Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 05-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
hangsupra
12psi boost

hangsupra is on a distinguished road
Default front coil spring...

i got a 89 supra n/a... and its automatic...
i got the supra from my nephew...
the car got a nissan z rims on it...
its a 16" rims...
with 225 55r60 front and rear....

last month... i cut the front top spring like 2.5 or 3"...
i install and everything work out ok..
i drive the car for about 3 weeks later...
the front left tire is srcatch the bottom of the car...
so thats my problem...

is it that i drop the front too low or is it my bearing worn out or wat is it...

60% sure that i needing new wheel bearing...
the front shocks are new... 2weeks old...

last couple days... i went to the pick and pull and get myself a new front set of the coil spring... and cut the same like the one i cut before...
and i put it on... and it still does the same...
it still eat up the uder fender... it only does that when i turn to the right...
and its only does that on the driver side only...
the right side is ok...it didnt eat out my under fender...

so anyone with any suggestion..... that will help...

can anyone help me...

Last edited by hangsupra; 05-31-2007 at 01:06 AM.
hangsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:39 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Stop hacking springs and buy a set of good lower springs made for the task. Not only are the springs already worn out but you're creating a situation where the spring rates may be unpredictable and as a result unsafe.

There, now that I've said it and feel better...

You need to keep in mind that there is more weight on the driver's side of the car... especially the N/A. Then there's the fact that even old worn springs will need to settle again when reinstalled after they've been taken out for a while.

If the springs are getting hot from whatever method you're using to cut them you may also be anealing the metal... this softens the metal and kills the elastic properties.

So, when you cut them cut them higher than you want in the end, don't cut them both to the exact same height (leave the driver's side a little taller), and keep them cool when cutting (don't use a torch and if you're using a powered saw or angle grinder use lots of cutting oil).

I don't recommend cutting springs though.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
hangsupra
12psi boost

i just using those couple round inche grinder and cut it... i didnt use any oil or watever you wanna call it...
and i never thought that it will melt down the spring or over heating the spring and the spring becoming softer...
but whoever the spring i getting this time is funny i mean wear... because the spring have magnet anything close to the spring... it suck it together...

so i'm not sure if i over cook the spring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre
Stop hacking springs and buy a set of good lower springs made for the task. Not only are the springs already worn out but you're creating a situation where the spring rates may be unpredictable and as a result unsafe.

There, now that I've said it and feel better...

You need to keep in mind that there is more weight on the driver's side of the car... especially the N/A. Then there's the fact that even old worn springs will need to settle again when reinstalled after they've been taken out for a while.

If the springs are getting hot from whatever method you're using to cut them you may also be anealing the metal... this softens the metal and kills the elastic properties.

So, when you cut them cut them higher than you want in the end, don't cut them both to the exact same height (leave the driver's side a little taller), and keep them cool when cutting (don't use a torch and if you're using a powered saw or angle grinder use lots of cutting oil).

I don't recommend cutting springs though.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

You're just cutting it with a Dremel? That won't create enough heat to aneal the metal.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
hangsupra
12psi boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre
You're just cutting it with a Dremel? That won't create enough heat to aneal the metal.

i dont know what is dremel was...

but this is what i using to cut the spring....

i using this hand grander from home depot...

calling "RYOBI" and its a 4" Grinder.... disk....

thats what i were using to cut my front spring.....
Old 06-03-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Well if you insist on doing it just go slow. If the metal starts getting hot coll it with some cutting oil periodically.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road

Dude springs don't cost much.

You can get eibachs for around 225 bucks.

You are making this more difficult than it needs to be.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote