Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 04-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

supramacist is on a distinguished road
Default New to this forum

Hello Gents.

I have a 91 na 5 spd white package.
I am currently repairing a BHG. I just purchased all of the gear needed to change it. I have an HKS stopper 2.mm MHG, Walbro fuel pump install. ARP studs. MSD Blaster SS coil. MSD 8.5mm wires. Denso iridium u groove plugs.
The head is currently in the machine shop being rebuilt. I have painted the exhaust mani. high temp flat black as the extreme heat may bake a gloss finish.
The heat shields have been painted red gloss ceramic high temp.

I just ordered the carbon fiber hood, Eibach springs, tokico tems shocks. Cusco front strut tower bar. I have also done the ac delete as well as the rear seat delete. It's going to the upholstery shop after it decides it wants to live.

It's gotten a new starter, water pump, power steering pump, new alternator.
It has the stock exhaust with a 14 inch glass pack so nothing extravagent for that area. I have modified the stock cold air intake and have ported and polished the interior and exterior of the complete air intake. The y pipe, the upper and lower plenums and even the exhaust manifold.

This car has the stock 5 stars on it and new mich. tires.
I bought the car almost 1 year ago and put 3.5k on the odometer before it finally blew.

Any responce as to anything I haven't touched on would be nice.

I also Have all the stock toyota oem belts including the drive belt. I need an Idle tensioner pulley. I'm going to the stealership today to pick up some toyota only parts for the build.
supramacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 AM   #2
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

Default New to this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by supramacist
Hello Gents.

I have a 91 na 5 spd white package.
I am currently repairing a BHG. I just purchased all of the gear needed to change it. I have an HKS stopper 2.mm MHG, Walbro fuel pump install. ARP studs. MSD Blaster SS coil. MSD 8.5mm wires. Denso iridium u groove plugs.
The head is currently in the machine shop being rebuilt. I have painted the exhaust mani. high temp flat black as the extreme heat may bake a gloss finish.
The heat shields have been painted red gloss ceramic high temp.

I just ordered the carbon fiber hood, Eibach springs, tokico tems shocks. Cusco front strut tower bar. I have also done the ac delete as well as the rear seat delete. It's going to the upholstery shop after it decides it wants to live.

It's gotten a new starter, water pump, power steering pump, new alternator.
It has the stock exhaust with a 14 inch glass pack so nothing extravagent for that area. I have modified the stock cold air intake and have ported and polished the interior and exterior of the complete air intake. The y pipe, the upper and lower plenums and even the exhaust manifold.

This car has the stock 5 stars on it and new mich. tires.
I bought the car almost 1 year ago and put 3.5k on the odometer before it finally blew.

Any responce as to anything I haven't touched on would be nice.

I also Have all the stock toyota oem belts including the drive belt. I need an Idle tensioner pulley. I'm going to the stealership today to pick up some toyota only parts for the build.
Bumpity bump bump.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:36 AM   #3
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road

"I" would not (and did not) use a metal HG. If you are not gonna have the machine shop do a super fine finish, and if you are not gonna have the block resurfaced, then you should use a MLS (OEM) gasket. Like Ishino, or Felpro. Internet.

They will easily handle the HPs you will produce. I've only read bad results for the metal HGs without the above mentioned surface preps.

How's the timing belt? Now is the time to do it. Thermostat.
ALL the coolant hoses. Vacuum too. Definately new seals on the injectors. Bosch kits work great, from any parts store ($36).

(I have an '89 N/A in the shop now that the fellow did the HG himself, in a big hurry, but it won't run good due to bad (not replaced) injector seals. A lot of work now to replace them.

Use all the hoses you can (cheaper$$) from the parts house, then you WILL NEED 1-2 from Toyota. (back of head)

New breather hose (Toyota) from head down to block (under alternator).

PCV hoses, and clean tubing. EGR system...clean everything.

Route coolant hoses off of the throttlebody. That hot water is for heating up the TB, and removing it will get cooler air into intake (cooler air = more HPs). I left it to the ISC valve. I got 2 big vacuum caps and plugged the TB pipes.

Fix everything you find wrong or messy now. Tape the wiring an route it nice. Make sure you don't allow any hoses or wiring to rub on anything. Colored Zip-ties are your friend.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:27 AM   #4
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

Right on..., we are definitley on the same page and thanks for the insight. Dually noted. I have the timing belt and just ordered the idle tensioner pully. The parts guys at my dealer ship are dolts. But I'll get them squared away.

I actually had a machined edge and a feeler gauge and I lapped my block ever so slightly and the head is definitley plained. No disrespect but the HKS stopper 2.mm should make this thing run nice and hopefully for a long time to come.

I will tear out the engine and the tranny and rebuild it from the bottom up next time if this doesn't get it done. I have been utterly gentle with all of my applications and or modifications. I only want 50hp over stock and I think I will get that.

I figure on an 8th mile track I need to hit 85 or 90mph to even have a shot at a good time and I think I can make that happen and that will be enough for me.

Don't go thinking I am not happy for your responce because I am and I know you have always given me sound advice. I'm going for bullet proof on my na. I need this car on the road to start paying for all I have vested into it.

Last edited by supramacist; 04-07-2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road

I know what you mean. I drive mine everywhere, and I want it to last for a few years. Before I did HG, I spent 2 months researching it out on the net, and gathering all the parts for the best price (without sacrificing quality).

All the parts (hoses, belts, gaskets, 'everything') cost me $400 (shop discount of course). The machine shop work cost $400.

your quote: I actually had a machined edge and a feeler gauge and I lapped my block ever so slightly and the head is definitley plained. No disrespect but the HKS stopper 2.mm should make this thing run nice and hopefully for a long time to come.

I think it should work fine, as you payed attention to the block. Also, I've read that the 'stopper' gasket makes a good seal.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
supramacist
1000whp postwhore

I don't cut corners on parts not in the least, no matter what my wife says..., LOL.

Thanks for the back up thought process there. It's nice not to get get a bunch of off topic banter.

Everyone seems cool here. I may hang around for a while if no one minds.