2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
shiftysupra
3" Exhaust

shiftysupra is on a distinguished road

painting or coloring a lightbulb is asking for trouble. causes too much heat and could short circuit or fire.
shiftysupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
OfnaRcR
3" Exhaust

OfnaRcR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oowee623 View Post
cause he's a noob..
OfnaRcR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
Chambers
walbro fp

Chambers is on a distinguished road

Ideally to turbo a NA, you should get another engine. With a spare engine you can learn exactly how the engine works, and then you can better understand what has to be done to turbo it. That and you can rebuild it so you know it will be good under boost.

If you plan on buying a after market turbo to put onto your NA you are looking at starting at approximately $500-$700. Then you would need to get some "headers" to mount it upon, another $200. With that "header" you will need a wastegate, $270. Then you would need a custom downpipe and wastegate dump, which could be real cheap, depends on who you know.

After that you will need to address the oil problem, the NA block doesn't have a oil return hole as the turbo block does. The way around this is to drill a hole in the oil pan and weld a fitting to it. After that you would need to tap into the oil pressure sensor with a "T" fitting to feed the turbo with oil.

Then you will need a blow off valve $100-$300, intercooler $150-$500, and intercooler tubing $150-$300.

At this time, you are looking at well over $1600 and electronics haven't been touched yet. You can do electronics pretty cheaply, Apexi SAFC is only $200-$300, this fuel controller is decent but its a universal unit, so the tuning capability's are limited. I would recommend the Maft Pro, with that you can run a few diffrent set ups and tune each one more so than the Apexi. A install kit from horsepowerfreaks.com will cost about $400-$850.

I'm not telling you not to turbo you car, if you really want to do it go for it, but in the end the cost effective way is to purchase a JDM 7M-GTE. They can run from $1000 up to $1500, depending on where you buy it from and if it comes with a harness, ECU, and tranny.

Good luck.

By the way, can we get some pics of this car?

1986.5 Toyota Supra - NA - 5 spd
1986 Ford Ranger Lowrider - 5 spd
1984 Ford Ranger XLT - 7" Lift - 4X4 - Auto
"Stuck in the 80's"

Last edited by Chambers; 08-07-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote