View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
hangsupra
12psi boost

hangsupra is on a distinguished road

i just using those couple round inche grinder and cut it... i didnt use any oil or watever you wanna call it...
and i never thought that it will melt down the spring or over heating the spring and the spring becoming softer...
but whoever the spring i getting this time is funny i mean wear... because the spring have magnet anything close to the spring... it suck it together...

so i'm not sure if i over cook the spring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre
Stop hacking springs and buy a set of good lower springs made for the task. Not only are the springs already worn out but you're creating a situation where the spring rates may be unpredictable and as a result unsafe.

There, now that I've said it and feel better...

You need to keep in mind that there is more weight on the driver's side of the car... especially the N/A. Then there's the fact that even old worn springs will need to settle again when reinstalled after they've been taken out for a while.

If the springs are getting hot from whatever method you're using to cut them you may also be anealing the metal... this softens the metal and kills the elastic properties.

So, when you cut them cut them higher than you want in the end, don't cut them both to the exact same height (leave the driver's side a little taller), and keep them cool when cutting (don't use a torch and if you're using a powered saw or angle grinder use lots of cutting oil).

I don't recommend cutting springs though.
hangsupra is offline   Reply With Quote